What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Eric Menchen »

1964 Kopke Colheita, bottled 2013 as I recall.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
John M.

Post by John M. »

Port Night with the Gents Friday...three sets of two

1997 Sandeman LBV
1998 Niepoort LBV

1994 Warre's LBV
1995 Warre's Q da Cavadinha VP

1995 Vesuvio VP
1998 Dows Quinta Senhora da Ribeira VP
Last edited by John M. on Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any Port in a storm!
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Election in Denmark.

A soft and sweet Tawny from Nieport, bottled in 1978.

Cheers.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (68.45 KiB) Viewed 2659 times
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Eric Menchen wrote:1964 Kopke Colheita, bottled 2013 as I recall.
Great from the pop-and-pour. There was a tiny pour left that I tried to finish off three days later, but it was terribly corked.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I opened bottles of Dow 1966, Cockburn 1967 and Graham 1977 as my contributions to the Sweet Spot Tasting we had in London last week (where we were trying to find out which of the vintages 1966, 1970 and 1977 is drinking the best today by comparing Dow, Graham, Taylor and Warre from each of those vintages).

The Cockburn 1967 was a bonus bottle.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote:I opened bottles of Dow 1966, Cockburn 1967 and Graham 1977 as my contributions to the Sweet Spot Tasting we had in London last week (where we were trying to find out which of the vintages 1966, 1970 and 1977 is drinking the best today by comparing Dow, Graham, Taylor and Warre from each of those vintages).

What was the results?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I opened a 1984 Kopke Colheita, bottled 2013, for some cooks and judges at the Canadian Festival of Chili & BBQ in Langley, B.C. over the weekend. From the buying opportunity, and it showed brilliantly! Various whiskeys were also consumed during the evening, but I think the Kopke was the star of the show. :)
Glenn Elliott
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Glenn E. wrote:I opened a 1984 Kopke Colheita, bottled 2013, for some cooks and judges at the Canadian Festival of Chili & BBQ in Langley, B.C. over the weekend. From the buying opportunity, and it showed brilliantly! Various whiskeys were also consumed during the evening, but I think the Kopke was the star of the show. :)
Where's the :drool: icon? A colheita I like very much, and the "Festival of Chili & BBQ" sounds right up my street too; I need a trip to Langley!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

2007 Rocha Vintage Port - I was hoping to save this for a few more years, but the sacrifice came earlier than expected. This delivered exactly up to the promise I saw when it was just born. By far and away the best Rocha VP I've ever tasted. Smooth, bold flavors and filled with finesse.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

1992 Quevedo Colheita. Something to cap off an evening that involved 7 aged rums, a California Whiskey, 2 Irish Whiskeys, an Armagnac, an Ardberg Scotch, a Bourbon-cask Anejo Tequila, a Patron Anejo for contrast, and one other bottle that I can't remember for obvious reasons!
Glenn Elliott
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Last night, a Nice and soft Ramos Pinto.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (262.76 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

After a killer 1979 Villa Mt. Eden Cabernet Sauvignon last night I opened a 20 Year Ferreira Tawny.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

1995 Ferreira Vintage Port - yummy, smooth and chocolaty.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

2008 Dow LBV; nothing to write home about. Just average at best IMO. [shrug.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

2000 Ramos Pinto Vintage Port - decent, but still too spirity for my liking.
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

1991 Gould Campbell VP
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Al B. wrote:I opened bottles of Dow 1966, Cockburn 1967 and Graham 1977 as my contributions to the Sweet Spot Tasting we had in London last week (where we were trying to find out which of the vintages 1966, 1970 and 1977 is drinking the best today by comparing Dow, Graham, Taylor and Warre from each of those vintages).

What was the results?
1966 came out top, but all three vintages were pretty darn good.

I guess this means we now need to do a 1960 / 1963 / 1966 tasting just to make sure the older wines aren't better than the 1966. But the conclusion we came to is that Vintage Port needs 50 years to be at its best.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

At a hotel that I occasionally use I came across a bottle of port whose identity was unknown and which was reasonably priced. After examining the bottle I bought it and consumed it. The cork identified it as Cockburn 1955.

It was delicious!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote:At a hotel that I occasionally use I came across a bottle of port whose identity was unknown and which was reasonably priced. After examining the bottle I bought it and consumed it. The cork identified it as Cockburn 1955.

It was delicious!
good score!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Birthday boy today and this evening I am meeting some friends here in Chicago for a wine dinner. I brought the Port and it is a 2006 bottling of 1952 Dalva Golden White, 750 ml. This was purchased in the midst of a battle for FTLOP's business by Presuntisco's owner and that of Jean Philippe, who most here know. This bottle was purchased at 80 Euros.

In a phone call on my last night in Portugal, Goncalo mentioned that not only are the very few remaining bottles of this Port in 500 ml bottles, but they're being sold by C. da Silva at 400 Euros each. Craziness. I've typically liked the 2005 bottling better, but it will be interesting to see how this shows later tonight. After this one, I only have 5 left. So this is the 31st bottle I've opened in the past decade, typically for larger groups across N. America so many people have had tastes of this wine that will likely never try it again.