Port Tourism To London?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Joshua Levy

Port Tourism To London?

Post by Joshua Levy »

I live in California, but will be visiting London soon.
Since I enjoy port, and London is famously the center of the "port trade", I was wondering if there was anything to do as a port loving tourist? I've already looked for tastings and auctions during my stay there, and found none, but I was wondering if there were any other activities worth doing? Anything worth visiting?

Joshua Levy
Al B.

Re: Port Tourism To London?

Post by Al B. »

Joshua - there's a group of us based in London and we are always looking for excuses to get together and to open a few bottles of port. If you let us know when you plan to be in London we might be able to use your visit as an excuse!

If the dates don't work out, we can still give you some ideas on port-themed activities you could try out while you're in London.
Joshua Levy

Post by Joshua Levy »

Thanks very much for the kind offer!
I'm responding via private message, because I don't want the dates I'm out of town to be on a public forum.
But please do post your thoughts on what to do and see, so that future people can see the responses!
Thanks!

Joshua
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Hi Joshua,

Firstly I would second Alex's suggestion of trying to meet up with the London-based port-heads on one evening if you are able, where I am sure you would be made to feel welcome and enjoy some good port. Several of us in the UK meet up in London with varying degrees of regularity, so definitely worth asking to see if the dates might work (noting that we normally organise our tastings online, given your comment regarding privacy).

Aside from meeting fellow port-lovers, regarding port-tourism: I love the idea of a London "Port Tour"; I expect others will likely have much more to add (particularly on any historical locations), but a few ideas below to get us started; I'll be intrigued to see what others add also.

1. Berry Bros and Rudd - A highly reputable retailer with long history with port and other wines; I would suggest to call/email them, and try to arrange a tour of their cellar(s).
2. The Sign of the Don - A restaurant/bar which until this century was owned and used by Sandeman, and is maintained with respect to them.
3. El Vino's - A famous Fleet Street wine bar - better known for its famous clientele which historically included many well known journalists and lawyers, but which also has an excellent reputation for their vintage port (based on others' trusted judgement).
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Is Churchill still doing his pop-up bars or whatever it was around London?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Andy Velebil wrote:Is Churchill still doing his pop-up bars or whatever it was around London?
Yes, but only in the summer.

Other places I can recommend for a port themed tour of London in addition to Phil's above include Hedonism (the ultimately expensive wine shop), Harrods, The Boot & Flogger (a wine bar branch of Davy's with good food and an impressive port list - I recently bought a bottle of Dow 1970 from them) and a visit to Vinopolis before it closes forever would be an interesting thing to do. However, if you do plan to visit Vinopolis then I strongly recommend that you book.

Oh yes. And Gordon's Wine Bar in Villier's Street is quite something to experience. The port is of average quality but the location is quite something.
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

interesting topic. i'll be in London in january for work and it's one of the cities where i always like to stay a bit longer for various activities and to visit people :-)
Rob C.

Post by Rob C. »

If you are looking for shops (and apart from those mentioned), Fortnum and Mason and Selfridges both have nice offerings of port / douro wines at surprisingly reasonable prices.
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

i have found that enjoying port in London is not easy when you are traveling on a tight budget :P
but i'm enjoying the city (also working a bit) and still around until monday morning.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Is the Portal restaurant still open nowadays?

I think that Berry Bros. & Rudd is a must see at least once in your lifetime kind of wine shop.

Is it Sainsbury's across the street there in Saint James area? If IIRC, from my visit to that area about 15 years ago now, Harrods was only a few blocks away and is also a must see kind of place.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike Meehan

Post by Mike Meehan »

Roy Hersh wrote:Is the Portal restaurant still open nowadays?
Sadly Portal closed about a year ago.
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

I think that Berry Bros. & Rudd is a must see at least once in your lifetime kind of wine shop.

Is it Sainsbury's across the street there in Saint James area? If IIRC, from my visit to that area about 15 years ago now, Harrods was only a few blocks away and is also a must see kind of place.
what is so special about Berry Bros? i passed by there tonight and went in the shop. they were very friendly but in a "here's what we have and if you don't buy you better leave" kind of way. i must say i don't look like their other clients (i only saw loads of men in tuxedo's drinking wine in the room next to the store) but i was out of there in less than 10 minutes. i need more time than that to think about a purchase of expensive wine. everything over 20 euro is expenisve wine for me. it all depends on your income :wink:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The history, the back courtyard where you can see where the building moved from its foundation when a German bomb landed there during WW2; the downstairs rooms that cellar their Ports, Madeiras and all other wines, including a wild quantity of Sauternes. Much more, too!

That being said, you might need to either make an appointment to be shown around the place, or have a friend that is a customer there.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

that makes sense :-)
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bert VD wrote:

what is so special about Berry Bros? i passed by there tonight and went in the shop. they were very friendly but in a "here's what we have and if you don't buy you better leave" kind of way. i must say i don't look like their other clients (i only saw loads of men in tuxedo's drinking wine in the room next to the store) but i was out of there in less than 10 minutes. i need more time than that to think about a purchase of expensive wine. everything over 20 euro is expenisve wine for me. it all depends on your income :wink:
Think of walking into a building from a Harry Potter movie, but with lots of cool wine.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Bert - how often do you visit London? There's a group of us port lovers based around London and if we'd known you were visiting we might have been able to arrange to show you some of the port sights of the city - or even to drink some of it!
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

well it was more than 2 years ago, so i made it 10 days this time but they are almost over. running a show (London Mime Festival) tomorrow night and sunday late afternoon and then back home.

i don't know when the next time will be but not in the next 2 month. anyway, London is not far from Brussels :-)