Wine Rack for 375ml/Half Bottles

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

A dschus

Wine Rack for 375ml/Half Bottles

Post by A dschus »

I have a wine rack in my basement's cellar that only holds 750 ml bottles. My half bottles are currently laying in a cupboard. Any suggestions on racks for half bottles?
- Alex
Eric Menchen

Re: Wine Rack for 375ml/Half Bottles

Post by Eric Menchen »

If you search the online sites that sell the "build a cellar" type wine racks, you can find a few options, e.g.
http://www.wineracksamerica.com/instace ... t-1col.php

My main racking is Bordex, and I wanted something to match, so I got Vinotemp to custom manufacture something for me. It took forever to get my rack correctly, and it cost a lot more than the regular racking, but in the end I got what I wanted, exact fit and space efficient:
ER8A3854_smaller.jpg
ER8A3854_smaller.jpg (103.59 KiB) Viewed 3260 times
Russ K

Post by Russ K »

I use one of my bins usually but if it needs to be racked cause of no more room what I do is I save the round / square boxes / cartons from scotch purchases, put it in the rack and put the split in it. the cartons usually fit great where a wine bottle would go and you have it laying in there for ya when you need it. Maybe not pretty but functional
Russ
A dschus

Post by A dschus »

Wow! Truly impressed with your layout and organization, Eric. Clearly long term thinking.

My budget doesn't include anything custom yet. I'll look to save in the coming year for a half bottle rack unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Alex
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

A dschus wrote:I have a wine rack in my basement's cellar that only holds 750 ml bottles. My half bottles are currently laying in a cupboard. Any suggestions on racks for half bottles?
I keep 375's in a 750 OWC's. I can put over 20+ per OWC and line up quite well.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:
A dschus wrote:I have a wine rack in my basement's cellar that only holds 750 ml bottles. My half bottles are currently laying in a cupboard. Any suggestions on racks for half bottles?
I keep 375's in a 750 OWC's. I can put over 20+ per OWC and line up quite well.
I've done this as well with some of my 1/2 bottles. A 750ml wood case often works pretty good at storing a lot of halves.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
A dschus

Post by A dschus »

- Alex
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

A dschus wrote:Something like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Bottle-French ... Sw5VFWP69L
Wow, $22 for an empty OWC. I guess since that includes the shipping it isn't terrible. But I get some of those for free from one of my local b&m shops. They don't just give them away, but when I buy a batch of bottles, some of which might have come from the OWC and some others that didn't, they let me take an OWC.
A dschus

Post by A dschus »

Eric Menchen wrote:
A dschus wrote:Something like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Bottle-French ... Sw5VFWP69L
Wow, $22 for an empty OWC. I guess since that includes the shipping it isn't terrible. But I get some of those for free from one of my local b&m shops. They don't just give them away, but when I buy a batch of bottles, some of which might have come from the OWC and some others that didn't, they let me take an OWC.
I was looking at a wine cube that was priced at $25. Same function basically.
- Alex
A dschus

Post by A dschus »

Stopped in my local Binnys (big box liquor store) and asked the wine section employee for any spare OWC. He gave one to me for free! Stacked my 10 halves and works great. Thanks to all for the guidance

- Alex
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

A dschus wrote:Stopped in my local Binnys (big box liquor store) and asked the wine section employee for any spare OWC. He gave one to me for free! Stacked my 10 halves and works great. Thanks to all for the guidance

Cool :thumbsup:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com