NO SPOILERS (Please!!!) Star Wars

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

NO SPOILERS (Please!!!) Star Wars

Post by Roy Hersh »

Without giving anything away, have you seen the new movie yet?

If so, in 3D?

How would you rate it on a 100 point scale?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Re: NO SPOILERS (Please!!!) Star Wars

Post by Thomas V »

I will return with a score after I see it tomorrow in 3D. Stay tuned.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Saw it in 3D, fine if you like the 3D stuff but not necessary.

I'd give it a 93-94. There are certainly better movies, there are better movies in the series, but with the huge amount of hype and expectation placed, it was a tremendous success of blending old with new and not mucking it all up. Well done JJ, wonderfully entertaining. I will definitely enjoy watching it many more times in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Maurice Fitzhugh

Post by Maurice Fitzhugh »

Did not see it in 3D. I would give it a 96.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

We may go on Christmas Day with every other Jew in area... [dash1.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Dislike 3D movies in general, so saw it in 2D.

As I've said elsewhere, The Force Awakens is the Star Wars movie that I didn't know I needed. It's well paced, very well made, and hits all the right notes. If you are a fan of Star Wars, this movie will affect you in ways that you cannot even imagine before you see it.

98 points. No, it isn't perfect. But damn, it's close.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

How about ranking it within the other Star Wars movies?
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Ifune wrote:How about ranking it within the other Star Wars movies?
I'm not sure yet. Top 3 easily. Tough to rank anything over the original, and of course Empire is still the best.

So I'll probably end up at 3 or tied for 2.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Third or fourth. I need to watch #3 and #7 again. I'm probably in a minority, but I liked how #3 tied together to the original trilogy.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Watched it last night in 3D.

I was very happily surprised. The movie fits well into the S.W universe and the new characters are a breath of fresh air and fits well into their roles. It is fast paced and full of action without the action scenes taking the majority of the attention. I could have wished for a bit more time for getting to know the characters, but I understand that so much needs to be explained as this movie transitions from its predecessors and a new audience needs to be caught up to speed on the past and present. The overall plot that will continue into the next movies is decent but the "big hurdle" in this particular movie has been seen before, I expect more from the writers and hope they will find new inspiration for the upcoming sequel.

Actors 93/100
Star Wars feel: 94/100
Movie plot 90/100
Future potential: 100/100

Total: 94/100
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

My reward for getting the next newsletter in your hands by Sun./Mon. is to take my daughter and her bestie to see the 3D version. Thanks for no spoilers, that is really appreciated.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

While I'm not surprised the folks here have been honoring your request, I am surprised you haven't gotten spoilers from other places. It was driven home to me just how hard it must be to avoid them in public when I was sitting at a sushi bar yesterday for lunch with a friend, and the chef perked up when we began to talk about it and said "I'm seeing it (on Christmas) gents, no spoilers please?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:Watched it last night in 3D.

I was very happily surprised. The movie fits well into the S.W universe and the new characters are a breath of fresh air and fits well into their roles. It is fast paced and full of action without the action scenes taking the majority of the attention. I could have wished for a bit more time for getting to know the characters, but I understand that so much needs to be explained as this movie transitions from its predecessors and a new audience needs to be caught up to speed on the past and present. The overall plot that will continue into the next movies is decent but the "big hurdle" in this particular movie has been seen before, I expect more from the writers and hope they will find new inspiration for the upcoming sequel.

Actors 93/100
Star Wars feel: 94/100
Movie plot 90/100
Future potential: 100/100

Total: 94/100
Saw it last night. Pretty spot on review IMO. The writers need to sit down and come up with some fresh ideas going forward for sure. The acting was good, though a few times was a little campy. Overall I really enjoyed the action.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Brad,

You are absolutely correct about avoiding spoilers. However as I've pretty much been in solitary confinement for most of the month focused on the next newsletter, that has been easy. The rare times I've been around people, (especially one night at Lisa and Vic's, even though it had not officially launched yet) it has been harder than avoiding the flu. [shrug.gif]

But alas, as my daughter is off this week and last, so on Wed. afternoon I will take her and we will FINALLY get to see it. My wife doesn't like anything with "Stars' ... Trek or Wars. Only the red carpet shows that I don't understand at all. :beat:

This weekend I went to two other movies (inappropriate for kids) and am jonesing to see the next Star Wars already. Thanks to everyone here who has been very good about not spoiling this for the rest of us. Maybe by the new year we can all talk about it more openly.

Or not. [rotfl.gif]
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

If I'm asked how old I am, I always say that on the inside I'm somewhere between 22 and 26. However, sitting in the new STAR WARS movie, I realized that inside I'm 12 or so... When the first yellow letters appeared on the screen, I joined in applauding like crazy... very emotional moment... goose-bumps... reminded me of seeing the first STAR WARS in 1977... I absolutely liked the movie... If you love the first three STAR WARS movies (episodes 4-6), I'm sure you will love this movie, too... I took my whole extended family of 7 to the movie - and even my 19 year old daughter - that likes Science Fiction as much as somebody from Boston might like a sports team from NY - loved that movie... It's absolutely entertaining; some things are predictable, others not so much - of course the story could have been better - but I settle for this movie. If it would be a Port Wine, it would be an old Tawny... a very old Tawny... late 19th century or so...
I can't wait until Episode 8 comes out... [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

I'm just back from seeing it. I managed to avoid most of the spoilers, although not quite all.
On the whole, I thought they have played it pretty well and it was certainly enjoyable. I'll probably go see it again in the next few days
There were a few times where I thought things were just a bit too convenient. There were also some nice references to the moments in the other movies (some of which are more subtle than others

I'm not quite as big a Star Wars geek as say Lisa and Vic, but I have read a lot of the books that were set after Return of the Jedi. I had always hoped that they would make the first trilogy of books written by Timothy Zahn into movies. They do seem to have taken some aspects of plotlines in later books as central themes.

One thing that really bothered me... and I don't think I'm giving too much away here... is why they hell did C3PO have a red arm? Also, how is it that Han had never managed to fire Chewbacca's crossbow before, after all those years they had spent together?
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Paul Fountain wrote:... is why they hell did C3PO have a red arm?
I think that was intentional just to get you to ask, and seek the answer, maybe in the next movie, maybe in one of the spin-offs.

Also, didn't he look a wider around the waist? I thought so, which is what nearly 40 years will do to an actor.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Just back and I was a bit disappointed by the 3D IMAX which did not seem to add that much to the viewing perception, sadly.

Overall, good ... but after the high praise here, a little bit of a let down. Way too much repeat "stuff".

Carrie Fisher has not aged gracefully either. And yes, a bit too much predictability.

For me, 88 points.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Agreed on the repeat stuff. On the 3D side, the plus is that it didn't seem like anything was done specifically to jump out at you. 3D didn't dictate how things were shot.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Agreed with Roy on the story line, but I thought the 3D, sounds, and all that was pretty over-the-top. A visual tour de force; that's for sure. If only 1-3 were produced and filmed like this was!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars