Golfing in Albufeira, May 2007. Port Excursion? Any Clues?

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Alan C.

Golfing in Albufeira, May 2007. Port Excursion? Any Clues?

Post by Alan C. »

Hi,
I'm going to play golf for a week in Albufeira starting May 19th,2007. Out of the dozen golfers, at least 4 are willing to take a day or two out to take in a Port Tour. Has anyone any clues, tour operators, recommendations,etc, as to how to go about that? We're the sort who would just get a taxi and appear in Oporto, or Lisbon, and get on with it, but any advice or assistance will be appreciated. Sunshine, golf, friends, beaches, nightlife...and a port trip! Its gonna be a tough week! And if Man Utd reach the FA Cup or Champions League Finals, which are played that week, I might not be in any condition to return!
Cheers
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Alan,

You are in luck. I will be over there at the same time. If you email me with your home phone number, I'll call you and we might be able to set up some private tasting experiences with your group. It would be very exclusive with such a small group and I'll need ot understand your depth of passion for Port and expectations before making plans.

The timing could not be better though. Have a look as to what we're all about. This just gives you an idea. We'll tailor your experience specifically for your group. You'll never have a greater appreciation for Port than a few days with us!

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I don't know about taking a taxi from Albufeira to Oporto, might cost cheaper to take the plane from Faro to Oporto. The train is also very well developped in Portugal between the main cities. Renting a car will cost you between 50-75 euros per day, maybe more if its the high season. You have to count at least 8 hours between Albufeira and Porto.

I've been in Albufeira 2 days in 2004. I've not seen a lot of nightlife going on at the place, I'd suggest to go around the cities where all the big hotels for tourists are, you'll see streets with neon lights for clubs and fast food restaurants. The beaches are really packed in the area but are very nice. If you have a chance to bring at least a mask and tuba, there are nice things to see even close to the beach : Group of small fishes, octupuses, foot long fish, it's very interesting if you like aquatic fauna.

The best place for a fun excursion during the night is ideally Lisbon. From 10 pm, be aware that there will be traffic on the bridges. A lot of the citizens are going out to clubs or just to walk in the streets having a ice cream with friends. Both the city and the suburbans get a lot of actions. I remember having my hotel in Costa da Caparica(just ouside Lisbon) right in the middle of a market that was opening from 10 pm to 3 am, there was a lot of action there.

And if you can get you schedule for a private Port tour with Roy, just jump on the occasion, it's a rare treat!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Alan,

I would also highly recommend employing Roy as a "Port Guide" for a day in Oporto. The tastings he organised for us in October were just sensational - superb ports and a great guy to talk us through what we were tasting. Well worth the effort if you can manage to fit it in.

Alex
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alan,

You must visit Vilamura when you are there. It's only minutes along the cost from Albafuera and is probably where most of the golf courses are that you will play on the trip.

I was there 7 years ago and found a great little wine/port shop. The town is centred around a Marina. Behind the buildings directly in front of the Marina (parallel to the shoreline) there is a main road with hotels on both sides. On the south (sea) side of this road, roughly level with the east corner of the Marina is a small wine shop. The interior walls of the shop are covered in clay pipes, each containing a bottle of port. I spent hours in the shop gently removing bottles to look at the label. On many occasions I pulled the boltte through a spiders web across the entrance of the clay pipe that it was stored in. Not something I think can be faked. Lots of these bottles had lay undesturbed for many years.

I bought 2 bottles from the shop to bring home - a Niepoort's LBV 1975 and a Niepoort's Colhieta 1968. Each had an old, worn price tag stuck to the top of the capsule. I cannot remember how many Escudos (pre Euro) they were but I do know that I bought both bottles for less than £30. The owner was surprised that he had them but honoured the price on the label rather than charging market value, which, at that time, was around £150.

Go find yourself some treasure and let us know what you find.

Have a great trip.

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Derek do you know the name of that wine shop?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

No, sorry, I don't - are you planning to go there?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

If the golfing is that great ... maybe!