The next FTLOP newsletter #87

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Thomas V

Re: The next FTLOP newsletter #87

Post by Thomas V »

I am currently in Vietnam for a few weeks of vacation so apologies in advance. Only have my phone.

This current Buy Op is for only people that live in the States right? Cause of the vendors shipping

Roy: i have downloaded around 10 letters and use them for leiasure reading.

Fun fact. Actually found a wine shop in Hanoi that had port. A few Ramos Pinto.

Cheers
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Thomas V wrote:This current Buy Op is for only people that live in the States right? Cause of the vendors shipping
Yes, this one is U.S. only.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thomas,

IF you have US based friends that can take delivery for you, you could buy in. You'd just need a USA address for the wines to be shipped to a friend here in the USA. I hope that is possible for you!

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

So who of you yankiees are stopping by Denmark in the upcomming year?

I do have a few contacts in the states, but I wonder how much additional safe shipping from Seattle to Denmark would cost me. If the discount in this buy up would be eaten away sort to say.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:So who of you yankiees are stopping by Denmark in the upcomming year?

I do have a few contacts in the states, but I wonder how much additional safe shipping from Seattle to Denmark would cost me. If the discount in this buy up would be eaten away sort to say.
I haven't been to Denmark (Silkborg) since my college days. Loved my time there but not sure when I'll get back, sorry.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I won't be back until 2017, and I would say that the savings would be gone by shipping to Denmark, that is for sure.

As for Bradley Bogdan, who wrote:
It's always great to talk about it when it gets bought, even if it doesn't get shipped for a while, as then when more boxes show up later you've always got the "I told you when I bought it, it just took 3-9 months to ship due to weather" card. Buys you some leeway for a few extra boxes.
You can't give advice like that until you have 5 years of marriage under your belt. Have you reached 2 years yet? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

DELETED
Last edited by Michael T on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Michael T wrote:At 30+ years of marriage you just do whatever the hell you want to.

What are they going to do, leave?
[rotfl.gif] [rotfl.gif] [rotfl.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Michael T wrote:At 30+ years of marriage you just do whatever the hell you want to.

What are they going to do, leave?
[rotfl.gif] [rotfl.gif] [rotfl.gif]
First off to have survived 30+ years of marriage, the art of compromise, essential. Granted at this point you pretty much know how far you can push things, and things tend to work out much better when neither party is taken for granted. However I must admit to more items having just "appeared" around the house. "Oh that ? We've had that for ages!"
:wink: After I poured her a glass of Ferreira "Duque de Braganca" she decided it was a good idea to participate as I pointed out the $55 price tag for this 20yo while mentioning the 30yo 1985 is $10 less. Speaking of 30yo...where is the 30yo WHITE port? After having the Krohn 1964, the 10yo while nice, are, well, you know. :evil: Oh well, suffer we must! /s . :thanks: I'm hopeful that since I share the same birth year as Roy, 1957, something might come up before our 60th...
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Roy Hersh wrote:I won't be back until 2017, and I would say that the savings would be gone by shipping to Denmark, that is for sure.

As for Bradley Bogdan, who wrote:
It's always great to talk about it when it gets bought, even if it doesn't get shipped for a while, as then when more boxes show up later you've always got the "I told you when I bought it, it just took 3-9 months to ship due to weather" card. Buys you some leeway for a few extra boxes.
You can't give advice like that until you have 5 years of marriage under your belt. Have you reached 2 years yet? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Haha 5 years of living together, only 1.5 post knot tying. I'm a quick learner though! Image

As for comparing prices on things, unless she asks or its under $30, I don't usually even go there haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

I have gone a different route to avoid any discussions about what we spend our money on. From the start of our relationship (7+ years ) I told her I wanted separate economies. We pay into a common budget account for shared expences such as mortgage etc. The remainder stays in our respective accounts. She can spend all the rest of her money on handbags and I on port and the other has no issue. Works perfect for us.

I think Roy I will wait until next Buy Up since the shipping spoils it for me. Thanks for the effort and I look forward to the next Op.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

DELETED
Last edited by Michael T on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeff t.

Post by jeff t. »

I ordered 18 bottles.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Roy Hersh wrote:I won't be back until 2017, and I would say that the savings would be gone by shipping to Denmark, that is for sure.
What is happening in 2017?

I for sure would like to meet up during your stay and enjoy a few glasses of port together.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Funny how this entire thread turned into commentary on the buying op. Nary a word about all of the great content. [imnewhere.gif]

I particularly liked the articles by Marco, Diana, Glenn and Fernando. Very unique perspectives in all four cases. They deserve a lot of credit.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

DELETED
Last edited by Michael T on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

DELETED
Last edited by Michael T on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

Michael T wrote:Without naming names do these bottles have a driven cork or a stopper cork? Trying to decide if I need to make room to stand them up or if lying on the side is OK.
The bottles that arrived today [shok.gif] all had stopper corks, but I believe you can store them either way as a shorter term proposition.

Roy, I really liked Tania's story. The people of Port, I love that stuff. Thanks and great job on a successful offering!