What is the best domestic (US) "Port" you've ever found?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Stewart T.

What is the best domestic (US) "Port" you've ever found?

Post by Stewart T. »

While in Oregon this past weekend for some Pinot Noir tasting, I happened to come across a fair number of producers making "fortified dessert wine." I had the chance to taste a couple of Cab "ports" and even one Pinot Noir "port". Interesting, and some were actually good - but obviously not the Ports that we all love obsessively... ;)

So, what is the best domestic (US) port that you've ever had?
Stewart T. (Admin) [email protected]
Eric Ifune

Re: What is the best domestic (US) "Port" you've ever found?

Post by Eric Ifune »

Ficklin
I like both their "vintage" and their wood aged versions, although sometimes their "vintage" can get pruney. They use Portuguese varieties and probably have the oldest vines of their type in North America.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I second Ficklin, while obviously different than Port side by side, it retains the character of the real stuff. That is something that other domestic producers often do not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Fairbanks, Benjamin, or Taylor California [help.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Maurice Fitzhugh

Post by Maurice Fitzhugh »

Thurston Wolfe port from Prosser WA is worth a try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Moses Botbol wrote:Fairbanks, Benjamin, or Taylor California [help.gif]
What? Not Taylor of NY?? :-P

-Brad

Moses Botbol

Re: What is the best domestic (US)

Post by Moses Botbol »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:
Is that where it is from? Did I get that wrong?

Mogen David was a regular port (20/20 line) during college we "enjoyed". Usually followed by visit from local law enforcement.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Bradley Bogdan wrote:
Is that where it is from? Did I get that wrong?

Mogen David was a regular port (20/20 line) during college we "enjoyed". Usually followed by visit from local law enforcement.
Never heard of a Taylor from California, but there's definitely a Taylor in NY that makes a port in jug sizes. Not the greatest stuff, IMHO.

-Brad

David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Roxo Port Cellars in Paso Robles for VP and LBV styles. For Tawny, I'd agree with Ficklin. Honorable mention goes to J.W. Morris.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

David Spriggs wrote:Roxo Port Cellars in Paso Robles for VP and LBV styles.
+1 Roxo, last I had it, was making some very nice Port. Even some serious Port lovers who I double blinded with a bottle couldn't sort out it wasn't from Portugal. :mrgreen:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Stewart T.

Post by Stewart T. »

Never heard of Roxo, but will look it up!
Stewart T. (Admin) [email protected]
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

There is Black Sheep Fortissimo made in Calaveras County from traditional grapes that is quite tasty $26. My #2 California Port.
#1 goes to Heitz Cellars "Treasure Port" $30. A fine wine, but I can get comparable LBV's from Portugal for around 30% less.

It has you wondering about the real shape of the world economy when you can ship wine half way around the world and sell it for less than what is made in my own backyard.

I have a fondness for Zinfindel Port and several California wineries offer them. More fruit forward, it is it's own wine.
Milliaire, Calaveras county, $27 is very nice.
Terra D'Oro from Amador County, $22 is certainly pleasant enough, good price point, more of a cellar defender.
Ficklin is just not my thing, after several bottles over the years I have yet to find one I'd buy again.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Edward J wrote:There is Black Sheep Fortissimo made in Calaveras County from traditional grapes that is quite tasty $26. My #2 California Port.
#1 goes to Heitz Cellars "Treasure Port" $30. A fine wine, but I can get comparable LBV's from Portugal for around 30% less.

It has you wondering about the real shape of the world economy when you can ship wine half way around the world and sell it for less than what is made in my own backyard.

I have a fondness for Zinfindel Port and several California wineries offer them. More fruit forward, it is it's own wine.
Milliaire, Calaveras county, $27 is very nice.
Terra D'Oro from Amador County, $22 is certainly pleasant enough, good price point, more of a cellar defender.
Ficklin is just not my thing, after several bottles over the years I have yet to find one I'd buy again.
That is the problem for most Domestic port IMO. I have a hard time justifying the price for myself to buy and to recommend to others when the "real deal" often is a fraction of the price.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
A dschus

Post by A dschus »

Ficklin was my gateway drug to Port. My mentor offered my wife and I a pour of their tawny and later their vintage. From that point I became curious what this was all about

Last bottle of their library tinta was a total fruit bomb. Not enjoyable at all. Too ascetic and rubbery. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and try again though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Alex
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Edward J wrote:I have a fondness for Zinfindel Port and several California wineries offer them. More fruit forward, it is it's own wine.
I agree. I've had a few Zinfindel fortified wines and they've been enjoyable. Not Port, but enjoyable in their own way.

Similar in that way to Australian "stickies" for me - they're enjoyable for what they are, but they aren't Port.

To answer the original question, I've been waiting and hoping that someone would mention the name of another California producer that I had a long time ago. I've forgotten who it was, sadly, but their fortified wine was very good and could almost pass for Port. It's possible it was Heitz, but for some reason that doesn't sound right.

I've also had Ficklin and enjoyed it, just not for the price. Same for Roxo. As others have said, a good LBV will match either of them for a significant discount.

Gilbert in Washington also produces a fortified wine in the style of Port. I had it at the winery and enjoyed it enough to buy a bottle. One of these days I'm going to slip it into an appropriate tasting and see if anyone notices. :stir:
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

Andy Velebil wrote: That is the problem for most Domestic port IMO. I have a hard time justifying the price for myself to buy and to recommend to others when the "real deal" often is a fraction of the price.
+1. Plus I always find these US ports too Bright with an upfront punch I can never get past--just rough. Non Port ports always seem to suffer from what I refer to as a lack of minerality...I think the lack of schist/soil in the vines that make these ports is a problem (well, its something even if I'm wrong). My worst all time scores are littered with domestic ports. That being said the best I've had is a 20 year Ficklin which I gave 87 points.

For other non-Portuguese Ports, there are some from South Africa that are passable, DeKrans stands out for me as does Allesverloren. Still, my scores for these VPs are in the 85-89 range and I'd rather have a Warre's or SW LBV for the same $28.

BTW...No one has mentioned Brotherhood in upstate New York. Has anyone besides me or Roy tried this?
Any Port in a storm!
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:Never heard of a Taylor from California, but there's definitely a Taylor in NY that makes a port in jug sizes. Not the greatest stuff, IMHO.
a jug of that was my first experience with port. it scared me off the stuff for several years! it only tasted like raisins, and i hate raisins.
thank goodness a then-friend and i took advantage of a Groupon offer for a cheap wine flight at a tapas and wine bar and decided to try the Port flight [which they no longer offer at all]. we had no idea what we were drinking, i don't know what was on it, and i didn't like any of them except Fonseca bin 27. but at least i had found one that i loved and that opened my mind to it another few years later when someone gave me Sandeman Founder's Reserve. now here i am!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Scheiny S wrote:
Bradley Bogdan wrote:Never heard of a Taylor from California, but there's definitely a Taylor in NY that makes a port in jug sizes. Not the greatest stuff, IMHO.
a jug of that was my first experience with port. it scared me off the stuff for several years! it only tasted like raisins, and i hate raisins.
thank goodness a then-friend and i took advantage of a Groupon offer for a cheap wine flight at a tapas and wine bar and decided to try the Port flight [which they no longer offer at all]. we had no idea what we were drinking, i don't know what was on it, and i didn't like any of them except Fonseca bin 27. but at least i had found one that i loved and that opened my mind to it another few years later when someone gave me Sandeman Founder's Reserve. now here i am!
Woohoo! Good always wins over bad :lol:
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

The Ficklin Tinta will actually age in bottle. I've seen quite a bit improvement up to about 12 years. It does go into a funky state after a couple of years but seems to get over it in 8-10. With some age, I think it's a good bargain. I can usually get it for less than $20.
Janet Ainsworth

Post by Janet Ainsworth »

Woodbridge Portacinco isn't too bad, though it isn't Port, of course. For those in range of Grocery Outlets on the US West Coast, the 2001 is available in some GOs for 9.99, or 20% off till Sunday.