Productivity and resistance to change

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Productivity and resistance to change

Post by Roy Hersh »

Going Against the Flow
“Then there was this law of life, so cruel and just, that we must change, or else pay more to remain the same.”

— Norman Mailer (from The Deer Park)

A Norwegian folk tale describes a husband who became so frustrated by his contrary and argumentative wife that he thew her into a foaming river. Her body was found a few days later — upstream.

It is not easy to “go against the flow.” But it will bring you closer to the source. And it might lead you to the truth. It also may cause you to become very, very frustrated.

We all admired Japan when the country put Deming’s principles of quality improvement to work and started to make extraordinary cars, cameras, Walkmans and computers.

But Japan has been plagued by negligible growth for 14 years running. Toyota has just recalled 350,000 cars; Sony is being confronted over cell phone batteries that explode. A recent Wall Street Journal editorial bemoans the deterioration in the quality of Japanese products.

The companies that copied Toyota are faring no better: Ford, GM and Daimler-Chrysler are all making high quality cars that remain unsold. What’s going on?

If you were making a product of such high quality that only 3.6 out of every million are defective, would you change your production process? I think not. You have attained the standard for perfection in manufacturing.

No change means no increase in productivity. No change means that you are sitting still, while your competitors are making products faster, better and more cheaply — or offering new and better designs — or inventing something no one else has even thought about.

What happened to Sony’s fabulous Walkman when Apple introduced its iPod? Or to Kodak with the advent of the digital camera? Or to TiVo when cable and satellite TV providers offered their own inexpensive DVRs?

Apple is famous for being contrarian. It has the best and most innovative products, but cannot make a dent in Microsoft’s Windows market. But Microsoft’s stock price has been flat or falling for over five years. The power of a near-monopoly is not eternal. And somewhere out there, a certain individual is already inventing the next Microsoft, or the next Apple.
Going against the flow is risky. But going with the flow is even riskier. Think of the giants of the past: Montgomery Ward, AT&T, Westinghouse, Sears, Enron. They are either entirely gone, or they have become very different and much smaller companies. For the survivors, change is a constant. But change itself does not guarantee survival any more than quality does. No change, however, guarantees extinction in a changing business world.

These are the rules for survival:

1. Waste not — extreme lean is best for everyone.

2. Innovate, with both the customer and the competition in mind.

3. Lead — don’t follow.

It helps when everyone takes responsibility for their actions, and pulls together towards a common goal. But the questioning must never cease: Goals change, responsibilities change, and alignments change.

Mostly, the questioning comes from contrarians.

They are not your enemies.

They are your compass.

Leading, innovative companies understand the power of productivity as the strategy for achieving greater corporate performance and bottom line results. Yet, most companies do not apply a systematic and rigorous process for realizing their untapped productivity potential. 80% of all corporate initiatives focus instead on efficiency improvements that are not tied to overall growth objectives and do not produce any breakthroughs in performance. Productivity improvement, on the other hand, is so highly leveraged that even small increases can dramatically affect revenue, cost effectiveness and profits, while raising employee satisfaction and customer delight. For publicly held companies, stock prices and market capitalization can increase dramatically.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Hi Roy, what on earth is all that? Are you being serious or have you been through most of the crate! Apologies if this has deep meaning, but if it has its flown over my head at 30,000 feet.
To lighten the mood, have you heard about the 3 legged dog that walks into a Bar, and says, 'I'm looking for the man that shot my Paw!'
While I'm on, I Emailed you via the 'Contact us' page, about Portugal.
Cheers
Derek T.

Re: Productivity and resistance to change

Post by Derek T. »

Roy Hersh wrote: A Norwegian folk tale describes a husband who became so frustrated by his contrary and argumentative wife that he thew her into a foaming river. Her body was found a few days later — upstream.
Anyone who is divorced with kids will recognise this scenario - the only difference being she's still alive each time you see her!!!

Keep taking the tablets, Roy :wink:

Derek
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

And here I thought he was talking about those strange "Bog" people

http://www.mesh5.com/tension/febmarch/bog.htm

:shock:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Extract from the link provided by Andy....

...ritually strangled with a woven plait, and - for good measure - savagely bludgeoned and throat slashed....

Perhaps this would work better than throwing her in the river?

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Just as long as you don't get blood on the Wooven Plait :twisted:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

It's OK, Andy, I know a policeman who can get me off :P

I think we need a Poll on what Roy is trying to say in the above post. Options that spring to mind are:

1. A rolling stone gathers no moss

2. I can't believe a man can drink 6 bottles of port in a single sitting

3. The Leprachauns made me do it

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

See what you've done to me with all this ranting on :soapbox: about the PP and Marketplace! :winebath: :type:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Don't worry, Roy - we still love you 8)

Derek
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

All this talk of ex's, (and I have 4 kids to 2 ex's), reminds me of this tale.

A Police man is driving behind a car with a loose registartion plate. He flashes the car to pull over to tell him to tighten it before it falls off. The car doesn't stop and is off in a flash, and quickly travelling at mach 2. A full State-Wide chase is on. After 40 minutes the car is doing 120 mph on the motorway, when it suddenly pulls into the hard shoulder. The Police car behind, thats been hanging on, pulls in behind, and the Officer gets out, expecting a foot chase across the nearby fields. To his surprise, a respectable, middle aged man gets out of the offending car, with his hands up, and an apologetic pose. The Officer is livid, and starts shouting about how it was only over a loose registration plate, and now they've just been through a 'death chase', with numerous near misses!
The Driver is full of remorse, and in trying to explain, said "I'm so sorry Officer, its just that my wife ran off with a Policeman 6 months ago...and I thought you might be bringing her back!"

And you wonder why we enjoy drink!!!!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

NICE :lol: