Types of Ports suited for winebar

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Montjuic

Types of Ports suited for winebar

Post by Montjuic »

I own a little wine & tapas bar in Guadalajara Mexico and as I am just in the middle of updating my wine list I wanted some help for the type and brand selection of ports to offer.

When doing the selection I am facing two main problems: rate of consumption and brand availability.

Regarding the first problem, you may be aware that people in Mexico in general and in Guadalajara in particular are just starting to experience (and enjoy) port wine and although I, along with my staff try to "educate" our customers and promote the drinking of port (as well as other fortified wines such as Madeira and Sherry) sales are still not that high and sometimes I have to throw away(or drink myself :lol: ) an unfinished bottle. So I would like to have types of port that last longer once the bottle has been opened.

As far as the brand availability unfortunately the only brands easily found here in Guadalajara are: Royal, Taylor, and Ferreira with a type or two of Fonseca and Osborne.

Which types of port do you recommend that we should offer? In the last "carta de vinos" we only had a white and Tawny Royal but they did not satisfy my expectations.

I had thought about including a White Port Ferreira, a Tawny Fonseca, a Taylor LBV and a Madeira (only available is a 10 year Justino) but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Edgar Fernandez
Montjuic Wine & Tapas Bar.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Edgar,

If you are worried about a bottle going bad, then I'd stay away from Vintage Portos. Which ,generally, last only about 1-2 days once openned. Stick with Tawney porto, which should last 1-2 months once openned. The major labels you mentioned are good quality Tawneys and most of the 10 year old ones are a decent value for the customer. (I've never had the Royal brand before so I can comment on that one) You could keep some vintage Porto but sell it by the bottle only (if you could find 1/2 bottles, even better). Obviously with the VP's you are going to have to becareful about storage conditions.

Madiera on the other hand is almost indestructable and will last months and months and is not affected by heat. A problem I've seen in several restaurants where the bottle of porto is at the top of the shelf and directly under a hot lamp. :shock:

Next time I make it to your area I'll have to stop in and visit your bar.

I'm sure some others on the site wil give some recommendations too.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud

Port for Montjuic

Post by Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud »

Hello, long time no see Edgar.

The Royal Oporto Ruby is a good quality wine at a low price.
Taylor and Fonseca are reliable producers, but Ferreira I am not very pleased with, at least not the Ferriera wines you will find in GDL.

You should have one Ruby, one tawny and one LBV in your bar. Vintage ports I have never seen in GDL before.

Anyway I wish you all the best with your bar for the future. :D
Best Regards
Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud
Winetalk http://winetalk.forum-2007.com
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

Montjuic wrote:I own a little wine & tapas bar in Guadalajara Mexico
Guadalajara, Mexico. This City always gives me dreams :). I've never been there but for me Guadalajara is a "must go" city in this whole world. The historic buildings, the Tequila Country, the people.... ~Anyway, as Andy Velebil says he might visit your bar, I wish someday I will be able to stop by too. :D

I share the same opinion with Andy, "If you are worried about a bottle going bad, then I'd stay away from Vintage Portos".
I always like to tell restaurants that to sell by the glass, the best Ports are definitely the Reserve Rubys the LBVs, and any of the Tawnies.

For a Wine Bar (or restaurant), In my opinion a Reserve Ruby (or a LBV instead) and a 10-year Old Tawny is a "must have". Two Ports at least. And depending on the costumers' profile and on how much effort managers put to educate their Clientele (& also Staff), I guess the next step is to increase the Port Portfolio with LBVs and older Tawnies. One should not also forgett about the Vintage.

By reading your message I can tell you are already considering a White (from Ferreira), a LBV (from Taylor), and a Tawny (from Fonseca). So, you'll have all 3 Port types represented. Good.
It seems that in Guadalajara you also have some limitations on Ports distributed to choose from and that is an additional concern. However, I would say that that line up you're thinking of would be the very same I would myself have started with.

Good Luck for your Wine Bar. Success. And hopefully some day I'll have the chance to visit the city of Guadalajara and, if so, I will definitely stop by. :D
PORTugal, One Country, 800 Years of History, 11 Distinct Regions plus Azores and Madeira, and Thousands of Wines :-)