Online cellar management and cellartracker.com

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Julian D. A. Wiseman

Online cellar management and cellartracker.com

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

A friend has suggested www.cellartracker.com to me, and is planning to start using it for his collection. Do any habitués of these fora have experience of online cellar management, and any recommendations?

Cellartracker

Post by Guest »

Disclaimer - Eric is a friend of mine.

I user cellartracker to keep my modest collection organized. For the hyper-organized, you can print bar-code labels with useful info on them (drinking window, scores, price, etc.) which is useful when I'm digging around in my cellar for a bottle to give away as a present or to take to a dinner. If you are REALLY organized, you can get a barcode scanner and "scan out" bottles as you take them from your cellar to drink.

I also appreciate the ability to print off all manner of wine lists - sort by varietal, country, or about a dozen other fields.

If you are subscribed to WS, WA or Tanzer, you can also link directly to the tn for your particular wine.

Finally, having worked with databases before, I appreciate Eric's attention to making sure that the data in his database is clean and accurate. I know that he regularly reviews the data that users are inputing to ensure it's accuracy and quality. Good data = good choices. Bad data = semi-useful tool.

If you are an analytical type of person, you'll love cellartracker for it's analytics and reporting capabilities. If you aren't analytic, then it is a good tool for keeping track of where your bottles are, and being able to see a concise, easy list of all your wines.

He also offer a free trial of the tool.

Stewart
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

Disclaimer - I do not know Eric, but should he come over here, I owe him a good bottle, as I love CelllarTracker...Highly recommended!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Been using it for about 2 years and love it. I would highly recommend it to everyone.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Disclaimer: Eric is a good friend and in my tasting group.

CellarTracker is the world's leading cellar management tool with more users than any other online database. The community of tasting notes is very extensive and Eric has really built many fine features into his product which begain as just a way to keep track of his own site. I remember it when it was just an idea. Then watched it through beta testing and launch. Following the progress of CT is remarkable and kudos to Eric for working with solid PR folks to get the word out.

I highly recommend you take a test drive on CellarTracker and see all of the bells and whistles. Should you ever think up something important that is not already part of the software package, Eric has the ability to create it and will do so, if warranted.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Solid advice: thank you. Sussex cellar spreadsheet emailed.

Solid advice: thank you. Sussex cellar spreadsheet emailed to Eric.
Gizzyeq
Location: NYC & Japan, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by Gizzyeq »

cmon guys show us your cellars :yumyum: :twisted:
Julian D. A. Wiseman

I’ll show you mine if you show me yours

Mine isn't and won't be public (and I’m still being cautious), but surely there's a certain amount of “I’ll show you mine if you show me yours” here. In other words, if you want to see so badly why not start by saying that you will add as a buddy whoever posts their ID number here. Mr. 28430, being me, isn’t yet ready to reciprocate, but you should offer others at least.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Gizzyeq wrote:cmon guys show us your cellars :yumyum: :twisted:
You can view other peoples cellars on cellartracker provided they have chosen to make their wines available in the public domain, which I have.

If you send me an e-mail (see my profile) I will gladly send you my cellar list 8)

I can vouch for Eric's dedication to clean data. I entered my cellar list about 6 months ago and a few weeks later received a personal e-mail from Eric explaining the changes he had made to my data for some of the more obscure wines I own to make them fit into the general structure and integrity of the database. Excellent!!

Derek
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Forgot the profiles are not working properly yet - my email address is [email protected]

Derek