2001 Morgadio da Calçada LBV Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Steven Kooij

2001 Morgadio da Calçada LBV Port

Post by Steven Kooij »

Morgadio da Calçada 2001 LBV (bottled 2006) - What a nice surprise – I had heard of this producer, a collaboration between the Vilas Boas family and Niepoort, but had never tasted their Ports nor their dry wines. Friends of mine brought this bottle with them after a visit to Lisbon.

The bottle (closed with a Niepoort 2001 LBV cork) was decanted for about two hours. This purple / black Port did not show much on the nose initially, but it opened up a bit with vigorous swirling. Still not the most expressive of Ports, but with a nice red fruit aroma.
This is one big LBV: massive body, and loaded with black cherry, plums and dark chocolate. Quite tannic; this could easily cope with several more years in the cellar in order to soften up a bit.
Long finish, warm with a chocolate bitterness to it – yum! I'd give this LBV 88+ points. Worth checking out!

Website of the producer: click here

*edited because my spelling sucques*
Last edited by Steven Kooij on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RonnieRoots

Post by RonnieRoots »

Nice one! Do you still have some left in the bottle? I'd like to taste...
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

Some left? What an odd notion... :?

Afraid not, Ronnie - we did think about leaving a bit to see how it would develop, but as the evening progressed (and with another LBV already empty) decided that was just a silly idea: we wanted Port and we wanted it now! :P
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

tsss, I should have known.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Steven,

Wishfull thinking here, but do you know if its exported to the US?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

I've got no information on that Andy; you might want to send them an email with your question (address can be found on the website in my original post), but a quick look on wine-searcher.com shows only European retailers. I've not seen it for sale in The Netherlands, either... :(
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Kinda curious, but is this just a BOB of the Niepoort LBV.

Their website says it is produced by Niepoort and you said it has a Niepoort 2001 LBV cork

sorry the brain is moving a little slow today :idea:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gustavo Devesas

Post by Gustavo Devesas »

:D Hello everybody!
Hello Steven how are you?
It's nice to check that you are tasting some nice stuff, I've the Morgadio da Calcada here in the bar, the LBV 2001, the Ruby Reserve, Dry White and the Tawny Reserve wich is the by farrrrr the best of all, it's a real sucess here in our bar!Be sure to check the Tawny Reserve!
Ahh last week I went to Essencia do Vinho exposition wich is the biggest in Portugal and I spent 1 hour speaking with our good friend Jose antonio from Quinta do Javali and I was really surprised with the new 10y from them it was too good!Best Regards!
Gustavo
Together we fall, united we stand.
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

Andy, this is not a BOB, but made for MdC's own vineyards.

Gustavo: good to hear from you again! Yes, the Javali 10YOT is amazing, isn't it? RonnieRoots and I got to taste a bottle a few weeks ago...impressive, very impressive (DISCLAIMER: we are the Dutch importer of Q.d. Javali).
I look for to trying more of the Port of MdC as well, perhaps even in your bar...I might be in Porto the end of May, early June. I'll let you know!
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

Gustavao

It is very nice to hear from you on this forum. I met you on Roy's last tasting trip and was very favorably impressed by Vinologia and had a great time with you as host. Keep up the good work! And keep posting here to let us know what you think are the best things coming out of the smaller producers!

Jay