TN: 2003 Quinta do Crasto Vinha da Ponte Douro red

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Rune EG

TN: 2003 Quinta do Crasto Vinha da Ponte Douro red

Post by Rune EG »

This is of our last bottle of the 2003 Crasto Vinha da Ponte. Although the bottles we have had have been very nice, they have not reached the level of 1998 and 2007 (I have not tasted 2004, which I understand also has a high level).

Decanted 6 hrs. Dark red colour with a light rim. Deep, complex aroma of amongst others soil, oak and some berries. Full to medium body. Powerful at start and it ends with elegance. Fresh, interesting and very nice combination of oak, soil and stable. This is a mature/ripe Douro red (now 15 years old) which in my opinion is not likely to develop further. Medium length aftertaste. Considered one more point, but ended at 93 pts.
Mahmoud Ali

Re: TN: 2003 Quinta do Crasto Vinha da Ponte Douro red

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Based on your notes it sounds like the Vinha da Ponte has developed along similar lines as the Reserva Old Vines from the same vintage that I had a few days ago. Both have reached 15 years of age very well however your notes suggests that the Ponte is bigger bodied and has more oak influence which makes sense considering where the wines stand in the heirarchy of their portfolio.

Mahmoud.