2000 Ferreira Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Scott Anaya

2000 Ferreira Vintage Port

Post by Scott Anaya »

2000 Ferreira Vintage Port tasted Sep 22 08 & sep 26 '08

First tasted after 4 hours decant:
A monster of a VP. The tannins are huge at the moment on this wine. A bit of heat on the nose and just a touch on the pallet as well. A fair amount of fruit, dark raw black berry, black currant. Nothing in harmony at this stage in this wine.

Retasted 4 days later after rebottled and stored: Still a huge wine. Little changed from four days prior. Components all there but still not in in any sort of harmony. I won't revisit the case of this wine for a test for at least 6-8 years.
Scott Anaya
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 2000 Ferreira Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Scott,

Most of the 2000's we tried on the trip were either firmly shut down or well on their way to being totally shut down. I won't touch any of my 2000's for at least another 7-8+ years to allow them to fully come out of that awkward stage.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

Well, Younger self wasn’t wrong, albeit a bit off about only waiting 6-8 years from my first taste to try this one again. 10+ years later It’s a monster still. Popped and poured yesterday it was all just too much...alcohol, fruit, tannin. Not decanted, but left uncorked overnight and this eve it’s almost just as big. I’ll see what the week being opened brings. I don’t think I’ll check in on this case for another 6-8 years, maybe 10.
Scott Anaya
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Thanks for the followup. Good to hear that the Ferriera is not fading. I think that many 2000's will see very long lives.