What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Eric Menchen »

Roy Hersh wrote:As for the 1968 vs. 1976, bottle variation aside, maybe it is just an American lust for the 1976 and the Danes simply prefer 1968.
I was born in 1968, so as for a bias, it would probably go there. I like the 1968 Krohn Colheita and bought a few bottles last year. I've tasted it and enjoyed it, but I don't find it to be outstanding. I bought it more because of the bias.
John M.

Post by John M. »

1994 Smith Woodhouse.... 375.
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

1977 Smith Woodhouse. Still dark, but not as impenetrable as a couple of years ago.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

S. Leonardo Porto Old Tawny Port "60"
Yalumba Antique Rare Tawny 50 Years Museum Reserve
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Graham's 20 year old Tawny Port. I did not know it was even in my cellar. I like when that happens. Good, but not up there with the best of the 20's though. 89-90 pts.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Niepoort 20 year old tawny bottled in 2007. A little spirity with a pinkish-orange hue. Medium weight with a nice, woody flavor. Sweet, but not overly so. All in all a nice tawny that I would buy again.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Courtesy of CMAG, a long time member here, we had a vertical of Quinta do Vesuvio on Wednesday night with bottles from 1989-1997 and a magnum of 2006. It was an interesting chance to try bottles which had all been stored together in a mixed case for the last 20 years.

Not unexpected, the 1994 was the favourite wine of the night. It is a fabulous Port.

And the 2006 was a real treat as three of the people at the tasting helped to tread the grapes for the vintage thanks to one of Roy's trips.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Al B. wrote:Courtesy of CMAG, a long time member here, we had a vertical of Quinta do Vesuvio on Wednesday night with bottles from 1989-1997 and a magnum of 2006. It was an interesting chance to try bottles which had all been stored together in a mixed case for the last 20 years.

Not unexpected, the 1994 was the favourite wine of the night. It is a fabulous Port.

And the 2006 was a real treat as three of the people at the tasting helped to tread the grapes for the vintage thanks to one of Roy's trips.
That's great Al....we are doing the same "box" of Vesuvios on March 1, in NYC....looking forward to comparing notes.
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

1987 Kopke Colheita (bottled 2013) in 375 for our 33rd dateversary. It was excellent, as always.
Glenn Elliott
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Dalva 20yo tawny
Kopke 1976 Colheita
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

2013 Pocas vp
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

S. Leonardo 10. You know, if you set aside how spoiled you are drinking the 30, 40, and "60," this is a really good wine, and great for the price.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

1977 Gould Campbell. Still young but not impenetrable. I see hope in the future.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

S. Leonardo 10 Anos Branco, a just well made white port. Creamy honey and exotic fruit. Older than it say on the label. Great QPR

Warre's 2000 Colheita. Too young for it to be a tawny port for my palate. I'll wait 10+ years to revisit.

Quinta da Javali 2016 VP. Bold flavours and massive tannins. One of the most aggressive young VPs I've ever tried. Lots of pine and tar in the taste. Not very enjoyable at the moment.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Fonseca 1975; a bottle acquired as part of a mixed lot at auction - not a bad drop of juice.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Ferreira 20yr old, bottled in 1979.

Opened at the end of a breezy but extremely hot day at a small restaurant close to the famously ornate Hua Hin railway station.

Served cold, it was a little beauty, silky smooth and wonderfully fragrant.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

1995 Dow Quinta do Bomfim Vintage Port
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

Duorum 2012 LBV
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1970 Dow VP. I was going through my collection trying to decide on what Port to open for my daughter and her fiance and came across the Dow. It was sticky and leaking so I thought I'd better kill it off. The cork disintegrated as I tried to remove it but I eventually got it out. When I decanted, it was a light pinkish red. The nose was light, but sweet. I didn't try it until 6 hours later and I would say it tasted more tawny like rather then a VP, but it was still pleasant.

In the end I think it had oxidized to some extent. It wasn't a great bottle nor was it a bad one. I enjoyed it, but probably would have enjoyed it more if it hadn't been exposed to air over time. A solid 90.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Had few bottles on over the weekend. On Friday had a 1983 Ramos Pinto. On Saturday night 1887 Grahams, 1927 Warre, 2005 Kopke White, and 1985 Gould Campbell

Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars