Roy's Movie Review: Letters from Iwo Jima (3/6/07)

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Roy's Movie Review: Letters from Iwo Jima (3/6/07)

Post by Roy Hersh »

Letters, is a fine film and with each new movie, Clint Eastwood moves closer to becoming as legendary for his direction work behind the camera as for his style of acting in front of it. I have enjoyed a number of his films in the past 15 years, while others have left me empty. I avoided reading about this movie once I had heard of Flags of Our Fathers, his Iwo Jima propaganda story “prequel” to this film, which I had no desire to see … until now.

This flick was told from a unique point of view and sand point. As American’s we’ve really never seen a Pacific theater war film told from the “enemy’s” perspective. Not only does Letters walk a mile in their boots, but the Japanese language based dialogue goes the extra mile to provide what feels like historical accuracy. I have my doubts about that, but we’ll get there soon enough.

This is a war movie where they don’t ALL die in the end, although make no mistake about it, the Japanese who were out manned 5:1 died in vast numbers (about 20,000 vs. about 7,000 for the American troops in just over a month’s time). What I liked about the way Clint handled the brutal scenes, is that he did not go too far. Not that I shy away from violence but when a director can provide all of the emotion without excessive gore, given today’s penchant for bullet riddled bodies with fountains of blood using battery triggered “blood packs” … then the director rightfully deserves their due. This was the case in Letters, even though there were some chilling and brutal moments. I did not find the blood and guts over the top at all; and in fact, given the material, there was a great deal of restraint employed.

We arrive on the island while the Japanese were digging in deep, in expectation of the shit storm that they knew was coming. This tiny atoll memorialized for all time by a single photo, was depicted in this flick as vital as Custer’s Last Stand, in protecting the mainland of Japan. The Japanese officers are at first seemingly incapable of making sound decisions in terms of militaristic stratagems. Then along comes the suave leader Kuribayashi and change is swift and unpopular, yet working within the confines of his limited resources, tactically correct.

Kuribayashi is played by the fantastic actor Ken Watanabe. I remember watching him in Tampopo, (which I’ve seen a dozen times and still enjoy) well over a decade ago and more recently in the beautifully shot Memoirs of a Geisha. In Letters his strength as the honorable, traditional and unwavering leader of the men on Iwo Jima is palpable. He realizes from day one that this 5-mile short island will be the death of him. When he learns mid-flick that the government no longer has the resolve nor power to provide him with the tools to be successful, he takes it in stride as one would expect from an honorable Japanese officer. Baron Nishi who is fresh from his Equestrian medal at the LA Olympics, shows up on horseback on Iwo Jima and he trots up to Kuribayashi and it is apparent the two know one another. Nishi is nothing more than a photo op or so it seems; but when the time comes, he too is a fearless leader in battle. At one point he alerts his senior officer to some bad news which would break the back of most other Lt. Generals. At this poignant and telling juncture, Kuribayashi shows his meddle and Watanabe his acting chops

The other major character is Saigo, a baker and family man with a pregnant wife who is stricken with sorrow the day he is selected to serve on Iwo Jima. She is certain of his demise and given the news about how the war effort is going, he realizes the dire situation he is being thrown into. Sadly he has little choice but to serve his Emperor with honor. The “Letters” are his to his wife, told in a voice-over style … but there are letters to and from others … most often Kuribayashi, lovingly written to his wife.

There is one awkward scene which should have been left on the cutting room floor (imo) … where Clint serves to further humanize the Japanese soldier, by showing their tolerance when capturing an American soldier. This goes against everything we’ve ever been shown by Hollywood re: WW2 films and their depiction of the Japanese vs American soldiers. The ethnic cartoonish propaganda in those films is starkly in contrast with this scene and whether accurate or not (and I seriously doubt it) I had a real hard time swallowing this sugar coated pill. In contrast, we see how the American boys treat their captives and I could not help thinking that Eastwood was trying to ham-fist a direct political correlation with Abu Graib. The Letter from the Oaky (not wine related) boy’s mom, takes on greater meaning shortly thereafter.

Back to Saigo, who is portrayed by a very fine actor (name?). He emotes the pain of his dilemma, a young man torn between duty and the love of his family and all he wants to do is survive. A good part of the movie emanates through the Saigo character. His face reads like a book and we understand what the grunt on the ground must deal with when realizing that the officers, who lead them, have no clue. His face forebodes the stark realization that his sheer survival is in serious jeopardy when his immediate officer gives an order to the surviving remnants of his division to commit suicide rather than be slaughtered by the enemy. Saigo watches in horror but does not see this as his destiny and we watch his character with increased interest, as the plot unfolds to its conclusion shortly thereafter.

The brilliant screenplay may have been the best of any in this past year’s films. The dialogue only understandable in the handful of English language sentences and in English subtitles that accompany the spoken Japanese … seems at all times, to ring true. The use of coloration or lack thereof, except blood red has been done enough times before, that it no longer seems as striking, as it did in Schindler’s List. However, the black and white filming, with a soft almost sepia tone, was effective nonetheless in providing the feel of historical perspective.

The bloodbath on Mount Suribachi almost makes the audience side with the Japanese, with kudos to Clint for this manipulation which works. It is interesting to look at this movie filmed in a raw yet sentimental almost forgiving style as juxtaposed against the flicks which show the Japanese soldiers as the aggressors, brutal in their thirst for bloodletting. Equally telling is the unmistakable parallel to the current Iraqi war and the contingent of US and allied soldiers on the ground without the numbers or equipment needed to be successful, no matter how courageous. While driving home, I could not help but think of some filmmaker in a few decades, aiming the camera back at the American’s in a similar fashion, shot from the Iraqi soldier’s perspective.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Interesting. I'll give it a go when opportunity strikes.

If you want a thought provoking film, that doesn't sugar coat, or try to guide you morally, try George Clooneys Syriana. Remarkably before its time. A film that was considered Un-American when it was made a few years ago, can now be considered to reflect the new populist view, that although the war against Terrorism has to be fought, look at the unpleasant places it takes you, morally as well as physically.

With that film and the one you review, it sounds like the American Film Industry is maturing a little. Remember, the rest of the world has on occassions had to watch films were History has been re-written, (as well as accents invented) to follow the same wearisome Hollywood mantra of America doing the right thing, and the central charachter always being the good guy.

Alan
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Blood Diamond is another film which bucks the trend. The film is violent without being too graphic and the good guy is a bad guy who you like and hate at the same time.

I wonder if all of this grown up attitude in Hollywood is a reflection of a shift in America's perception of itself in the wake of 9/11 and the war on terror?

Derek

Sorry if this is a bit too deep for this site, perhaps I should stick to collecting corks :?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

This is not the Squires' website where folks normally shy away from such things. I am more into movies than wine and have been my entire life. I don't think it is a reflection on post 9-11 attitudes as much as a new breed of directors getting a chance in Hollywood to make independent films with small production runs.

However, I'll post my Syriana view too, as I used to be the unofficial movie critic on the Parker wine board. I loved that movie and saw it a few times. Sadly, not enough Americans understood the nuances, especially of the oil trade business.

Thursday, Dec. 15th 2005 Roy's Movie Review: SYRIANA 1
Syriana is an enigmatic film which will polarize audiences into a "love it" or "hate it" camp. Nonetheless, it is as intricately designed as the inner workings of a well-made Swiss watch. Like writer/director Stephen Gaghan's best known screenplay, Traffic, this movie takes a half dozen sub-plots and slowly weaves them together, with the payoff coming at the end with the money shot. Traffic deftly succeeded in pulling this off, while Syriana gets tripped up in its overly detailed shoelaces without ever developing its characters. Some people may find those details the best part of the film, but no one will get to know what makes the characters feel or tick.

That does not mean that this movie should not be seen. There is much intrigue here and some important messages that are delivered as covertly as a stealth bomber's missiles. The crux of the movie centers around the Middle East oil fields and fiefdoms as well as their Houston-based oil company "partners" and ultimately, American interests and oil dependency. Fortunately, Gaghan is far more interested in concentric web-spinning, rather than becoming entangled between political parties red or blue. To his credit, the film avoids getting too preachy, while allowing the action before us to make the statements subliminally. However, this flick offers many versions of "the truth" and therein lies the complexity of the script.

Early in the film, it was apparent that the cinematographer was enjoying his experimentation with the lens way too much, especially with extreme close-ups that verged on annoying. Between this camera work and the initial confusion with the divergent sub-plots, (not to mention the intense attention span required to keep track of the characters) ... Syriana felt as if it would never deliver its message. Patience is ultimately rewarded, but this is not a movie for anybody suffering from attention deficit disorder.

As the onion peels, we learn of the vast negotiations and regulatory under sight that belie the merger of two important rival oil companies in Texas. Before the viewers have time to scratch their head, we are watching the makings-of-a-terrorist in the Middle East. Next, we are in Beirut with George Clooney as a CIA covert operator, best known for infiltrating Hezbollah, who is now seen brokering an arms deal with some shady characters. We later see him heading into the maelstrom of an assassination plot of an idealist son's succession plan to lead his nation. Then there is the Matt Damon character, a brilliant oil industry analyst who puts his career before his family, while becoming a key advisor to a potentially potent player in the oil cartel. The other vital sub-plot entails a law firm's top gun, beset with the challenge of beating Capital Hill investigators to the chase in finding "dirt" on the players within the aforementioned oil firm merger.

If this seems confusing to read, just wait until you try to put all the puzzle pieces together while keeping tabs on all of the players. Gaghan's chink in the armor is that we never get to know more than scant details about any single character. The little we do eventually find out, does not provide the audience with enough of a care level about the lives of the individuals in this film. Action junkies of course, will not care about this faux pas, instead, fully immersed in the quickening pace. We sit and feel like chess masters trying to piece together the various plots for three quarters of the flick. Finally, all of a sudden and with extreme velocity, we are caught up in the vortex of the tornado that brings it all together. You get to decide whether you'll finish your popcorn or grab onto Toto, but you can't choose both.

The conspiracy theorists will view this film as an allegorical political statement. Others will view it as the essence of 9-11. While it can also be viewed as a dark statement on America's addiction to oil. Finally, many will see this flick as the dirty dancing between multi-national conglomerates and global governmental cooperation. In some way, just like the various sub-plots ... this movie can encompass all of the above.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Roy,

Good review.
The one question I would like to ask over a late night bottle, would be.
'Although that review was spot on at the time, how would you re-write the final paragraph, with regard to the evolving historical context?'
You may not change it at all, as you covered most bases, but the majority view has changed, particularly in the UK/USA, has yours?

Good film and good review, its made me a little keener to watch Clints new one, if you think it will stretch the viewer in the same vein,

Alan
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Alan,

Not going too far out on the political limb here ... :shock:

(NOTE: this may be highly unpopular or distasteful for some readers)

a. Today: Scottler Libby was found guilty on 4 of 5 counts against him in leaking the details of a CIA agent Plame due to her husbands statements.
b. Will our Congress have the gonads to push further up the chain to see what Cheney, Rove and ultimately Bush knew and when? The jury is out.
c. How long will it take before the latest scandal with Walter Reed's Army hospital "conditions" and the direct link to Cheney's Haliburton subsidiary become a core issue? Rather than some politically motivated retired general stating, "I'll take responsibility" to get the investigators to give up, will they keep the pressure on?
d. WMD and/or the lack of ... intelligence or lack thereof ... being utilized as the "blinding lie" to sway public opinion and which fooled Congress long enough to proceed with the charade which was the connection between 9-11 and Sadam, ultimately the basis for our pathetic unneccessary incursion in Iraq. Oil and military contracts outsourced to line the pockets of certain interest groups, coincidentally tied to Cheney's former company ... SHOCKING.

Have you heard enough? Ok, before this gets really out of hand ... let's head back to the movie review so I won't have to shut down my own blabber.

Can I move to Portugal for the next two years, until this nightmare is over?
Gizzyeq
Location: NYC & Japan, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by Gizzyeq »

I'm not usually the biggest war movie fan (I did promise Dave L. that I'd watch Apocalypse Now someday tho) maybe I'll watch this sometime but Syriana is on my to watch list.
I wanted to say that my wife (who is a full blooded Jpnese born and raised there/I'm a halfling born n raised in NY) watched it about a month ago in Jpn and was telling me the movie followed what she was taught in school and it was obviously sympathetic'ish towards the Jpnese and that a lot of people there liked it....but she reminded me that a lot of history books/text books in Jpn have been altered over the years and a lot of the population doesn't know the true details.

Roy if you liked Tampopo you should also check out by the same director(Juzo Itami).... Marusa no Onna(a Taxing Woman) and Suppah no Onna (Supermarket Woman) both with his wonderful quirky wife as lead actress(the same woman from Tampopo)

And NO you can't move to Portugal! you know why!
akira
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

Roy Hersh wrote:Alan,

Not going too far out on the political limb here ... :shock:
Roy

Are you ready to go with my "George Bush don't drink no port" suggestion now? It grows on you.....

Jay
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Akira,

No, remind me please. Of course, my family will come along and LIKE it! :twisted:

From your namesake Akira Kurosawa, I own:
Dreams, The Seventh Samurai, Kagemusha and a couple of others. Another Japanese film that I own and love is: in the realm of the senses.

For a long time I owned many more movies than bottles of wine with a couple of hundred in foreign languages alone!

Jay,

Not until I see what happens with Shrub's brother Jeb.
Gizzyeq
Location: NYC & Japan, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by Gizzyeq »

hehe well the reason would be...we can't fix anything if all the good people are bailing ship or keeping their mouth shut :mrgreen:

For example...non specifically USA related but probably might have some impact on us/world and definite impact on me...if everyone would complain to their congressman about what the PM of Jpn recently said(about what they did in WWII) I think maybe we can do some good....(what good is antagonizing N & S Korea help with ANY situation)...unfortunately Japan is the perfect example of Govt with VERY little accountability and input from the masses...if you think that our "election system" is "bad" imagine if you chose your elected officials by headshots plastered on a billboard with their name and party association listed only. There is no such thing as a debate on TV or any joint appearance to talk. Oh and the PM is then chosen by the winning party. :roll: The reason what the PM said affects me is that relations of the asian races in America has gotten better...I would hate for that to be ruined by a right wing Govt that doesn't speak for its people!

Ah the classics ^_^ I saw them out of order tho so my absolute favorites were Yojimbo and Tsubaki Sanjuro (Mifune is just amazing!) Definitely watch em if you get the chance...also for something newer Ame Agaru(After the Rain) and not by Kurosawa but...Tasogare Seibei(Twilight Samurai) are pretty great. I can give you a ton of anime recommendations also if you want hehe

I'm still much more of a movie fan than wine although wine/port is growing. Nothin like sipping a nice port while watching a great film! Keep on posting reviews Roy ^_^
akira
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Akira,

Send me an email and I'll shoot you a word doc where I have them stored.
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Roy,
you asked me why I hadn't commented on your political views. Well I love current affairs, but the Valerie Plame,Walter Reed and Halliburton issues had flown under my UK radar. (what didn't help was spelling Halliburton and Scooter wrong, but I got them eventually).
Now I'm appraised, I still cant see a connection between the Hospital conditions and the suspect Oil Company, but the rest is there. Like they say, Its not the scandal that gets you, its the cover up.
We're having our version of that with the 'Cash for Honours' scandal.

I dont think any but the ultra right wing can justify the Iraq war on the grounds that were explained at the time. WMD were suspected, but suspicion wasn't enough, so lies came forward. Its been accepted that low ranking officials spun data and exagerated what they found. Middle ranking Officials knew it was what the Leaders wanted and hyped it a little more, and then the leaders didn't question anyone before conveying it all as fact. Like the Lawyer who doesn't ask his client if he's guilty, even though he's pretty sure they are.
The difficulty is aportioning blame. Yes the public will throw out the elected leaders at the next possible opportunity, but look at the cost by then. Another distasteful aspect is the Administrations willingness to burn a low or middle ranking official as a sacrificial lamb.
Trying to be optimistic, another common factor seems to run through the series of events you mention and so many more, is how the people involved set out in life. Apart from the very few spoilt or evil people we have in the world, I believe the vast majority are good and well intentioned. I suspect most leaders, wether its of a Government, Hospital, Oil Company,etc, set out to help others and make a difference. Along the way, morals get squeezed, standards are only expected of others, and 'The Greater Good' arguments begin to prevail. Suddenly, no going back lines are crossed, and Ego's and Legacys start to impact.
Its gone on historically since we learned to squabble.
Power Corrupts and Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.
So even though safeguards and procedures appear obstructive, they're needed. And when the battle between the left and right of politics swings like a pendulum, and doesn't necessarily match your personal prefences, accept it as a safety net against extremism. And finally, protect Free Speech and Equal Opportunities for all, with your life.
My Political Standpoint? A little Right Wing, but suspicious of anyone else that is.

You did ask Roy! :) Alan
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I just want to go see the movie :roll: :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

And you will go to the Ball Cinders... :D
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I'll answer you privately Alan.