What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Derek T.

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Derek T. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Tom Archer wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote: He used to tell me that his favorite Vintage Port that he ever tasted was the 1922 Martinez and he followed up by buying six of them in the early 1970's. Unfortunately, he left none behind and had consumed his six before we ever met

I've never seen one and certainly never tasted one. So may I please live vicariously through your recounting of your recent bottle? Was it really as great as Frank used to wax poetic, about this particular Port?
Although I've only had it twice, Mz22 was no star turn. W22 is better, now, at any rate..
I can attest that Martinez 1922 was very good. It was confirmed by a second bottle a few days later. 8--)
Sadly, I have only had Mz22 twice in the past two weeks, both being fabulous [cheers.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thank you sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

S. Leonardo 40 Year Old Tawny Port

Still fabulous. Still the best.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Quinta da Revolta over 40 year old. Not as good as I remember and needs lots of aeration. It's an older bottling gotten at the old Vinologia.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Ifune wrote:Quinta da Revolta over 40 year old. Not as good as I remember and needs lots of aeration. It's an older bottling gotten at the old Vinologia.
That was a while ago...and that name....
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

For the weekend just gone I opened a bottle of Martinez 1970 that I bought at auction over 10 years ago.

It was very tasty!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

2000 Ramos Pinto VP
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Planning on a port night, Friday night with a couple of friends. Planning on two bottles

Options are:

83 + 85 Dow

77 + 85 Fonseca

70 + 77 Offley

77 + 85 Gould Campbell

Which one sounds the most appealing? Could swap the 85 Dow for an 83 Ramos, Ferreira or Fonseca. [shrug.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:Planning on a port night, Friday night with a couple of friends. Planning on two bottles

Options are:

83 + 85 Dow

77 + 85 Fonseca

70 + 77 Offley

77 + 85 Gould Campbell

Which one sounds the most appealing? Could swap the 85 Dow for an 83 Ramos, Ferreira or Fonseca. [shrug.gif]
If they are Port nerds, the Offley pair would be fun.

If not, 83 Ramos vs 83 Dow.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Moses Botbol wrote:Planning on a port night, Friday night with a couple of friends. Planning on two bottles

Options are:

83 + 85 Dow

77 + 85 Fonseca

70 + 77 Offley

77 + 85 Gould Campbell

For myself, I'd choose the GC77 vs GC85; but I also like (prefer?) the D83 vs RP83 idea too.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

The only one on the list I have not had or don't recall having is the Offley 77, so per Andy's choice that is the front runner. We shift it to tonight, instead of tomorrow or two nights...
John M.

Post by John M. »

Options are:

83 + 85 Dow

77 + 85 Fonseca

70 + 77 Offley

77 + 85 Gould Campbell

Love the 83 Dow so would choose that...its partner is either. The GC would be second choice. 85 Fonseca still needs time...let it sleep IMHO.
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Brunheda Over 40 year old. The "Simples not for sale" label.
Last edited by Eric Ifune on Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

2001 Graham’s Quinta dos Malvedos VP is now in decanter for later (375ml bottle)
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

What I was expecting to drink last night and how it unfolded were quite different. We didn't start drinking until 9:30 PM and since it was just two people, we had an '85 Niepoort VP and '82 Kopke Colheita 375ml.

It's been almost a decade since I last tried '85 Niepoort. That last bottle was next to '85 Fonseca and the Niepoort paled in comparison. This time around the Niepoort was stunner. Dark, great balance, smooth heat, plenty of fruit. Perhaps a touch simple, but was a pop and pour. An easy 95 pointer. The first bottle I had from the case must've been an anomaly as I would expect this vintage to be a good one. Glad to see the port is as good as I was hoping it to be.

Not sure what we have planned for tonight.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Moses Botbol wrote: It's been almost a decade since I last tried '85 Niepoort. That last bottle was next to '85 Fonseca and the Niepoort paled in comparison. This time around the Niepoort was stunner
I've had this one four times in the past decade, three times it was marred by VA, from a gentle hint to almost undrinkable; but on the most recent outing two years ago, showing perfectly..
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Last night was a '85 Ferreira VP and 30 year Maynards tawny. Ferreira keeps getting better and has a long future ahead of it. Maynards could've been a 50 year tawny and one would not know the difference. Color is very light, but tastes like some very old wines in the blend. Not what I would say tastes like a 20 year old tawny. Quite generous considering it was $27 USD
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1987 Taylor Quinta de Vargellas. My first ever bottle of it (I have 2 others in my cellar). Last night I had only decanted it for 6 hours. It was good, but I could tell it needed more time to open up. Tonight it's firing on all cylinders. It's a deep dark red. It has a very spicy, peppery taste to it and yet it's also sweet. You can smell the alcohol in it, but it's still fully integrated. Probably the best Port I've had since a '94 Fonseca I drank back in July. This Port still has a long life ahead of it. I don't think it's quite peaked yet.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

1927 Constantino

Opened for my mother's 90th birthday party (assuming it was bottled in 1929..)

Remarkably dark wine - slightly nutty on the palate with distinct notes of caramel.

Sadly a lone bottle.. - score 8-8
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Saturday night I went to a friend's house for a party. Brought a '77 Smith Woodhouse and '83 Dow. The SW had a lingering bottle stink and the bottle was gone before it went away. Dow was solid.