What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Tom Archer

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Tom Archer »

Roy Hersh wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:36 pm 1985 Graham's - I needed to have a more recent data point and with what turned out to be a six hour decant, this was a beautiful showing of this Vintage Port. Not quite on a par with best bottles of the Fonseca, imo, but still very very good indeed.
I've also had a G85 in the last week, quite a competent VP, but somehow lacking in star quality (I made a very similar note when last drunk in July last year) This was reinforced the following day when I opened a Warre '66 - a really solid VP that rather put the Graham to shame..
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

40 year Quevedo Tawny that I found in my cellar and had forgotten it was there. Love when that happens.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Tom wrote:
I've also had a G85 in the last week, quite a competent VP, but somehow lacking in star quality (I made a very similar note when last drunk in July last year) This was reinforced the following day when I opened a Warre '66 - a really solid VP that rather put the Graham to shame.
I do find the '85 Graham's a very solid VP, but love the Warre's 1966 and at two decades more mature, don't really consider it much of a fair Port in direct comparison; or even as mentioned. It would be like comparing the Graham's 1985 to a fine VP from 2003. They are at such different stages of their evolution as to be next to impossible to actually compare.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

1976 Noval Colheita. Sadly, my last bottle of this. This one was bottled in 2008 and is the last of 4 bottles drank over the past 7 years. All purchased at the same time and stored exactly the same. This final bottle was the best of the 4, having mellowed a bit (better integrated, less prominent heat) compared to the other bottles. In this case, the Port has aged into a more favorable profile for me. All were quite good, though.
Bram C

Post by Bram C »

I want to open up a bottle of Warre’s vintage Port 1970 for one of the christmas days. What would you guys recommand for decanting time for this bottle?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bram C wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:41 am I want to open up a bottle of Warre’s vintage Port 1970 for one of the christmas days. What would you guys recommand for decanting time for this bottle?
5-6 hrs should be about right.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Quevedo 40 Year Tawny Port.
John M.

Post by John M. »

In the last few days I've had a 1997 Dalva Colheita (Solid 92) and a 1985 Ferreira VP (just lovely). Good start to the holiday season!
Any Port in a storm!
Bram C

Post by Bram C »

Andy Velebil wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:48 am
Bram C wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:41 am I want to open up a bottle of Warre’s vintage Port 1970 for one of the christmas days. What would you guys recommand for decanting time for this bottle?
5-6 hrs should be about right.
Thank you Andy!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Warre's '63 VP for Christmas. The cork disintegrated and I had to push it into the bottle. Double decanted into a separate wine bottle and let it sit for 6 hours. I poured my first glass and it's the color of a tawny. There's a whiff of alcohol on the nose, but it doesn't dominate it. It has a light taste to it. The mouth feel is a little thin but still tasty. I was hoping for a little more but still not bad. I'll check on it gain after dinner in about 4 hours.

This was much improved after Christmas dinner. This was now 10 hours after decanting and although it's a thinner port then I expected, it's sweet, soft and smooth with just a hint of alcohol on the aftertaste. Very tasty and easy to drink. I'd give this a 92, maybe a 93.
Last edited by Mike J. W. on Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

A couple came over on Christmas on short notice. We had a '63 Sandeman VP. Has some heat and initial stink to it, but both settled down in an enjoyable holiday port!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

S. Leonardo 40
1997 Quinta do Vesuvio VP
Both were very good.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Forgot to mention the S. Leonardo 40 Year Old that I opened for our last game night of the year. Wanted to "up the ante" a bit and make it a holiday bash... I think it worked!
Glenn Elliott
Bram C

Post by Bram C »

The 1970 Warre's was in really great shape. It was my oldest bottle so far.
Are there some Dutch people overhere who want to do a tasting together?
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

S. Leonardo 30 Year Old. Bottled in 2009.
Bulas 20 Year Old. Bottled 2012
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

David Spriggs wrote:S. Leonardo 30 Year Old. Bottled in 2009.
Bulas 20 Year Old. Bottled 2012
I opened the same bottled year S Leonardo not long ago. Still very good but time to drink them is at hand.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Andy Velebil wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:25 pm
David Spriggs wrote:S. Leonardo 30 Year Old. Bottled in 2009.
I opened the same bottled year S Leonardo not long ago. Still very good but time to drink them is at hand.
Yes. That probably is my last bottle of the 30 Year Old bottled in 2009. I probably have 40 Year old from that same year though.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I opened a Graham 1977 for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Delicious.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ramos Pinto 20 Year Tawny
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

Bram C wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:27 pm
Are there some Dutch people overhere who want to do a tasting together?
There are :D , and I for one would be interested in a tasting in the Netherlands with some fellow Port lovers [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]
Cheers,
Gerwin