What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Mike J. W. »

1996 Kopke Colheita.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Roy Hersh wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:19 pm I was happy about the price, but more than that, I am hoping to get clean impressions of that particular VP. The majority of bottles I've tasted from friends' cellars, have been corked. Even one from Noval. So regardless of price, I just hope to get some clean bottles, so I can get an idea of where these really stand nowadays.
I had one this past summer and while it was good, it wasn't even remotely ready for primetime. I have several more bottles in my cellar and I'm not going to try one for at least another 5 years.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Good to know, thanks!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 1985 Fonseca VP
1 1994 Graham's VP
Picked them up at the Benchmark Bin Sale at excellent prices.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

2015 Cockburn VP. Bought it for $45. Unfortunately the store only had 1 left.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Yesterday I acquired a 50cl bottle of Conceito by Barbeito NV Ruby Port (there is also a NV White available). This was a new producer to me; it is a joint venture between Ricardo Diogo Freitas and Rita Ferreira Marques with the strapline "Grapes from the Dour, ideas from Madeira."

I tried a couple of glasses before buying and found it was a very good and enjoyable Ruby.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I've had the Conceito white earlier this year. Quite good, although a bit expensive.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

2 x 1995 Fonseca Guimaraens
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 2011 Dow VP
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 x 1985 Smith Woodhouse VP
2 x 1995 Graham's Malvedos

I picked them all up at a small shop in Central Jersey. I was surprised to see them. Wish they had more of the '85 SW.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Mike J. W. wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:51 pm 1 x 1985 Smith Woodhouse VP
2 x 1995 Graham's Malvedos

I picked them all up at a small shop in Central Jersey. I was surprised to see them. Wish they had more of the '85 SW.
The 1985 Smith Woodhouse is special. One of my favorites.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

6x 1997 Quinta do Vesuvio

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

2017 Niepoort VP. It was a Christmas gift and not a purchase. Now the question is how long can I keep my hands off of it?
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

A 1945 Niepoort Vintage port [cheers.gif]
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Not a purchase, but merely a delivery. I shipped 3 case equivalents of Port back from London and they arrive quickly and in perfect condition, so I thought I'd give a shout-out here to Seabrook Exports for their excellent service. Air freight to my door was about $17/bottle all in (which included labeling, insurance, and FDA fees on top of shipping), which was totally worth it since the Ports in question were about $75/bottle less expensive in England than in the US.

They price based on 9-liter case equivalents, so the fact that one of my "cases" was 4 x Tappit Hen wasn't an issue. Shipping included the original wood footlockers and boxes as well.
Glenn Elliott
Bram C

Post by Bram C »

3 bottles (magnum) of 2000 Fonseca
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

1966 Warre’s VP and a 1994 Croft VP.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

2x Borges 2015 vp (49.00$/bottle)
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

4 x 1994 Ferreira VP. Purchased them at auction for $33 each. Looking forward to trying one.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Jasper A. wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:19 am A 1945 Niepoort Vintage port [cheers.gif]
Nice score, Jasper!