1999 Quinta do Crasto LBV Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

1999 Quinta do Crasto LBV Port

Post by Roy Hersh »

1999 Quinta do Crasto LBV - It has been quite awhile since I have had such a wonderful experience with any LBV. Although familiar with the Vintage Ports from this producer, I have had very few of their LBVs and I will now rectify that mistake. This LBV showed a deeply extracted and dark ruby color. The fine aromas of bing cherry, cocoa powder and lingonberries kept my nose in the glass longer than usual, with just a hint of spicy red licorice. This Crasto delivered great depth of flavors with a remarkably smooth and soft mouth feel. On the palate, the richness of primary plum and blueberry notes were supported by a touch of sweet oak and a persistent finish that faded to chocolate. A no brainer and this is worthy of cellaring! 92+ points
Last edited by Roy Hersh on Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Thanks for the TN Roy! I absolutely love Crasto LBV's. The newest I've seen over here is the 1997 (great as well), so let's hope this will hit the shelves sometime soon.
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

Where can this LBV be found? I can't seem to locate the 1999, only the 1998 - thanks
Jesus Barquin

Post by Jesus Barquin »

LBV Quinta do Crasto 1999 is the most recent Port I have tasted (bought in Spain, at Paco Berciano's Alma Vinos Únicos - shop in Burgos 'El Lagar'). I was a bit disappointed at first sight, as I found it a bit diluted and lacking strength. I would say that it was below '97 and '98, of which I hace recent experiences. But after three or four days, I find it above them. Around 90 pt to my palate. Anyway, I must humbly confess that this one was -as well as so many other times- a half bottle... :oops: :D

There is still a glass left in the bottle that I will probably finish tomorrow.
Jesús Barquín
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I saved a few sips for today to see how this wine would evolve in the bottle, albeit recorked.

The color is a bit darker, but not by much. The body weight has put on a few pounds and is still as smooth as can be. There is now a slight touch of alcohol present that I did not note last night (and I was looking for it!). Still a really finely woven LBV. Points remain the same.

If we are bearing our souls here ... my bottle also was a 375 m.l. and it was a sample provided for review by the Crasto importer's local broker. This bottle was bottled unfiltered in 2003.

Jesus, I can not speak to the bottle you tried, but what first struck me about the wine in this bottle was it's incredibly inky extraction and concentration of flavors. Much more than the typical LBVs I have opened in the recent past.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jesus Barquin

Post by Jesus Barquin »

Mine is also labeled as unfiltered and "Quinta bottled in 2003", L-1203.

I am just tasting the last sips of it and find it even more complex and concentrated (or weighted) on one side, while less alcoholic than just after opened, on the other side. Very good indeed, although I find it at a similar level of concentration and quality (point up, point down) than the other LBVs I am frequenting recently: Warre's 1992, Noval 1996 and previous releases of Crasto ('97 and '98). Given their reasonable price and drinkability, I 'frequent' lately VP Osborne 1997 and Seara d'Ordens 2000 as well.
Jesús Barquín
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Well, since it has been mentioned here twice and others have told me it is very good, I will have to seek out the Quinta do Crasto LBV from 1997, which should be pretty easy to find. Thanks for the tip.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

In the Scots whisky business, blends were the norm and single malts unseen south of the border until Glenfiddich broke the mould.

In fact, Glenfiddich is not one of the best single malts, but it set an unstoppable trend, and blended whisky is now generally regarded as a lesser beast.

I am beginning to wonder if a similar re-assessment is occurring within the port trade - maybe the big name vintage port blends will find themselves ranked as a second division behind the best single quintas - we shall have to wait and see!
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Very interesting point here Tom. What could be a problem for the blended Vintage Port in the Douro is if many quinta are not selling their grapes to the companies that use their grapes for their VP.

Right now, some single quinta VP are very successful but are not yet in the big league to the exception of Vesusio. It has such a big vineyard that it can do a strict selection to make a very good VP each year, almost.

It is very important in a region like the Douro, because of its many micro-climate to own of have access to many source of grapes, so if a part of the Douro is less successful, you can compensate by adding more of this than that.

Since 1986, many quinta are not selling their grapes anymore and are producing their own port. This has affected the quantity and quality of Port that some major shipper where used to. I think we will see more moves like Taylor is doing right now to secure availability of great quality grapes in the near future, because many companies rely on these vineyards.

But also, do not forget that the Douro vineyards are still the lands of many very small growers that will not make their own brand port, there will always be plenty of grapes available. Development of the Douro Superior is also something to consider, but its high cost can dissuade many.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Had a bottle of the 1997 donated to me by the ever-generous Rootses - thanks Ronald. I had it a couple of weeks ago and failed miserably to make any notes. I do remember that I had decanted it and that it was considerably nicer the following day. Both Lady K (my fictitious wife) and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Steve Saxon

Post by Steve Saxon »

I just went to pickup a mag of the 01 Shafer HSS, and needed 5 more bottles of something to get an extra 10% discount, well low and behold they also had the 99 Quinta do Castro. Thanks Roy.
Wine brings truth.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

I tried this a while ago (from half bottle) and found it very disappointing - diluted, lacking in structure and too many green notes. I gave it 83 points. I was especially disappointed becaused I had the reference in my mind of the (superb) 1997 and the (very good) 1996.

Reading the comments above, I probably should have given this more time. I'll give it another try and make sure to give it some proper air time.