What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Mike J. W. »

1997 Pocas Colheita. Bottled 2016, so 19 years in barrel. Pocas makes delicious Colheitas and TWAIOA. This is a really good port, but I prefer the '92. That's not to say this isn't good. It is, it's very good, but the '92 is really good IMHO.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

2000 Quinta De La Prelada LBV - Impressive!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Had a good run of port the last couple of days. It's snowing so why not?

Thursday was 1970 Ramos Pinto Vintage, 1980 Ramos Pinto Vintage, 1970 Grahams Vintage, and 1985 Niepoort Vintage

Last night was 1963 Warre Vintage and 1966 Croft Vintage.

I plan to take it easy tonight, maybe some madeira? Feeling it from all those bottles...
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

What are your thoughts on the '85 Niepoort?
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

David Spriggs wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:18 pm 2000 Quinta De La Prelada LBV - Impressive!
That's a new one on me. Did you buy it locally? I just found the '15 and '12 LBV on Wine-Searcher, but only in Europe.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Mike J. W. wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:24 pm What are your thoughts on the '85 Niepoort?
They're okay, mid pack at best for the vintage. A bit of bottle variation. I'm about halfway down on a case of it. This particular bottle showed pretty well. By the time in the night I opened it, I wasn't looking for a show stopper.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Quinta da Romaneira 40 Year Old Tawny Port, bottled 2018

i.e. not the spectacular ones of old. This was one of the new ones with the black and gold only (no red) label. I still have one of the old ones left, along with now just one more of the new ones, and those will probably get opened together some time to compare and contrast.

Others like this better than I did, scoring it as high as 95 points. I gave it 93... I felt the acidity was too prominent to go any higher.
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Glenn E. wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:47 am Quinta da Romaneira 40 Year Old Tawny Port, bottled 2018

i.e. not the spectacular ones of old. This was one of the new ones with the black and gold only (no red) label. I still have one of the old ones left, along with now just one more of the new ones, and those will probably get opened together some time to compare and contrast.

Others like this better than I did, scoring it as high as 95 points. I gave it 93... I felt the acidity was too prominent to go any higher.
Do you think the acidity will mellow with more time in the bottle and thus the score might be higher later?
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Mike J. W. wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:17 pm
Glenn E. wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:47 am Quinta da Romaneira 40 Year Old Tawny Port, bottled 2018

Do you think the acidity will mellow with more time in the bottle and thus the score might be higher later?
That's tough to predict. I suspect that the answer is yes, but can only guess as to how much time in bottle that might take. Given the level of acidity in it I would guess that 5 years wouldn't be enough, so maybe 8-10? The problem being that you'd probably need a large supply to be able to really dial it in, and AFAIK it is only sold in Denmark now.
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

Ramos Pinto 20 TWAIOA

Superb! Really love this brand--whatever they make I seem to enjoy; cannot recall anything sub-par.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

1995 Taylor’s Qta d. Vargellas VP. Posted a note but forgot to list here. Very good.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:Ramos Pinto 20 TWAIOA

Superb! Really love this brand--whatever they make I seem to enjoy; cannot recall anything sub-par.
Agree
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

San Leonardo 20 yo white
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Eric Ifune wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:43 pm San Leonardo 20 yo white
I opened one a few weeks back. It is superb!
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Mike J. W. wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:31 pm
David Spriggs wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:18 pm 2000 Quinta De La Prelada LBV - Impressive!
That's a new one on me. Did you buy it locally? I just found the '15 and '12 LBV on Wine-Searcher, but only in Europe.
I bought it on my second Port Harvest Tour in 2006 at Vinologia in Porto. I have never seen it in the USA.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Drank a Kopke 10 YO White over a week. I tend to forget just how amazing quality of wine you get with even entry level port. This 10 YO from Kopke is no exception. Just crystal clear, succulent and packed with tropical flavours coated with honey. It was gone in a whiff.

Tonight I will be joined by 2 childhood friends and I intend to crack open a 2003 Kopke White colheita. A special vintage for me and one of the best white colheitas on the market in my humble opinion. If they behave I might add a 1985 Warre's VP to the pot. We shall see.

Have a great weekend and crack open something nice. Spring is coming and hope of getting out from under the corona-shadow. [friends.gif]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Morgado 10 yr tawny (by Sogrape). Picked up at my local Trader Joe’s for $12. This is my second bottle of it and it’s a very good value. At this price will make a good house port.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

2015 Graham's LBV. Filtered. A nice, easy drinking LBV although I prefer the 2015 Sandeman LBV over it.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

1983 Gould Campbell. Outstanding. It's a real shame that the Symingtons have retired this brand, as the Ports are among the most consistent in the business. Right up there with Graham in terms of reliability year after year.
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Glenn E. wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:33 am 1983 Gould Campbell. Outstanding. It's a real shame that the Symingtons have retired this brand, as the Ports are among the most consistent in the business. Right up there with Graham in terms of reliability year after year.
I like Gould a lot, but the last 2 1980's I had were badly corked and the '77 I had was off as well. I'm hoping I hit a bad patch with them and that's the end of it. I have a few more 63's, 80's, '83's, 91's and 00's still to drink through.