1999 Angove shiraz port - Australian

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Bob bman

1999 Angove shiraz port - Australian

Post by Bob bman »

Yes, of course this is not a port, no one feels more strongly about that than myself (I'm pretty anal about it, actually), but that's what it says on the label so I'm repeating it here.

I didn't really want to like this wine since it offended my portloving sensibilities that it called itself port, but in fact this was very much like an LBV, though I found it sweeter and dare I say, "grapier" than LBVs I've had. I tasted molasses and plum jam, and other good things that I forgot to write in my TNs.

It did have a slightly bitter finish which a bit off-putting but all in all this was surprisingly drinkable, especially for under CAD$20 a full bottle, a price that no even remotely drinkable port offers here in Ontario at least.

For those who like points, I score it 87, otherwise, I highly recommend this to those who like LBVs and are willing to try something different.
Last edited by Bob bman on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Where was this wine from? Clearly not Portugal, but I'm interested to hear where the grapes were grown.

Thanks,

Alex
Bob bman

Post by Bob bman »

It's Australian, but I forget where in Oz Angove's winery is located. They make several dry wines and some other sweet ones, I think.
Gilles Séguin

Post by Gilles Séguin »

Thanks Bman for your TN I was thinking of buying that wine at my LCBO store in Ottawa.

I presently have a 1991 vintage of that wine in my cellar, I dont know if it will have old the road ? When I open it I'll post my TN.

When I taste the 1999 I will post my notes.

From my tasting club, the Quebec city chapters, had those notes for that fortified wines of Australia. Tasted in 2004.

They tasted the Angoves 1996 vintage and their notes were:

From the southern Australia in the Riverland region.
100% shiraz, 18%alcool.
12 months in french and american oak.
A dense dark red color
Fruity and complex
Subtils spices, soft tannins, very good finish and roundness. Can be kept for a couples of years.

http://WWW.angoves.com.au