Moving to Oregon wine country

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Moving to Oregon wine country

Post by Roy Hersh »

Recent moves by famous winemakers and international producers of excellent wine have been seeking out the climate and soil types that Oregon presents. South African wine producer Hamilton Russell was one of the most recent examples. Based in Hermanus, So. Africa in the Western Cape winelands, where the Indian and Atlantic oceans meet, provides the extraordinary terroir for beautiful Pinot Noir. They have opened a new winery in Oregon in hopes of producing some excellent PN.

Now word has leaked that BOLLINGER, yes, that great Champagne house has just purchased PONZI from the original family and will begin to ramp up sparkling wine production there in a big way.

Domaine Drouhin was one of the first European companies to hit the trails in the Willamette Valley, in the 1990's and has reached the upper tier of Pinot production in the state.

Who's Next ... (no not the album!) ? [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lindsay E.

Re: Moving to Oregon wine country

Post by Lindsay E. »

'Bout time! I think Willamette is capable of better Methode Champenoise for my palate than Argyle. To be fair, the Argyle BdB, rose and extended tirage are all quite good. Stylistically though, Argyle shoots for a more more reductive, pure fruit style. I would like to see what Willamette can do with a more rich, oxidized style like Bollinger Champagne. Analemma BdB is outstanding but produced in too limited quantities (and is also from Columbia Gorge AVA, not Willamette.) With the money Bollinger has to invest, they should be able to make a primo example of Willamette traditional method sparkling wine for under $40 retail in large quantities. I'm excited about this news. Thanks for posting Roy.