What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Glenn E. »

1983 Graham 1.5L

I'm really going to be annoyed after my upcoming vacation to the south S.F. area because I won't be able to keep shipping auction winnings from K&L to my brother-in-law. K&L won't ship to WA anymore. :(
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:1983 Graham 1.5L

I'm really going to be annoyed after my upcoming vacation to the south S.F. area because I won't be able to keep shipping auction winnings from K&L to my brother-in-law. K&L won't ship to WA anymore. :(
Perhaps I could help for a small liquid fee Image
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 x 1963 Fonseca VP
1 x 1966 Fonseca VP
3 x 1977 Offley Porto Boa Vista VP
2 x 1977 Smith Woodhouse VP
1 x 1983 Ferreira Quinta Do Seixo SQVP
2 x 1983 Gould Campbell VP
1 x 1985 Gould Campbell VP
1 x 1985 Fonseca VP
1 x 1986 Graham's Malvedos SQVP
1 x 1994 Quinta do Vesuvio SQVP
2 x 1994 Churchill VP
2 x 1998 Churchill Quinta da Agua Alta SQVP
1 x 2005 Croft Quinta da Roeda SQVP
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:32 pm

The problem is that when I come visit you I can only reasonably bring back 12 bottles at a time! :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:

The problem is that when I come visit you I can only reasonably bring back 12 bottles at a time! :lol:
Hog wash. Domestically you can bring back cases for a small luggage fee.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Glenn E. wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:32 pm

I’m sure that Andy is able to help with that. He can make sure that no matter how many bottles you deliver to him, there are only 12 (or fewer) for you to take back.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Al B. wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:49 am
Glenn E. wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:32 pm
I’m sure that Andy is able to help with that. He can make sure that no matter how many bottles you deliver to him, there are only 12 (or fewer) for you to take back.
If I'm Andy, I'm loving that math.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I don’t buy much these days, but I’ve just bought 3 bottles of Taylor 1955 and 3 bottles of Taylor 1963. Both are just delicious wines.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I pitch occasional bids at auction, but hardly anything comes home this year.

I'm not sure whether the elevated prices are a 'new normal' or something that will evaporate with the return to economic normality. I have virtually no need of VP pre 2003, and my statistical understock of some vintages from then on is not pressing.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Tom Archer wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:18 pm I pitch occasional bids at auction, but hardly anything comes home this year.

I'm not sure whether the elevated prices are a 'new normal' or something that will evaporate with the return to economic normality. I have virtually no need of VP pre 2003, and my statistical understock of some vintages from then on is not pressing.
I'm really hoping it's not the new normal. It's getting harder and harder to find bargains on the various auction sites. It's not impossible, but lately, good deals are harder to come by.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:
Tom Archer wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:18 pm I pitch occasional bids at auction, but hardly anything comes home this year.

I'm really hoping it's not the new normal. It's getting harder and harder to find bargains on the various auction sites. It's not impossible, but lately, good deals are harder to come by.
I’ve noticed the same. Not sure if it’s a combo of people being bored at home and having some extra cash since travel was basically nonexistent or a new trend. Now that things are opening back up I guess we will see what happens.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Now that things are opening back up I guess we will see what happens.
And aside from the wine market, I think there are going to be significant lasting changes.

A lot of people who attend offlines are city office workers, who have been obliged to 'WFH' for the last few months. My impression is that most want to get back to the office, but only for three or four days a week. That will heighten awareness of the cost and time spent commuting, which was previously an unavoidable evil. Three or four days might soon drop to two or three after the initial excitement of getting back has worn off.

Then the office managers will start looking at the many empty desks when leases come up for renewal, and set about floorspace reduction, embracing the unpopular practice of denying all but the most senior staff a desk with their name on, and requiring all others to sit wherever, next to whoever, whenever they come in; destroying the office community spirit in the process.

Two or three days might then drop to one or two.

Will this effect offlines? I suppose it depends on whether employers decide to dictate their staff office 'face' days or leave it to their discretion. In the latter event, people will be able to pick days to suit the offlines, but if not, it could get tricky..
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Presidential 2011 LBV for $20 in Bethesda, MD [and posted a thread in Port Basics asking whether I want to open it now, sit on it for a few years, or even get a second]

Fonseca bin 27
John M.

Post by John M. »

1 - 2012 Quevedo Crusted Port
6 - San Leonardo (Q. do Mourao) 10 Year Old White

Both wines on "sale" in Pennsylvania....I just didn't get enough of the White from the buying op and it's summer.
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

John M. wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:32 am 6 - San Leonardo (Q. do Mourao) 10 Year Old White
These are beautiful... I got a case in the buying op and I kinda wish I'd picked up more.

Though if it hits the projected 115F today I won't be drinking anything but ice cold sweet tea! Luckily I have AC, but it can't keep up in these temperatures. It'll probably reach 85 in the upstairs today, and I've been told that's actually really good. I was told that most home AC systems are only designed to take off about 20 degrees vs the outside temperature unless you live somewhere like Texas or Las Vegas where they know that's not sufficient.
Glenn Elliott
Randy Katz

Post by Randy Katz »

2000 Niepoort VP - 2
2000 Noval Silval VP - 3

At auction, $160 was nice.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

if it hits the projected 115F today
Here in the UK we've had the coldest April for 35 years followed by the coldest May for 25 years. On the 21st June the temperature was a mere 55F and today a searing 65F is forecast - way below long term averages..

..whatever happened to global warming? According to the forecasts made 25 years ago, I should be growing bananas in my garden now..
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 x 1944 Kopke Colheita
2 x 2017 Niepoort VP
1 x 1985 Graham's VP
1 x 1994 Graham's VP
1 x 1994 Churchill VP
1 x Quinta do Mourao 30 yo Tawny
1 x Quinta do Mourao 30 yo White
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 x 1963 Taylor Fladgate VP
1 x 1963 Croft VP
1 x 1977 Taylor Fladgate VP
2 x 2003 Dow VP
1 x 2015 Magalhaes VP
Marc R

Post by Marc R »

All of my Quevedo ports (and table wines) from the subscriber buyers op were just personally hand delivered by Rachel (from Rachel Farah Selections) to my home this morning. Talk about stellar service..

I’m excited to break into them soon as I’ve never tried any of their wines before and expect good things

1992 Colheita
40 year Tawny
20 year Tawny
Crusted
Q Grande Reserve