Multi: 10 Year Tawny Ports Noval, Taylor, Delaforce, Graham's, +

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

PaulG
Location: South Bend, Indiana, United States of America - USA

Multi: 10 Year Tawny Ports Noval, Taylor, Delaforce, Graham's, +

Post by PaulG »

After really getting interested in Port over the Christmas holiday last year, I have been slowly but surely trying different shipper's 10 year tawny's trying to get some impressions of what I liked and didn't like on a wine that was affordable for me and somewhat readily available. Thus far I have made it through 5 different shippers, and figured I would put my rather rudimentary impressions on here--I have ranked them in order of my favorites.

1 Noval--the first I tasted and still my favorite, had a nice blend of sweetness and smoothness. All the taste's seemed to blend together were nothing really stood out over the rest--thats what I like

2 Taylor--This was another good one, I liked the texture was a little thicker than the other's I tried

3. Delaforce--this one ends up in the middle, nothing really jumped out as being great, but still had a nice sweetness with a good finish

4. Otima--I really have no complaints about this one, it surely tasted good, but didn't seem to be as deep/intricate as the other 3

5. Grahams--this one was really a disappointment for me, I got 2 bottles because I found a good price, but the taste of alcohol really seemed to dominate the drink, and I have found so far that for me the best ports are those where no particular flavor jumps out, but rather I like those that tend to be a blend of lots of different flavors.

Anyways, that is my limited experience thus far--My fiancee's bday is coming up soon, so I have a 1983 Warre picked out, looking forward to that in a few weeks. (I guess it is as much a present for me as her.)
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Paul,

Thanks for the TN's, don't worry about them being "Rudimentary" as the most important thing in a TN is excatly what you wrote, your impressions. I am glad that you have been able to try quite a few 10 years in a short time. That is the best way to figure out which ones you like the most.

If I may suggest two more for you to try that I think you will like, based on your comments.

1- Ferreira Quinta do Porto 10 year tawny
2- Niepoort 10 year Tawny.

Of the 2, the Ferreira I like the best. It is just a seemless integration of numerous flavors and is one of the best examples of a 10 year tawny Port I've had.

Have fun on your Fiancee's b-day and be sure to let us know how that '83 goes.

(edit: due to my aging brain)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Paul,

Its great that you've posted your first tasting notes. I'm not a great drinker of tawny wines so I always find it interesting to read the thoughts of others. Its great to be stuck in a restaurant where they offer a tawny and be able to think back to an impression that someone else had when they tried the wine.

And enjoy the Warre's 83. It a personal favourite of mine. If you want any help or suggestions on decanting process or time then just let us know.

Alex
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Paul,

I have had a similar experience with the Taylor's 10 yr and the Graham's 10 yr. Found the Graham experience to be ruined by excess alcohol and the Taylor to be one of the best I have tasted. Certainly more viscous than the Otima, which I liked but would not consume a whole bunch of.

Smith Woodhouse was similar to the Graham's - spirity, but not AS much burn.

Offley's 10 year is fairly good and typically priced well.

(As an aside, if you can find the Offley Baron de Forrester 30 year old, I was able to find a smoking deal on it ($75Cdn for a 30 yr old that is magnificently smooth, caramelly, and just beautiful,) indulge yourself. It is something to be celebrated! So much so that I have gone back and purchased three bottles of it!!! :D )

I've still been looking for the Niepoort and Delaforce myself. Not many shops around Edmonton carry either of those labels, never mind their 10 yr Tawnys.