What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:2003 Kopke White Colheita

I'm really enjoying these young white Ports lately... so yummy!
Agree, this is a nice young white tawny
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Viera de Sousa 10 year old white for New Years.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

S. Leonardo 40 Year Old Tawny Port for New Year's Eve with a small group of close friends.
Glenn Elliott
Nick Mc

Post by Nick Mc »

Andy Velebil wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:05 pm
Nick Mc wrote:Woke up Christmas morning. Felt fine but had a lot of messages on my phone that people I had been around tested positive. Took a test and sure enough….

11lb prime rib sitting on the counter…

I had already decanted a ‘95 Fonseca Guimaraens….

So I basically stayed in my room and drank the decanter.

Finishing it up now actually. 30 hours out of the bottle and it might be even better than last night…
Oh ouch. I hope you’re doing ok?
I’m fine, thanks for asking. No symptoms but stayed in my room for 6 days just to be sure. Wife left pints of Guinness at the door, lol! Oldest made me a gin and tonic one day…
Attachments
D870BE8B-ACCA-434E-A6F6-E202988D552D.jpeg
D870BE8B-ACCA-434E-A6F6-E202988D552D.jpeg (3.42 MiB) Viewed 2977 times
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Nick Mc wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:23 pm
Andy Velebil wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:05 pm
Nick Mc wrote:Woke up Christmas morning. Felt fine but had a lot of messages on my phone that people I had been around tested positive. Took a test and sure enough….

11lb prime rib sitting on the counter…

I had already decanted a ‘95 Fonseca Guimaraens….

So I basically stayed in my room and drank the decanter.

Finishing it up now actually. 30 hours out of the bottle and it might be even better than last night…
Oh ouch. I hope you’re doing ok?
I’m fine, thanks for asking. No symptoms but stayed in my room for 6 days just to be sure. Wife left pints of Guinness at the door, lol! Oldest made me a gin and tonic one day…
Pretty sweet getting Guinness and G&T's delivered right to your door. One of my favorite beers and my go to drink.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

1957 Kopke Colheita (b. 2017) to start the year on New Year's night.
Glenn Elliott
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Taylor Fladgate 40 Y.O. - always a favorite!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Barao de Vilar 1990 Colheita, bottled 2021. Nice 31 year old Colheita at a low price. Very good QPR.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Blackett 10YO White, which is delicious.

Preparing half a bottle of 2015 Fonseca Guimaraens and a 1977 Quarles Harris for Friday's get together with my childhood friends. [friends.gif]
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

1970 Fonseca Vintage Port

Sadly it was corked, so I'm the only one who will get to enjoy it. :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Pocas 30 year old Tawny. These are so good and relatively inexpensive compared to other 30 year old Tawnies.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:Pocas 30 year old Tawny. These are so good and relatively inexpensive compared to other 30 year old Tawnies.
Their prices have really gone up so if you’ve got a source at a good price buy up now.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:24 am
Mike J. W. wrote:Pocas 30 year old Tawny. These are so good and relatively inexpensive compared to other 30 year old Tawnies.
Their prices have really gone up so if you’ve got a source at a good price buy up now.
Andy, I can still get it for $60 or under which is a great bargain for a very good 30 year old.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:
Andy, I can still get it for $60 or under which is a great bargain for a very good 30 year old.
At that price, buy it all :)
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:21 pm
Mike J. W. wrote:
Lol, yeah I have multiple bottles in my cellar and I pick a bottle up about once a month. It's really good and the QPR is something else.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:
Mike J. W. wrote: Andy, I can still get it for $60 or under which is a great bargain for a very good 30 year old.
Lol, yeah I have multiple bottles in my cellar and I pick a bottle up about once a month. It's really good and the QPR is something else.
Given the other thread where Pocas’ 10 and 20 were significantly younger than their stated age, one has to wonder how young the 30 yr really is.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:24 pm
Mike J. W. wrote:
Given the other thread where Pocas’ 10 and 20 were significantly younger than their stated age, one has to wonder how young the 30 yr really is.
I'm not sure, but it drinks well regardless. It certainly drinks better than most 20 y.o.'s
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:24 pm
Mike J. W. wrote: Lol, yeah I have multiple bottles in my cellar and I pick a bottle up about once a month. It's really good and the QPR is something else.
I'm not sure, but it drinks well regardless. It certainly drinks better than most 20 y.o.'s
At the price, then a good deal regardless.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1994 Quinta do Vesuvio
I opened one of these a few years ago and found it good, but not as great as past bottles and perhaps closed or shut down. No longer, this bottle was great.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Quinta de Brunheda 40+ Year Old Tawny Port (bottled 2021)

We had one of these a month ago and it was... very different... so I wanted to open another. I'm please to say that the first bottle was probably suffering from some weird permutation of travel shock because this one was brilliant. One 95, two 96s, and a 97 from the table. (IIRC.)
Glenn Elliott