What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Mike J. W. »

1985 Graham's VP (last week).

1997 Martinez VP
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

1985 Smith Woodhouse VP
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

1997 Taylor Fladgate VP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Niepoort LBV 2017, it has a really nice bite and great body and as many Niepoort high quality Ruby nowadays, really fun to drink young, hard to keep it :)
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
John M.

Post by John M. »

Visiting Mother & Niece in Florida with my son. The conversation turns to Port....so after dinner I went to the closest B&M store intending to get a tawny and ruby to have them taste and found nice little taster sets of Q d Carvalhas; and a regular bottle of 2016 Offley LBV (bottled 2020--unfiltered and quite tannic so I'd say good potential to age). Really nice and fun to have them experience 4 Ports esp the 30 and 40--wish I could find similar for rubies. Sometimes I feel like we are Johnny Appleseeds introducing so many people to Port and "planting" it in their heads how good it can be.....
Attachments
100 Years of Carvalhas
100 Years of Carvalhas
Carvalhas 100.JPG (132.24 KiB) Viewed 3801 times
Any Port in a storm!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

2000 SWC - Smith Woodhouse Colheita
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:2000 SWC - Smith Woodhouse Colheita
How was it?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:11 pm
Mike J. W. wrote:2000 SWC - Smith Woodhouse Colheita
How was it?
It was Meh. I can't tell when it was bottled because the back label was missing when I bought it in the store a few year's back. It looks VERY young however. The taste is pleasant enough but nothing special. It's certainly a drinkable Colheita, but more run of the mill, not a standout. I'll have to do a tasting note on it. Generally I find Smith Woodhouse Ports to be good QPR's but I would only buy this if it was marked down.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Viera de Sousa 10 year old.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1922 Martinez Gassiot & Co. Vintage Port
1968 Krohn Porto Colheita Port
1968 J.H. Andresen Porto Colheita Port
ports.jpg
ports.jpg (159.08 KiB) Viewed 3744 times
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

That's a nice pair of 68s, how did they compare?
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:43 pm That's a nice pair of 68s, how did they compare?
Both were good, but the Krohn was the clear winner to me. Both were relatively old bottlings (2008 for the Krohn, 2010 for the Andresen), and the Andresen was cloudy despite having some time to settle after being stood up. I didn't score them at the time, but maybe 92 for the Andresen and 95 for the Krohn? (I presume you're asking about the Ports. The other four 1968s were very good as well. Surprisingly, not a bad bottle in that lineup.)
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:24 pm
Glenn E. wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:43 pm That's a nice pair of 68s, how did they compare?
Both were good, but the Krohn was the clear winner to me. Both were relatively old bottlings (2008 for the Krohn, 2010 for the Andresen), and the Andresen was cloudy despite having some time to settle after being stood up. I didn't score them at the time, but maybe 92 for the Andresen and 95 for the Krohn? (I presume you're asking about the Ports. The other four 1968s were very good as well. Surprisingly, not a bad bottle in that lineup.)
That's a good score for a Krohn that's been in bottle for that long! I'd love to have those two head-to-head some time, but that's going to be difficult to pull off now. :(
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Eric Menchen wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:24 pm
I'm glad to hear that about the Krohn's. I recently picked up 2 of the '68's that were also bottled in 2008 and have yet to try one. I'll probably crack one open next fall when I have a Colheita tasting with some friends. We're going taste a bottle from each decade from the 1930's through the 1980's.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

2000 Vale do Maria VP. Needing something for a pop and pour last night. Elegant with blueberries and a touch of heat. Classy port.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

1963 Graham
1966 Graham
unknown producer Very Old Tawny Port

Both Grahams were pretty spectacular. The '66 was the wine of the night for me on Saturday, and the '63 was in the running on Friday. The VOTP was interesting but not great... it was bottled in 1993 and probably would have been better back then.
Glenn Elliott
Patti G

Post by Patti G »

I opened an American Port called Black Cap Port, NV from 'Big Cork Winery' in Maryland. I had it in my frig, unopened, as I hadn't used it for the holidays. The first night, delicious. The second night, even better. very slight alcohol, immediate healthy whiff of raspberry and a slight deep cocoa with a firm mouthfeel. It didn't last in the glass waiting for it to get to room temp! Delicious. It wins top prize at the Md. Governor's Cup, yearly. Now I see why.🤗
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Patti G wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:55 pm I opened an American Port called Black Cap Port, NV from 'Big Cork Winery' in Maryland. I had it in my frig, unopened, as I hadn't used it for the holidays. The first night, delicious. The second night, even better. very slight alcohol, immediate healthy whiff of raspberry and a slight deep cocoa with a firm mouthfeel. It didn't last in the glass waiting for it to get to room temp! Delicious. It wins top prize at the Md. Governor's Cup, yearly. Now I see why.🤗
Welcome to the forum Patti and congrats on your first post.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Ferreira Dona Antonio 10 year old.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

1961 Krohn Colheita
1982 Krohn Colheita
1977 Warre's VP