What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Mike J. W. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:52 pm
Mike J. W. wrote:2 x 1937 Quinta do Noval Colheita
2 x 1966 Fonseca VP
4 x 1985 Warre VP
2 x San Leonardo 30 yo White
1 x San Leonardo 30 yo Tawny
What year bottled for the 37? And it is such a tasty bottle.
Bottled in 1996, so it's been in bottle awhile now, but I'm looking forward to them nonetheless. The bottles are in good shape, the fills are into the neck and I got them at a very good price relatively speaking.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

That might be my favorite of all of the 1937 Colheitas. I only have 1 bottle left and it's more of a curiosity than anything else because it was bottled in 1997, so similar to yours. More recent bottlings are amazing.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Mike J. W. wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:51 pm 2 x San Leonardo 30 yo White
And where did you get those? Anyone know retail outlets that are carrying those in the US currently? I do see two listings on wine-searcher.com. I'm wondering if there is somewhere that wine-searcher is missing.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Eric Menchen wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:25 am
And where did you get those? Anyone know retail outlets that are carrying those in the US currently? I do see two listings on wine-searcher.com. I'm wondering if there is somewhere that wine-searcher is missing.
Both John M. and I drive over the border to Pennsylvania They have state stores (all alcohol except for beer is sold by the state). They have a limited amount and you have to find the right stores that actually stock it. Unfortunately, I don't believe they ship out of state. If you Google "Fine Wine & Good Spirits" a link to their website should pop up.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Finally got my hands on the 2011 Alves de Sousa VP. Been looking for this for a while.A good deal at $50 per bottle.

Not much focus on the 2011 vintage in the market currently, might be time to add some more from this stellar vintage to my cellar. [cheers.gif]
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Thomas V wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:48 pm Finally got my hands on the 2011 Alves de Sousa VP. Been looking for this for a while.A good deal at $50 per bottle.

Not much focus on the 2011 vintage in the market currently, might be time to add some more from this stellar vintage to my cellar. [cheers.gif]
That's a great price for a very good Port. I used to find them somewhat easily in NJ, but they're starting to get scarce here.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Mike J. W. wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:35 pm
Eric Menchen wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:25 am
Both John M. and I drive over the border to Pennsylvania They have state stores (all alcohol except for beer is sold by the state). They have a limited amount and you have to find the right stores that actually stock it. Unfortunately, I don't believe they ship out of state. If you Google "Fine Wine & Good Spirits" a link to their website should pop up.
Eric;

PM me if you need assistance!
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

John M. wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:30 am
Mike J. W. wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:35 pm Both John M. and I drive over the border to Pennsylvania They have state stores (all alcohol except for beer is sold by the state). They have a limited amount and you have to find the right stores that actually stock it. Unfortunately, I don't believe they ship out of state. If you Google "Fine Wine & Good Spirits" a link to their website should pop up.
Thank you both, but I'll survive without those since I still have some in the cellar from the last FTLOP buy. I have a friend that was interested in getting some, but I think this is more trouble than we want to take on. I used to live in PA and am familiar with the state stores. We used to drive to NJ to stock up for parties.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Eric Menchen wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:53 pm
John M. wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:30 am
Mike J. W. wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:35 pm Both John M. and I drive over the border to Pennsylvania They have state stores (all alcohol except for beer is sold by the state). They have a limited amount and you have to find the right stores that actually stock it. Unfortunately, I don't believe they ship out of state. If you Google "Fine Wine & Good Spirits" a link to their website should pop up.
Thank you both, but I'll survive without those since I still have some in the cellar from the last FTLOP buy. I have a friend that was interested in getting some, but I think this is more trouble than we want to take on. I used to live in PA and am familiar with the state stores. We used to drive to NJ to stock up for parties.
I went to college in PA, we'd do the same thing and drive over the Tacony Palmyra bridge from PA to NJ. The liquor was always cheaper plus the fact that the legal drinking age was 18 in Jersey versus 21 in PA. But, if we wanted grain alcohol for our parties, we'd buy that at the state store in PA. Good times.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 x 1960 Ferreira VP
2 x 1966 Fonseca VP
3 x 1980 Dow VP
1 x 1983 Ramos Pinto VP
4 x 1985 Warre VP
1 x Pocas 30 y.o. Tawny
John M.

Post by John M. »

1 x Dows 20 Year TWAIOA
1 x 2014 Q. do Crasto LBV (I have an odd vertical of every Crasto LBV from 2004 thru 2014 now--one of the best QPRs out there IMHO)
Any Port in a storm!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

John M. wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:42 pm 1 x Dows 20 Year TWAIOA
1 x 2014 Q. do Crasto LBV (I have an odd vertical of every Crasto LBV from 2004 thru 2014 now--one of the best QPRs out there IMHO)
Sounds like a tasting party to me. :D
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

John M. wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:42 pm 1 x 2014 Q. do Crasto LBV (I have an odd vertical of every Crasto LBV from 2004 thru 2014 now--one of the best QPRs out there IMHO)
Agreed. The 2011 Crasto was best in class for me.

I just picked up a few bottles of the 2015 Crasto LBV. Dang tasty.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Mike: I take that as a YES when the tasting happens!

Thomas: So far have not seen the 2015. Seems to be under the radar here is the U.S.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Crasto makes some darn good LBV’s.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Found another 1987 Taylor Quinta de Vargellas VP at Acker and snagged it for minimum bid. I was sure it was going to go way higher than that, but no one else bid! Yay!
Glenn Elliott
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Glenn E. wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:00 pm Found another 1987 Taylor Quinta de Vargellas VP
Lucky!! [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 x Quinta da Romaneira 40 y.o. tawny
1 x Vista Alegre over 40 y.o. tawny
2 x 2003 Kopke White Colheita

Thanks to Moses for turning me on to some stores in Massachusetts. I drove up there yesterday to pick up some auction winnings from Skinner Auctions and then did some Port hunting based on his recommendations. I'm especially excited about the two 40 y.o.'s...tawnies.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Mike J. W. wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:05 pm 1 x Quinta da Romaneira 40 y.o. tawny
Which Romaneira 40 is it?

The old bottles which were out-of-this-world good have the numeral "40" on the front label in red. I think those were last produced in about 2014... might have been a year or two later than that, but not by much.

The new bottles are still very good, but nothing like the old ones. On those, the label is just black and gold.
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Glenn E. wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:35 pm
Mike J. W. wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:05 pm 1 x Quinta da Romaneira 40 y.o. tawny
Which Romaneira 40 is it?

The old bottles which were out-of-this-world good have the numeral "40" on the front label in red. I think those were last produced in about 2014... might have been a year or two later than that, but not by much.

The new bottles are still very good, but nothing like the old ones. On those, the label is just black and gold.
I remember reading that the old bottlings were out of this world (and I remembered the mention of the red labeling as well), so as soon as I saw the gold lettered "40", I knew it was a newer bottle. It ended up being bottled in 2020. I'll still take it.

In a cruel twist of fate, the Vista Alegre was bottled in 2014. :shock: