What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Mike J. W. »

Randy Katz wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:10 pm
Mike J. W. wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:10 pm
Eric Menchen wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:24 pm
Both were good, but the Krohn was the clear winner to me. Both were relatively old bottlings (2008 for the Krohn, 2010 for the Andresen), and the Andresen was cloudy despite having some time to settle after being stood up. I didn't score them at the time, but maybe 92 for the Andresen and 95 for the Krohn? (I presume you're asking about the Ports. The other four 1968s were very good as well. Surprisingly, not a bad bottle in that lineup.)
I'm glad to hear that about the Krohn's. I recently picked up 2 of the '68's that were also bottled in 2008 and have yet to try one. I'll probably crack one open next fall when I have a Colheita tasting with some friends. We're going taste a bottle from each decade from the 1930's through the 1980's.
I have those '68s and usually prefer the Andresen. B-Day year for me and my wife. Same bottling year on the Krohn. Had the BV Special Burgundy as well in 2018 and it was quite impressive.

If you open a Krohn '68 and it is cloudy, run it through cheesecloth or even layered paper towns in a funnel. Once clear and aired out for a couple of hours, it is far better.
Great suggestion. Thanks Randy.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Just be careful if you use paper towels... depending on the brand and manufacturing process, those can affect the flavor of the Port. Unbleached cheesecloth is much safer.
Glenn Elliott
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Small Bring a Bottle tasting. All served 100% blind.

2005 Dow's Quinta do Bomfim SQVP
2002 Prelada LBV
1999 Smith Woodhouse Madalena SQVP
2018 Croft Quinta da Roêda SQVP

20YO Messias Tawny
20YO Andresen Tawny
Butler Nephew Tawny Reserva

The standouts for me were the Bomfim, Madalena & Andresen. Especially the Madalena was very delicious with loads of English liquorish and plums. The Andresen had quite a depth of flavour for a 20 year old port and at a very reasonable price as well. Just a great tawny house.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andresen 40 Year Old Tawny Port, bottled 2021. Very nice, but pop-n-pour seemed a tad more acidic than usual. I have about 1/3 of the bottle left and am going to let it sit a couple of days to see if it calms down a bit.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1965 Kopke Colheita, 375ml, bottled in 2015. Pop and pour revealed a little bottle stink that faded with some time in the glass. I also then decanted the rest to help it improve. Very tasty with lots of different flavors, but not outstanding.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Fonseca 2003 LBV
Fonseca 2003 LBV
ACC0BDF6-4A99-45E1-AF53-522C42EE551B.jpeg (19.93 KiB) Viewed 3556 times
I opened this bottle last night. Bottled unfiltered in 2008 and had deposited a small amount of very fine sediment. It was my only bottle and now I’ve opened it I’ve realised I should have kept it to open alongside and compare with a Fonseca 2003 VP.

Oh well.
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

1997 Warre's VP 375 mL (2/18)
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

1998 Cockburn’s Quinta dos Canais. It’s been my house VP for a while now and is in the perfect spot to enjoy.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1985 Barros Colheita. Bottled 2015. Nice acidity and very smooth.

I opened a 2003 Kopke Colheita White earlier in the week That's really good.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:1985 Barros Colheita. Bottled 2015. Nice acidity and very smooth.

The Kopke white is a nice youngish (well not really lol) white. One of the better in its age range.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:00 pm
Mike J. W. wrote:1985 Barros Colheita. Bottled 2015. Nice acidity and very smooth.

The Kopke white is a nice youngish (well not really lol) white. One of the better in its age range.
This 1985 Barros Colheita keeps getting better and better. I highly recommend it.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Bottled 2017
Bottled 2017
50BE0ACC-1B33-4871-B04B-84D498FB05BB.jpeg (18.2 KiB) Viewed 3472 times

Dalva 2007 while colheita, bottled 2017. I bought this in VNdG a couple of years ago out of curiosity. I love white port and had never tried this one. I’m glad I’ve tried it, but I don’t intend to hunt down more bottles of it.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Also opened a 2003 Kopke White Colheita.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Ifune wrote:Also opened a 2003 Kopke White Colheita.
It's a trend! I have also opened a 2003 Kopke White Colheita, and a S. Leonardo 40 yr old Tawny Port.

It's 74 degrees out right now in Kansas City, and that Kopke is tasting mighty fine.
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Niepoort 20 y.o. tawny.
Nick Mc

Post by Nick Mc »

2014 Graham LBV. Just ok.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

1997 Sandeman Vau Vintage. still very youthful and dark, not ready for prime time yet. I'd say they made this "earlier drinking Port" a bit too good.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:00 pm 1997 Sandeman Vau Vintage. still very youthful and dark, not ready for prime time yet. I'd say they made this "earlier drinking Port" a bit too good.
I opened one about 2 years ago after I found a couple of them for around $25. It wasn't bad at all, but you're right, they need more time.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Vieira de Sousa 10 year old.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Friday the High Bridge Port Club is Meeting and we will be having a vertical of Quinta do Crasto LBVs. Annually I would buy at least a case, drink some, give some away, swap some but I saved 2 per year thinking someday have a vertical. So this Friday we will be tasting one set. In the line up are 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010 (there is no 2009), 2011, 2012 and 2014 (missing 2013 & 2015 and anything prior to 2006). To make an even 8 we are adding in a 1994 Q. do Crasto VP (Mike J. W. is bringing that!--he is the Honored Guest).

Looking forward to this one. I've long felt the Crasto LBVs are very good and most I got for $12 to $18/per so an awesome QPR. That and some I've not tasted in a decade so interested to see how they have evolved. The plan is to taste all blind.

BTW, the other set has the 2004 and 2005 and I need to get the 2013 and 2015. So hoping in another 5-10 to be repeating this on a grander scale.
Any Port in a storm!