What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Thomas V

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Thomas V »

Smith Woodhouse 2009 LBV today as a warm up.

Tomorrow the finisher for a QPR tasting will be Smith Woodhouse 1970 VP. I am stoked about tasting it!! :salute:
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

DR 40 Year Old Tawny Port
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

Little High Bridge NJ Port Night tonight. Nothing fancy--just a few LBVs and Ruby Reserves (The Host LOVES his reserves--mostly Noval Black and Warres Warrior---for tonight the Black is on, Warrior is not but I do not know all the rest.)

Love nights like this...just sharing Port casually with a few noshes, good conversation and few laughs.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

1987 Kopke Colheita
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

2008 DR White Colheita

Crazy good value. I wish DR had an importer in the US! Or maybe I don't... they might run out too quickly! :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:57 pm 1987 Kopke Colheita
These can be really good. Which bottling year was yours? I've seen (and resisted buying) some from as long ago as 1996 or 1997. I couldn't figure out why they were so inexpensive (around $20 IIRC) until I saw that bottling date. :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I just decanted a 2004 Dow Crusted Port. It smells and tastes promising.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Over the last couple of weeks I’ve had the chance to meet up with a few folks who really love their Port (and wine) so have been able to open some great bottles. These included;
  • Krohn 1963 VP
  • Cavendish 1963 late bottled vintage (from South Africa)
  • Constantino 1963 VP
  • Noval 1968 Colheita
  • Unknown Shipper, 1927 VP
  • Fonseca 1970
  • Niepoort 1987 Garrafeira
  • Coates & Seely NV Brut
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

2003 Kopke Colheita Branco

It was 101 degrees outside at the barbecue competition, but we were in the shade and had a slight breeze. So I kept it pretty cold (in an ice chest) and it was wonderful.
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1970 Croft VP. Exposed cork. Decanted, it was a a faded, almost transparent rosewater. This may be cooked.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:1970 Croft VP. Exposed cork. Decanted, it was a a faded, almost transparent rosewater. This may be cooked.
That doesn’t sound good :(
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

10 year old White from Quinta das Lamelas. Quite possibly the best 10YO white on the market. Hot dang it is good. [kez_11.gif]
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Thomas V wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:04 pm 10 year old White from Quinta das Lamelas. Quite possibly the best 10YO white on the market. Hot dang it is good. [kez_11.gif]
Last year we tasted the 10YO whites from Lamelas, Mourao, Prelada, and Blackett side-by-side at LaDo in Porto. According to my notes, I agree with you! I gave it a slight edge over the Mourao, and both of those were noticeably better than the Prelada and Blackett.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

San Leonardo 40 yo white for the forth.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

1994 Smith Woodhouse VP. Lovely and so young still.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Feuerheerd 20 y.o. Tawny. Nice, steady TWAIOA. Nothing flashy, but a good QPR.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Thomas V wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:04 pm 10 year old White from Quinta das Lamelas. Quite possibly the best 10YO white on the market. Hot dang it is good. [kez_11.gif]
That is currently my favourite 10yo white! I drink a couple of cases a year - with quite a lot of help from the wife.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Warre Cavadinha 2001 - it’s Wednesday night and I’ve been working hard in the garden all day. Still very young with lots and lots of primary fruit, but just starting to hint at that Warre elegance it will show in 20 years.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Al B. wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:44 pm
That is currently my favourite 10yo white! I drink a couple of cases a year - with quite a lot of help from the wife.
Bought 2 bottles. The first was gone in a whiff and I have been eye balling the last ever since [dance2.gif] It just find the complexity and acidity to be outrageous for a 10YO white. Astonishing.

I have had many Blackett and S. Leonardo as well. They are great too, but for me not in this league.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

2000 Graham's VP. Still somewhat young but starting to come around. Lots of dark black fruit. Good, but still evolving. It'll be much better in 5 years.