which are the biggest quintas?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

D Lapassion

which are the biggest quintas?

Post by D Lapassion »

Hello

Is it possible to know which are the biggest quintas (or estates) in terms of surface?

Thank you.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: which are the biggest quintas?

Post by Glenn E. »

I don't have a list handy, but I do know that there will be at least two different answers to your question.

1.) Largest total hectares
2.) Most hectares under vine

Some Quintas are quite large, but have relatively small vineyards.

That said, Carvalhas, Vale Meao, Vesuvio, and Vargellas are some of the largest that come to mind for me.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:40 am That said, Carvalhas, Vale Meao, Vesuvio, and Vargellas are some of the largest that come to mind for me.
Checking in Mayson's Port and the Douro (2004 revised edition), I find the following, which appear to be total size, not area under vines:
Carvalas - 600 hectares
Vale Meao - nearly 300 hectares
Vesuvio - 400 hectares
Vargellas - "although not the largest of its vineyards, is treated by Taylor as the flagship estate"

That last one led me to pull out the book Taylor Fladgate: The Story of a Classic Port House, but while it gives lots of history, I couldn't find sizes there. Google might be a better solution.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

This says that Vargellas is 76 hectares: https://www.winewisdom.com/articles/reg ... eneration/
I don't know if that includes São Xisto. The first time I read that, I thought it meant total size, but upon a re-read, it might be vineyards. Kobrand says it is 255 hectares total size.

Oh, and Mayson was doing some generous rounding. I came across this from the Vesúvio website, "Vesúvio has a total area of 326 hectares (806 acres), of which 133 hectares (329 acres) are planted with vines."
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

According to this article, which is quite recent, we have the list of the 10 largest quintas from the Douro.
On the other hand, we do not know the area of ​​each quinta but with a quick search I often see the Venzutelo quinta at around 400 hectares.

https://www.theroadbutler.com/top-ten-l ... vineyards/
D Lapassion

Post by D Lapassion »

Thank you all for your help; yes, I misstated my question, these are the largest quintas in vineyards...If you have any further information or links to find them, thank you. (Sorry for my syntax, but I'm using a translator )
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

LOUISSS J wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:18 pm According to this article, which is quite recent, we have the list of the 10 largest quintas from the Douro.
On the other hand, we do not know the area of ​​each quinta but with a quick search I often see the Venzutelo quinta at around 400 hectares.

https://www.theroadbutler.com/top-ten-l ... vineyards/
I saw that article also, but I don't trust it. The only place it refers to size is in the headline... after that it makes no mention and more importantly it doesn't actually give you the size of each quinta.
Glenn Elliott