What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Moses Botbol »

John M. wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:48 am 1980 Ferreira

Recently acquired it arrived as a leaker (known at auction it had leaked), so stood it up, wrapped top in plastic wrap and gave the bottle some time to settle. Late yesterday afternoon began the decanting process for a dinner party and when I removed the cap/foil there was no cork.....it had fallen into the bottle. Rare, but happens. The wine was ruined---drinkable but not very pleasurable. It was ultimately discarded and back to the cellar and grabbed a Pacheca 20 Year Tawny instead---a tried and true friend.
Not so rare with Ferreira.

My case of '80 Ferreira was imported and stored upright. I kept it upright when I bought case. A lot of bottle variation, but at its best it's one of best of the vintage.

I am a big fan of Ferreira ports of all styles. [cheers.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
John M.

Post by John M. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:49 am
I am a big fan of Ferreira ports of all styles. [cheers.gif]
Me too. So elegant and easy.
Any Port in a storm!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

1991 Warre VP. Initial pop and pour was a bit medicinal. Wife thought it tasted like Dimetapp, but I was a bit more complimentary. We'll see how it evolves tonight. [shrug.gif]
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1985 Quinta Do Crasto VP. 10 hour decant. A light ruby collar. It's a very nice, easy-drinker.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:1985 Quinta Do Crasto VP. 10 hour decant. A light ruby collar. It's a very nice, easy-drinker.
I’ve not had this for a very long time so it’s good to get a recent take on it. It confirms my last taste of it. I should pull my remaining bottles and consume in the near term. Thanks!!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Ramos-Pinto 30 year old. I found this to be a quite nice 30 year old. I've had this wine quite a few times, but this particular bottle was exceptionally smooth and the secondary notes just sang!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Marc J. wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:59 pm Ramos-Pinto 30 year old. I found this to be a quite nice 30 year old. I've had this wine quite a few times, but this particular bottle was exceptionally smooth and the secondary notes just sang!
In my opinion that has always been one of the nicer 30 Year Olds. Glad yours was singing!
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Marc J. wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:59 pm Ramos-Pinto 30 year old. I found this to be a quite nice 30 year old. I've had this wine quite a few times, but this particular bottle was exceptionally smooth and the secondary notes just sang!
I have a couple of these in my basement (now in temporary storage as I'm in the process of moving). I've been curious how they are. Thanks for your POV.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Sandeman 34

Re-corked by me on 15th July 2008 after it started leaking. Previously had a mid shoulder level. I corrected the level with 10mm glass marbles before inserting the new cork, something I don't do anymore.

One of the joys of using a computer to choose my next bottle is that it sometimes treats me, and removes the guilt of popping an oldie.

Excellent colour still, slighty oxidised as expected. Typically Sandeman and beginning to soften a little, but a good specimen will sail past it's centenery without issue. Score 8-7
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

Quinta do Crasto Finest Reserve with some fondue.

An excellent reserve, great balance and QPR here. Raspberry jam, bit on the sweeter side in what seems to be Crasto's recent style. I would give it top marks if it was not a little too hot/spirity. This might be my number 2 ranked reserve now, but I would cellar it for 2 years.
All is fair in love and Warre's
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Delaforce 2003 VP.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:03 am Delaforce 2003 VP.
How is that? I have a few bottles.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Mike J. W. wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:46 am
Moses Botbol wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:03 am Delaforce 2003 VP.
How is that? I have a few bottles.
Seemed decent, had one glass on a pop and pour last night. Ripe and figs. Smooth spirit to it. I'll get more into it tonight.
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Portal 20 Year old Tawny - soft and smooth, but on palate the sugar overpowered other tastes, so not as interesting/tasty as I had hoped.
Cruz 10 Year old Tawny - Strong alcohol burn right after opening, needs to sit for some days to lose the burn a bit. Decent, but there are a lot of better 10 years olds.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

1964 Dow Reserva, unknown bottling date

This is a Colheita and is usually pretty pedestrian. But for some reason this one was quite nice, probably worthy of 92-ish points. I took it to a Spanish tapas restaurant for my birthday and its slightly drier style paired nicely with the food.
Glenn Elliott
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Recent quaffs..

Vargellas '82 - light wine but a lovely bright colour in the glass - probably peak time for drinking now, 6-5

Pocas '70 - nice enough juice but a little over the hill, 3-2. Oporto bottled, the bottles are strangely lightweight. The glass was marked 70cL, but checking the capacity after decanting I found that 70cl filled the bottle to the very top, leaving no room for the cork - hmm..

Crasto '93 LBV - great juice, you really wouldn't believe the vintage if tasted blind..
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Quevedo 10 yr tawny. Quite lovely for a young tawny. More Portuguese styled.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

2008 DR white colheita.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

NV Quevedo 20 year old 375ml from a connoisseur pack that I picked up last year.
Glenn Elliott
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Nothing like rushing through a stash..

..am about to decant the second of five bottles of Ervamoira '94

Bottle #1 was decanted 29th April 2008