Vintage - cork & label different years

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Scott Esterly

Vintage - cork & label different years

Post by Scott Esterly »

Maybe this is a dumb question, but is it common for the cork to have a different vintage than the label?

1992 Quinta do Infantado (it also says “estate bottled”)
Also interesting is that it’s a numbered bottle, Bottle 0944 of 16,250
IMG_1992.jpeg
IMG_1992.jpeg (473.91 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Vintage - cork & label different years

Post by Andy Velebil »

Common, no. Does it happen once in a great while, yes.

Common causes: accidental, ran out of current supply and used what was on hand, cork supplier made a mistake and too late to correct it, sample bottle (used what they had on hand)…
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

So which one is right? '91 or '92?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

How's the '92 Infantado, Scott? I have a few bottles but have never tried that year from Infantado.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:08 am So which one is right? '91 or '92?
Almost certainly the label. They might run out of corks and use one that's technically for a different product because the cork isn't visible, but I seriously doubt that they'd intentionally use the wrong label.

(An old-style label, but for the same Port? Sure. But never a wrong label.)
Glenn Elliott
Scott Esterly

Post by Scott Esterly »

Mike J. W. wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:21 am How's the '92 Infantado, Scott? I have a few bottles but have never tried that year from Infantado.
It's a very interesting port. I liked it a lot, would probably score it 90 or maybe even 91. The main reason I wouldn't score it any higher is because it lacks complexity. For instance, the only other 1992 vintage I've had was the Fonseca, which was robust with complexity. I'm not experienced enough to know whether or not the 92 Infantado will improve with more cellaring, but my hunch is that it might (I'm also wondering what this might've tasted like 5-10 years ago). The most striking thing about it, for me, was the color. It practically looked like a tawny. I even detected some raisin notes along with the predominantly creamy & cherry flavor as I drank it over two nights. (It tasted better the first night).

I came across one tasting note on Cellar Tracker that said it was drinking great right after pulling the cork. That wasn't my experience. After about 5 hours of decanting it was much better.

The bottom line for me is that the 92 Infantado is a pleasant drinker. It didn't knock my socks off, but I'll likely buy another bottle or two of it should I come across them in the future.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Scott Esterly wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:08 am
Mike J. W. wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:21 am How's the '92 Infantado, Scott? I have a few bottles but have never tried that year from Infantado.
It's a very interesting port. I liked it a lot, would probably score it 90 or maybe even 91. The main reason I wouldn't score it any higher is because it lacks complexity. For instance, the only other 1992 vintage I've had was the Fonseca, which was robust with complexity. I'm not experienced enough to know whether or not the 92 Infantado will improve with more cellaring, but my hunch is that it might (I'm also wondering what this might've tasted like 5-10 years ago). The most striking thing about it, for me, was the color. It practically looked like a tawny. I even detected some raisin notes along with the predominantly creamy & cherry flavor as I drank it over two nights. (It tasted better the first night).

I came across one tasting note on Cellar Tracker that said it was drinking great right after pulling the cork. That wasn't my experience. After about 5 hours of decanting it was much better.

The bottom line for me is that the 92 Infantado is a pleasant drinker. It didn't knock my socks off, but I'll likely buy another bottle or two of it should I come across them in the future.
Thanks Scott. It sounds like a decent Port. I'll have to try one soon.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes