What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Eric Menchen »

A.S. Demka wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:14 am This morning I heard from another source the reason for the sale of Mourao. Apparently it was owned by Miguel, his brother (father of Rita) and his sister. The latter wanted to get out, and this forced the sale.
Sad, but things like this happen regularly. It will be interesting to see what Miguel does next, but those great stocks are not easily replaced.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Eric Menchen wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:34 am
A.S. Demka wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:14 am This morning I heard from another source the reason for the sale of Mourao. Apparently it was owned by Miguel, his brother (father of Rita) and his sister. The latter wanted to get out, and this forced the sale.
Sad, but things like this happen regularly. It will be interesting to see what Miguel does next, but those great stocks are not easily replaced.
I would imagine Miguel probably has some type of non-compete clause in the agreement of sale. Typically they're 2 years (sometimes more). If that's the case, he may have to lay low for a few years. If the buyers didn't insist on that (which would be surprising), he could be back in business quickly.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

The question that I haven't seen answered yet is whether or not the sale encompassed all 5 quintas. I would assume so, but you never know. "Quinta do Mourao" was just one of five, though it was the namesake of the company. As I understand things, Quinta da Poisa (across the Douro from DOC) is where most of the white grapes were grown.
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Back on topic, (but the diversion was really, really interesting), this week I’ve opened a handful of bottles for some really special dinners. A bottle of Nacional 1983 to be shared with a specific couple of friends in their 40th years, a Croft 1945 and a Noval 1934 - all great wines shared with some great friends. As the best bottles should be.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

1964 Casa do Douro Colheita, bottled 2003
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

A lovely 1992 Dow’s Quinta do Bomfim VP
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:1964 Casa do Douro Colheita, bottled 2003
And how’s it holding up?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:1964 Casa do Douro Colheita, bottled 2003
And how’s it holding up?
It needs some air to show its best. I find it great by itself, but that it doesn't stand up well in a tasting. There are some minor bitter/astringent notes that you don't really notice if it's the only Port you're drinking, but which are pretty obvious in a lineup.

This bottle is probably 91-92 points?
Glenn Elliott
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

2010 Dow's Quinta do Bomfim. I planned to decant it for 4-6 hours but I liked it so much I drank half the bottle during the first few hours of decanting.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

A friend served a white port blind to finish a tasting this weekend.

It happened to be a 2003 Kopke White Colheita. Slight bit of dark sediment spots in it and quite developed in color towards orange. Tasty though. But it was clear that it had been stored non cooled for the last 5-6 years. The bottles I have from the same batch are far more pale in color.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Martin H wrote:2010 Dow's Quinta do Bomfim. I planned to decant it for 4-6 hours but I liked it so much I drank half the bottle during the first few hours of decanting.
The hard part of decanting…keeping your hands off it. Lol.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

S. Leonardo 20 y.o. Tawny. It looks more like a 30y.o. tawny, burnt orange/light brown. Nice and smooth.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

1977 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

I think this might be the first time I've had this from a 750ml bottle? I've been extremely lucky to have had it from magnum at least 4-5 times, and it always blows me away. This bottle wasn't quite at that level, but if it is indicative of where the magnums might be going then they have an easy 20-30 years left.

Purely by random chance, we ended up with 4 x 1977 Ports (plus one in reserve) at this past weekend's Sammamish Port Club. Taylor, Warre, Graham, and my Gould Campbell. And just looking at that list you'd probably never guess it, but the Taylor came in last.
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

1970 Gonzales Byass VP and 1985 Ferreira VP. Family in town. They were digging both.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Warres Otima 20, for the Oct/Nov Virtual Tasting.
TN here.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Last night was 1985 Taylor. Amazed how dark and primary looking the port is. Barely any sediment cork is still youthful. The port is a closed phase. Similar to how 1985 Fonseca has been showing recently. This port looks to be a long time hold.
John M.

Post by John M. »

San Leonardo 30 Year White Port.

Lucious caramel abounds. Really super. Brought it to a restaurant (asked before hand) and shared two glasses, one for each of the owners. One tends the bar. After dinner ended up in the bar, he wanted to see the bottle to see exactly what it was. A couple minutes later he comped us Sandeman 20 Year Tawny. Pretty sweet.

I would give the San Leonardo 96 points - it was that good.
Any Port in a storm!
John M.

Post by John M. »

Last night took a 1994 Warres to a dinner party. A big hit, still a ton of fruit. I do think it could stand another 10 years to be even better but pretty darn good now.
Any Port in a storm!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

The 85 Taylor was terrific on nights 2 and 3. I mentioned opening one to a friend that hadn't tried one in a while. He opened one too with similar results. No rush to consume this vintage.
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

Finally got around to trying the 2011 Pocas LBV, as praised by MikeJW.

It it is in fact very good and has the kind of raspberry character that I like, its very clean, medium body, ideal sweetness and acidity.
Tannins are well rounded, my only quibble is that it does have a too much kick, especially on opening.

Not sure if aging will mellow the spiritiness of it enough, but this is one I'd buy again.
All is fair in love and Warre's