October/November 2023 Warres Otima 20 Year

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

October/November 2023 Warres Otima 20 Year

Post by John M. »

There was a discussion in one of my notes from a tasting on the Warres Otima 20 Year Old and a few wondered if worth retrying given its history. So I thought I'd open up the Virtual Tasting Room to it. If Otima 20 is not your bag in tawnies, please taste something else---more participation makes for a better thing!
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: October/November 2023 Warres Otima 20 Year

Post by Glenn E. »

Great idea, John!

If I can't get ahold of an Otima 20, I'll open my last Dona Antonia (Ferreira). Those are the ones that used to be called Duque de Bragança.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Good idea. Let me see if I can find an Otima.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I like the Otima 20 but all of my Port and Wine is in storage until late October / early November as I'm waiting on my new house to be finished.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

My local b&m didn't have the 20, just the 10. But a little searching revealed I could still find a bottle in town. Purchased it a week or so ago, opened it last night. I'll just post the link to my TN for now until we can have some discussion. Hopefully some others join in.
viewtopic.php?t=45537
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I don’t have a Warre Otima 20YO in the cellar. I’ll see if I can get hold of one. If not, I’ll open a different 20YO.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

After making various enquiries it turns out that the Warre Otima 20 Year Old is not marketed in the UK. The only way I could get a bottle is to buy it from a Portuguese online retailer and have them ship it to me - which would cost around £25 in service fees and another £8 in taxes.

I'll have a look and see what other 20YO tawnies I have in the cellar.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Al B. wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:56 am After making various enquiries it turns out that the Warre Otima 20 Year Old is not marketed in the UK. ...
I'll have a look and see what other 20YO tawnies I have in the cellar.
I look forward to any note Al.

The marketing of Otima does seem a bit disjoint. I was able to find it, but one store just had the 10, another only the 20 ... This might be more common than I realize at b&m retail, but I'm used to seeing full line-ups when visiting producers and at online stores.
Last edited by Eric Menchen on Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

While I was in Gaia recently I swung by the Cockburn's Lodge for a tasting. As luck would have it, and knowing this virtual tasting was going on, I got to try a glass of the Otima 20. Not a detailed note, as it was just a tasting sample, but...

Lovely marmalade with a dusty bit streaking across the tongue. Medium bodied that was not too sweet. Full of maple, honey and citrus notes that were balanced by bright acidy. A seamless transition to the long finish rounded out this lovely 20 year old tawny. I've not had this is a very long time and from what I recall this has significantly improved since then. 92 points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Since I couldn’t get hold of a bottle of the Otima 20yo in the UK so I’ve gone for something which we don’t see very often — Quinta da Corte 20YO Tawny, bottled 2022. Warm brick red in colour, 60% opaque. Warm strawberry jam on the nose, like jam tarts cooling from the oven. Sweet strawberry syrup on the palate, lemon and a dusting of tannins. Lovely complex aftertaste, strawberry jam, lemon and lime. Long lemon and jam finish. Sweet, fat and round. Rather an impressive 20YO Tawny. 91/100. Tasted 22-Nov-2023. Decanted 1 hour.