1853 Whitwham Porto Millennium- Reserve King Pedro V

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Stewart T.

1853 Whitwham Porto Millennium- Reserve King Pedro V

Post by Stewart T. »

• 1853 Whitwham Porto Millennium- Reserve King Pedro V - Portugal, Douro, Porto
    This is a while that has a bit of controversy in its history. I've heard several stories regarding this wine, and as best as I can piece together (nothing has been verified), this is supposedly a Niepoort Colheita bottled in 2001, but I have also heard that this wasn't actually a Niepoort wine, just that Niepoort did the bottling. Dark amber-purple in color. Great nose of old dark fruit with maple and old dusty wood on the nose. Rich butterscotch and orange spice on the palate, with exceptional balance and stunning intensity. Wow! Great complexity and a very long finish. (95 pts.) (4/29/2023)
This tasting note is one of several related tasting notes. Click [here] to see the original note in context.

Stewart T. (Admin) admin@fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: 1853 Whitwham Porto Millennium- Reserve King Pedro V

Post by Moses Botbol »

I have a handful of these. I believe they were just bottled by Niepoort. Haven't tried one in over a decade.

Saving for port fans should they ever come by. [shrug.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Stewart T.

Post by Stewart T. »

I also hear they travel well, and show well in the cool, moist climate of the Pacific Northwest :D
Stewart T. (Admin) admin@fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Depsite the rumors, this was a collaboration of Cristiano Van Zeller and DIrk NIepoort. Cristiano has/had been buying old casks in the Douro for many years, long before old tawny's were fashonable and expensive. This was one of those casks. He partnered with Dirk, who did freshen it up with a tiny bit of an older Niepoort Port. It was not entirely a Niepoort Colheita. There were IVDP issues getting it released. Early bottles did not have the year on them. Later bottles they added a year sticker to the bottom front of the bottle.

This Port came from the Cavaleiro family stocks in the upper Douro. At the time, there was just over one cask of it left.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:05 amThis Port came from the Cavaleiro family stocks in the upper Douro. At the time, there was just over one cask of it left.
The last one I tried, you were there for. How ever long ago that was.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:12 am
Andy Velebil wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:05 amThis Port came from the Cavaleiro family stocks in the upper Douro. At the time, there was just over one cask of it left.
The last one I tried, you were there for. How ever long ago that was.
Too long!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com