Taylor buying Quinta do Portal

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Rune EG

Taylor buying Quinta do Portal

Post by Rune EG »

Taylor has purchased a bigger part of Quinta do Portal, while the present owners will keep a smaller part.
Taylor is stating that they will concentrate more on DOC-wines than before. Untill a few years ago Taylor
concentrated only on port wines (and hotels + WOW), but these news and previous deals are showing that
also Taylor is involving themselves in the DOC-market. Like so many others have done years ago.
Moses Botbol

Re: Taylor buying Quinta do Portal

Post by Moses Botbol »

Will they continue the Portal name for the dry wines? Perhaps they can get Portal into more wine markets? It's barely sold in my locale.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, I received a call on Sunday letting me know of this big news. All 53 hectares, and all. But while it was not official until last night, when the final pieces of the negotiations were signed off on. There is a Frenchman who is the consulting oenologist for Portal, provides insight for Paulo Coutinho, I believe he has also been working on table wines for Adrian Bridge since he purchased Ideal Wines, with properties in at least 3 distinct PT wine regions.

As for what label the Portal wines will be bottled under, it is far too early to tell. Will they keep Paulo on board, at least for the short term? Likely. I am hoping that the great Portal Exec. Chef Milton Ferreira, will remain on board. He has been there for about 15 years at this point.

More details to come in due course.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Rune EG wrote:Taylor has purchased a bigger part of Quinta do Portal, while the present owners will keep a smaller part.
Taylor is stating that they will concentrate more on DOC-wines than before. Untill a few years ago Taylor
concentrated only on port wines (and hotels + WOW), but these news and previous deals are showing that
also Taylor is involving themselves in the DOC-market. Like so many others have done years ago.
Better late than never.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yeah, but we've all heard him say (for decades) "We will NEVER produce table wines."

Never say never. :scholar:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Yeah, but we've all heard him say (for decades) "We will NEVER produce table wines."

Never say never. :scholar:
When money talks…
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I'm assuming he means the label. That way he doesn't have to backtrack.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Eric Ifune wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:42 pm I'm assuming he means the label. That way he doesn't have to backtrack.
I see your point, but would hope they would admit to a mistake before making that claim. O.k., there is never a "2030 Taylor Touriga Nacional Douro Red," but there is TFP owned "2030 Quinta do Portal Douro Red ..."
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:11 am
Eric Ifune wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:42 pm I'm assuming he means the label. That way he doesn't have to backtrack.
I see your point, but would hope they would admit to a mistake before making that claim. O.k., there is never a "2030 Taylor Touriga Nacional Douro Red," but there is TFP owned "2030 Quinta do Portal Douro Red ..."
Didn't they also just recently buy some other estate in the Douro that's known for its Douro wines?

I think the backtracking ship has already sailed...
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:09 am I think the backtracking ship has already sailed...
:lol:
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Taylor's just keep on making acquisitions!

I don't remember if it was reported here, but also earlier this year they acquired the distributing and wine education company Direct Wines in Porto.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Thanks for that link Andy.
Commenting that “the vineyards have the potential to be mechanised in the future,” he also said that Fladgate would “modernise the winery over the next few years”, and use this updated facility to make both wines and Port from the Vale de Mendiz vineyards – new and existing.
Modernize Portal? I can understand the vineyards. But that winery was pretty advanced when I saw it. We went up on the skyways and Paulo used an app on his phone to turn on the recirculation on a fermenter so we could get samples.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:Thanks for that link Andy.
Commenting that “the vineyards have the potential to be mechanised in the future,” he also said that Fladgate would “modernise the winery over the next few years”, and use this updated facility to make both wines and Port from the Vale de Mendiz vineyards – new and existing.
Modernize Portal? I can understand the vineyards. But that winery was pretty advanced when I saw it. We went up on the skyways and Paulo used an app on his phone to turn on the recirculation on a fermenter so we could get samples.
I would assume that means altering for larger production of table wines. Let’s be honest, mass produced “commodity” wines are what pay the bills. Not small production more expensive specialty wines.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:50 pm I would assume that means altering for larger production of table wines. Let’s be honest, mass produced “commodity” wines are what pay the bills. Not small production more expensive specialty wines.
That winery is also already set up for that. They don't load grapes from the little picking bins like I've seen at most wineries. The grapes come in in large bins, 1m x 1+m x 1+m, and the forklift forks do a 180 flip to dump them ... It is already a major operation, and a pretty large facility.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Actually, I was off on one of the dimensions because the forklift does two bins at a time.
portal_1.jpg
portal_1.jpg (181.29 KiB) Viewed 299 times
portal_2.jpg
portal_2.jpg (174.35 KiB) Viewed 299 times
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I’d say they sold the whole thing based on this Facebook post

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Eric,

Good photos. Yes, I agree with you that Portal remains one of the most modern facilities in Douro, along with Napoles of Niepoort fame. But while equipment at Portal is way more modern than the vast majority of the Douro producers, the layout offers lots of flexibility ... the design was brilliant and the equipment top of the line, when installed. The vineyards are various, some old vines do exist, others vinha ao alto, and others yet with both patamares (primarily) and some socalcos. But they also have vineyards near Alijo (Favaios), with Moscatel plantings, which Paulo is very fond of. But TFP will likely need to invest, as EU funds only come in to play, when that takes place in Douro properties. And Adrian is a brilliant strategist and worked in the banking sector in UK. His views on triage, have nothing to do with the tables where the sorting takes place. :D

We can be sure to see the hotel modernized, as the rooms are comfy, but can use serious upgrades to the beds, bathrooms and aesthetics. The bones are still great and I can see this being a TOP boutique hotel in the next few years, for sure! It is a great size property to do that, already has a pool, which is required ... to earn a 5th star someday. I just hope they leave Milton Ferreira in their kitchen! :scholar: :scholar: We often times use Portal for meals during tours, as many of you know. And we've been there so many times, I believe that there are more casks in their cellar with FTLOP signatures with our guests too, than any other company. I do not expect those will remain in place, who knows. Paulo and Pedro made sure to always keep them around.

The Portal table wines are fantastic and reasonably priced, which likely is going to change under new ownership. I would imagine with their own distribution channels, these wines will become better known in the USA in the near term. I do not agree that they will become a harbinger for producing mass market wines. I am not saying it is impossible, but given the properties Adrian has acquired in the past 18 months, I can't believe that will be his approach. [cheers.gif]
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Roy Hersh wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:50 am We can be sure to see the hotel modernized, as the rooms are comfy, but can use serious upgrades to the beds, bathrooms and aesthetics. The bones are still great and I can see this being a TOP boutique hotel in the next few years, for sure!
Yes, I definitely see a good possibility of this happening.