What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have come up with a few bottles recently, while buying a BUNCH of cases of older table wines from various regions here in PT. As for Ports, I grabbed a few 2015 Graham's Crusted Port, plus the Graham's 2011 Single Harvest Tawny. I also unearthed on bottle of 1963 Sandeman and look forward to finding the right moment to pop the cork. I may open this in George Sandeman's presence, not sure yet. We have dinner plans coming up soon, so it could be a fine treat for after dinner. The only other Port that I have purchased recently was a magnum of 1970 Niepoort Vintage Port. The fill level looks great too.

While not quite the same, I did find some older bottles from Carcavellos. 1991 and 1995.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I stumbled upon a 1924 Graham at auction and was able to secure it. It wasn't cheap, but it also wasn't expensive for a 100-year old bottle of Port!

Of course this now means that I need a 1935 and a 1927 to fill in the gap in my vertical. :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Glenn E. wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:54 pm I stumbled upon a 1924 Graham at auction and was able to secure it. It wasn't cheap, but it also wasn't expensive for a 100-year old bottle of Port!

Of course this now means that I need a 1935 and a 1927 to fill in the gap in my vertical. :lol:
I saw that Graham's and was debating on whether to bid on it or not, ultimately, I did not. At least it went to a good home.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1987 Offley Barao de Forester Colheita (bottled 2001)
1995 Churchill Quinta Da Agua Alta SQVP
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

At Winefield's auction this weekend:
- 1x Andresen Colheita Port 1910, bottled in 1979
- 1x Fonseca Vintage Port 1948 (Grants of St. James Wine Library bottling)
- 1x Kopke Colheita Port 1976, bottled in 2018
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I try not to buy a lot these days, but I couldn’t resist 48 half bottles of 2007 Vintage Port @ £12 per half.

12 each of Dow, Warre, Gould Campbell and Smith Woodhouse.

I really like having a decent selection of halves at home for everyday drinking. These will be perfect once my 1994 / 1997 / 2000 / 2003 halves have been drunk.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Like Alex,

I don't purchase many bottles of Port anymore. But in addition to a couple of Van Zeller 20 and 30 year old Tawnies two weeks ago, I found a stellar bottle owned by a friend in Porto, selling off some of his oldest wines and he gave me a good deal on a pristine 1955 Sandeman. Anyway, I look forward to having this bottle sometime next year when it turns 70.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

Al B. wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:13 pm I try not to buy a lot these days, but I couldn’t resist 48 half bottles of 2007 Vintage Port @ £12 per half.

12 each of Dow, Warre, Gould Campbell and Smith Woodhouse.

I really like having a decent selection of halves at home for everyday drinking. These will be perfect once my 1994 / 1997 / 2000 / 2003 halves have been drunk.
that is a great score! [cheers.gif]
Scott Esterly

Post by Scott Esterly »

2011 Fonseca VP
2000 Taylor's VP
1997 Dow's VP

(One bottle each, all are 750ml).
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Scott Esterly wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:58 pm 2011 Fonseca VP
2000 Taylor's VP
1997 Dow's VP

(One bottle each, all are 750ml).
Top selection mate.

The Dow's 97 is dang tasty already. Having trouble keeping my hands of the 4-5 that I own. [kez_11.gif]
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 x 1984 Fonseca LBV
1 x 1985 Fonseca VP (snagged it for $55 at auction)
1 x Ferreira Duque de Braganca 20 y.o. Tawny