1993 birthyear

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

dave leach
Location: watchung, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

1993 birthyear

Post by dave leach »

i know that there`was a recent post where someone, i think it may have been from derek, who indicated he'd gotten a case of unidentified 1993 vintage port for his son's birthyear. i can't seem to find it anywhere, so can whoever found a 1993 vp for their son/daughter pass along that info, maybe where they got it? i appreciate it. i've got my daughter covered with several bottles from 1995, including vesuvio, noval, and a guiamarans, but i've never even seen a mention of a 93, except here.
whoever it was, can i get the producer, and where/how you got it? many thanks.

dave
Robin L.

Post by Robin L. »

Dave,
I've never seen a VP 1993 and I think it simply does not exist. It was a desastrous year and even a SQV has not been released to my knowledge.
Robin Levesque
Robin L.

Post by Robin L. »

Well, correction, if Derek talked about a 93, there is probably some because he would never talked about these poor imitation made by Australia and Canada but I have strictly no clue...
Robin Levesque
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

There was a tread a few months ago on this forum relating this declaration. There were not many, but there are some.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
dave leach
Location: watchung, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

1993 birthyear

Post by dave leach »

andy, thanks for finding that thread. i guess i'll go on a search and destroy mission for the quinta das liceiras 1993. even though it seems nobody enjoyed it, i still have this thing in my head that i want to give each of my children a nice(?) bottle of birthyear port, as a symbolic gesture. one of the beautiful things about this passion we all share is how i want to pass it along to my kids, my friends, and business aquaintances.

any other info on lbvs from that year would be greatly appreciated.

was the weather just that horrendous that year?
John Owlett

1993 birthyear

Post by John Owlett »

According to the sixth edition of Robert Parker's Wine Buyer's Guide, a Graham Malvedos vintage was produced in 1993.

Later,

Dr Owl

----------------------------
John Owlett, Southampton, UK

Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

I don't think Graham's produced a Malvedos in 1993. As far as I know the Quinta das Liceiras is the only one. I've one bottle that I don't plan to open, ever.
Around here the Liceiras is available for around €20.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Dave,

It was I who posted recently about the Quinta das Liceiras 1993. I have 1 750ml bottle which I purchased from Germany 3 years ago and 1 case of 375ml's which will be given to my son when he is old and wise enough to know what to do with it. The single bottle I plan to open on his 18th Birthday.

I know that Vinologia had some of these for sale last year - look for the owner Gustavo Devesas on the Memberlist here and send him an e-mail or PM.

Best of luck

Derek