What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Mike J. W. »

Quinta Vale D. Maria 20 y.o. Tawny. More savory than sweet, but very nice.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

'63 Sandeman for tonight.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

DR 2010 white colheita, ideal cold aperitif on one of the first warm summer days in The Netherlands. Lots of toffee, slightly more acidity than DR’s 2008 (finished my last bottle last month😢)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Opened a stellar bottle of 1955 Sandeman Vintage Port at the Confraria dinner gala.

The following night: 2003 Confraria do Vinho do Porto Vintage Port. Showing well and ready to start drinking.

Pocas Bonificador Tawny Port was opened and enjoyed during the fireworks of S. Joao with a bunch of other FTLOP friends and staff members.

1964 Taylor's Single Harvest Tawny Port with Stewart and Jody. My 2nd bottle opened of this in 2024, in fact one was opened in May and this one in June. The first one was showing less power and intensity and likely because it was up against a great lineup, including the 60 S. Leonardo that followed. This was served for a dinner in Gaia with Stewart and Jody, and it was completely a horse of another color. Both Stewart and I had identical scores of 95. It was showing beautifully. This and the 1967 were two of my faves in this line of old Krohn's bottled under the name Taylor's.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Opened a stellar bottle of 1955 Sandeman Vintage Port at the Confraria dinner gala.

The following night: 2003 Confraria do Vinho do Porto Vintage Port. Showing well and ready to start drinking.

Pocas Bonificador Tawny Port was opened and enjoyed during the fireworks of S. Joao with a bunch of other FTLOP friends and staff members.

1964 Taylor's Single Harvest Tawny Port with Stewart and Jody. My 2nd bottle opened of this in 2024, in fact one was opened in May and this one in June. The first one was showing less power and intensity and likely because it was up against a great lineup, including the 60 S. Leonardo that followed. This was served for a dinner in Gaia with Stewart and Jody, and it was completely a horse of another color. Both Stewart and I had identical scores of 95. It was showing beautifully. This and the 1967 were two of my faves in this line of old Krohn's bottled under the name Taylor's.
If I had to pick one that was a complete surprise…the 2003 Confraria VP. After some other vintages in the past that were lackluster, I didn’t expect it to be that good.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1997 Quinta do Vesuvio. Nice, but the alcohol isn't fully integrated yet and it's masking some of the fruit.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

1987 Kopke Colheita 375ml (b. 2013)

Opened yesterday to celebrate our 37th Anniversary. This was the first bottle from the second case of these that I bought back when Kopke's importer was in Seattle. They're starting to show signs of having been in bottle too long, but are still wonderful for us to share once a year.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Quevedo 40 year old.
Monte Xisto White Seco for Port tonics. Needed here in the Las Vegas heat.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Taylor 2015 LBV for our elections on July 4 last week. The theme was to open a Port from a previous election year.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

2011 Dow LBV. Became thin after 4 days in the decanter. Was hoping for better. Amazing amount of sediment when first decanted.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Barao de Vilar 10 year-old White (bottled 2021) served slightly chilled. It's a beautiful 10 year-old white. One of the best 10 year-old whites in my opinion, but difficult to find these days. On average about $17 a bottle for a 500 ml bottle. I have 3 or 4 bottles remaining.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andy wrote:
If I had to pick one that was a complete surprise…the 2003 Confraria VP. After some other vintages in the past that were lackluster, I didn’t expect it to be that good.
It was showing really well for sure, and at 21 was not just approachable but a worth bottle for sure! As it was my year of induction, some years ago ... I purchased a six pack and this was the first one I've opened and for a great night no less. Thanks again for hosting the stellar S. Joao fest event, Andy!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

2000 Magalhaes VP. I'll have a glass tonight after it's been in the decanter for about 10 hours, but as usual, I had a small sample glass to ensure it wasn't corked / VA riddled. First taste test is promising. Long, longgggggg gentle tannins aftertaste.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I had that 2000 for the first time, shortly after it was released and while staying at their property, the first of three times. That VP was by far the best they had produced at that point and it was a stand alone excellent Port. The others were all good, but nothing was exceptional, (93 pts. IIRC) at that point in time and I tasted every Port and DOC wine produced since their inception. 10 hours is a bit more air time than I'd have given, but ok. I hope it shows beautifully for you!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

2005 Quinta do Crasto Colheita - the 3rd Colheita they've released. This one bottled a few months ago in 2024. The 1997 was a great success and 2003, was also very good. This was opened two days ago and it was certainly a welcome "break fast" in terms of cleaning my liver for a few weeks. Back in the saddle now in preparing my first steps back in the USA since 2022. Ready for the FTLOP Anniversary event and having a slew of Port. This 2005 is a beauty and very much on a par with the prior two Colheitas by Crasto, but seemingly slightly less RS. A definite buy once they begin to get it into external markets!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Roy Hersh wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 9:34 am I had that 2000 for the first time, shortly after it was released and while staying at their property, the first of three times. That VP was by far the best they had produced at that point and it was a stand alone excellent Port. The others were all good, but nothing was exceptional, (93 pts. IIRC) at that point in time and I tasted every Port and DOC wine produced since their inception. 10 hours is a bit more air time than I'd have given, but ok. I hope it shows beautifully for you!
The Magalhaes has shown very nicely. Could I have decanted for less time? [shrug.gif] IT's still not fully integrated, but it's almost there. Probably another few years for that, but it's drinking well now. It's a very nice Port and I know where I can get a few more bottles if I want.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

NV Bulas 30 Year Old White Port

Opened for Sammamish Port Club last weekend. I remember this being absolutely superb when we tasted it at the Quinta, but this bottle seemed a little flat. Hopefully just bottle variation!
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

Tonight meeting with a friend who is new to Port, but not wine. In a short time they have amassed some nice bottles of Port (active on auctions). We agreed to meet for dinner and they are bringing a 1983 Fonseca and I am opening a 1983 Smith Woodhouse. A tiny horizontal.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:Tonight meeting with a friend who is new to Port, but not wine. In a short time they have amassed some nice bottles of Port (active on auctions). We agreed to meet for dinner and they are bringing a 1983 Fonseca and I am opening a 1983 Smith Woodhouse. A tiny horizontal.
Please do report on how each shows. And raise a glass with him to welcome him to the wonderful world of port drinkers and how we’re very different than those “other” dry wine drinkers Image
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

San Leonardo 40 yo.