Conceito by Barbeito Lote 3 White Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

John M.

Conceito by Barbeito Lote 3 White Port

Post by John M. »

Found this in a nice shop in Massachusetts and I love White ports in the summer; never even heard of the brand but always curious took a chance despite a generous price tag for what appeared to be a Reserve port, yet bottled in 2017. ($31.99) The cork was dried out and I had to use a Durand (I was so intrigued, driven cork, bottling year but a Reserve---I resisted googling the wine just so my impressions would not be tainted. Still, the evidence was seemingly contradictory). The wine has a glowing light honey color and has good viscosity. Baked Barlett pear and a high-end butterscotch flavor predominates. A lingering finish that is occasionally dry yet always leaves a light honey note - the honey that is light golden, not the dark and dense ones. I and those I am sharing with it are rather blown away - this is really good. So easy to sip on a warm summer night. Drink slightly chilled in the summer if wanting it to be refreshing.

Two wine makers collaborated Rita Marques of Conceito and Richardo Freitas from Madiera wine Barbeito to make this wine (hope this info is correct).

93 Points
Attachments
back.jpg
back.jpg (777.54 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
front.jpg
front.jpg (956.21 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Conceito by Barbeito Lote 3 White Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Interesting, heard of the producer but never seen that bottle before. And yes, sounds a touch pricey. But glad it was very good.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I have heard of this before (though I cannot recall where), and if I'm reading the Portuguese correctly it is essentially a white VP.

The grapes are harvested early, foot trodden in granite lagars, and then bottled in the year following harvest.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I think this is the same. Info is hard to find on a quick search.

Field blend of about 10 different traditional grape varieties. Made from a special block of a very old, pre-phylloxera vineyard in a small granite plateau (600 m above sea level) in the parish of Freixo de Numão
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

John M. wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:54 am a generous price tag for what appeared to be a Reserve port, yet bottled in 2017. ($31.99)
It's not even a reserve, I think; it's "just" a basic White Port. Because that's the only way to release it, if it is what I think it is.

Technically it is legal to make and bottle White Vintage Port. But you'll never get it approved by the tasting panel because the only tasting profile that exists for VP is written for Ruby Port. So if you want to try making a White Vintage Port, which is what I think this is, you have to release it as a basic White Port.

Not a reserve - that would require more age in wood than this has.
Andy Velebil wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 7:28 pm Field blend of about 10 different traditional grape varieties. Made from a special block of a very old, pre-phylloxera vineyard in a small granite plateau (600 m above sea level) in the parish of Freixo de Numão
150 year old vines? And they're using them to make $32 Port?

I haz a doubt. :lol:

(It's probably the "Nacional problem" where what they really mean is ungrafted vines.)
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

A joint venture with Barbeito and Conceito with fruit from Conceito's vineyards. I tasted the Lote 2 a couple years ago. Decent for what it is, but agree, it's a tad expensive.