Video review of 3 Douro wines

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Video review of 3 Douro wines

Post by Andy Velebil »

A friend sent me this link. I've never seen this guy before, but it is a video blog from Wine Library. The guy is a little hyper, but reviews 3 douro wines. here is the link

http://tv.winelibrary.com/
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
dave leach
Location: watchung, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

video review of 3 douro wines

Post by dave leach »

hey andy,
i'm very familiar with the wine library as i buy a majority of my wine there, i go there at least 2 times a week. alittle history on them:

gary v., the gentleman in the video, is one of the most brilliant marketing minds in the wine business. he's taken a store that his father owned, and built it into a multi, multi million dollar business. i believe it is either the second or third largest online retailer of wine in the usa. he's passionate about all types of wine, and has built a very large, loyal customer base. his staff is well informed, knowledgeable, and helpful. the actual store is beautiful too.

they usually are way ahead of the wine critics when it comes to pushing new wines, smaller vineyards, different vintages etc.

their port selection is pretty good, it is better in the fall and winter. they have special ordered certain wines for me and their price has ALWAYS been fair and competitive. for instance, they specially purchased a case off 77 gould campbell and 83 gould campbell for me--i think the price was $79.00 for the 77 and $55.00 for the 83. both came in original wood cases, the bottles appeared in impeccable condition, and i've tried one from each--great stuff. i also purchased a case of 77 taylors port for around $144/bottle.

i've mentioned to roy that i think they would be a great partner for ftlop. i will arrange for roy to meet gary the next time he is in the nyc area. they have always been ahead of the curve when it comes to wines from portugal--all wines, not just port.

i'm sorry if i sound like a salesman, i think they are a great outfit, well run, with some of the best prices in the country. i wholely endorse them.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Dave,

Thanks for the info on them...I will have to keep my eye on their enventory.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I did listen to most of the videos from #1 to #100 as I thought it was very informative and Gary a sound taster. I think its video #8 or 9(around there) that he reviews a very good Douro wine : Quinta do Carolina 99.

But unfortunately, Gary made himself a "star" on webTV making it a show more than an infortive tasting session as it was on the start. I just can't listen to it anymore :cry: I bet it fits to a wider audience like it is now seing the improvement.

Anyway appart from that, I do like a lot the selection on this webiste and even if I order 1-2 per year there I do look with interest their daily newsletter.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company