Purchasing habits

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Purchasing habits

Post by Roy Hersh »

When you go to buy a young or old Port, regardless of style ... do you buy in case lots, 2, 4 or 6 bottle quantities, and why?

I am interested to learn what the folks here look to achieve when making their purchaes.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Most of my purchase are limited by my budget. Normally for bottle that I realy love I try to buy at least 2. Five years ago I was buying a lot of lonely bottle to try the style of as many houses as I could. Now I know much more what I like so I buy more but from the houses I like.

Also when I buy from off vintage I usually buy 1 bottle, but from declared vintrage 2-3 bottles are not unusual. I think that from the 2003 vintage I'll buy 3 of each, I'm making more money now compared to when I was a student 5 years ago.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
mwaters

Post by mwaters »

Budget plays a big part here. Idealy I would like to get 4 bottles. My reason for this is one to open immediately and 3 to go to the cellar.

I have a list of 10 VPs which are available in my area but i have yet to taste due to $ restrictions. responsibility sucks!

If there a few VPs widely availble that I'm interested in I'll buy one of each, taste them all then buy 3 of my top pick. This is fun for me as I can drink and compare them.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Fred,

Your strategy is sound and of course it helps to know exactly which houses are to your liking in terms of style.

MWaters,

Budget always comes into play, unless wealthy. So we make the best decisions we can. Honestly, I think you could post your list of 10 VPs in the Port Forum and ask for opinions on the wines you seek to purchase. All you need to offer is the name of the Port and the vintage. With the number of great palates already assembled so far this first week of the Forum, I think you will find some excellent advice on what to buy. Just my 2 cents.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com