June 2007 Virtual Tasting : Get a VP from 2001 +

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

June 2007 Virtual Tasting : Get a VP from 2001 +

Post by Frederick Blais »

Lets see how peeps on this forum do appreciate the young VP, so as suggested by many members, lets open a young VP. The theme is to open a VP no older than the 2001 Vintage.

I've just received my Noval and Vesuvio 2004 so I'll probably report on one of them.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Can we please exclude 2003 if at all possible?

The idea behind my original suggestion was to uncover hidden gems in the "off" years that will be ready for drinking sooner rather than later. I think enough has now been said about the greatness of the 2003's to let them sleep for a few years :wink:

Derek
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

Sounds good to me.

Jay
Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

Derek,

I hope you can forgive me but I opened up a 2003 VP. In my defense the store I purchased it at does not have any "off" vintages of VP. Also, in my opinion, it is not a major producer of VP although they make some mighty fine Colheita's.

2003 Kopke

On initial opening it shows significant spirit on the nose, palate, and finish. Under all the alcohol, the nose reveals some cinnamon and blueberries. The palate is medium weight, tannic, and nicely sweet.

I did not decant this so let it evolve in bottle over a few days. The next day the aguardente is less fierce. The palate reveals a melange of grape, plum, raisin, and dates. The nose is reticent but gives some cinnamon and blue / red fruits. The palate shows nice acidity, firm tannin, heat and a medium length fuity finish.

On the third day, everything is much improved. There is no perceptible heat on the nose or palate. Nice focusing acidity and the tannins are firm yet smooth. Nice sweet round mouth feel. Medium length finish that is nicely warm.

This is tough to score as it is so young. I'd give it a 90 today with lots of upside potential. I expect the alcohol will integrate and more complexity and depth will emerge in 10+ years.

This is my first experience with a Kopke Vintage Port and I wasn't disappointed. I'm considering picking up a few more bottles for mid term consumption while I wait for the "big boys" to age.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

:snooty: :Naughty: :wall:
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Well Derek, this plan of yours has got off to a Fizzer! :roll:
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Alan C. wrote:Well Derek, this plan of yours has got off to a Fizzer!
Alan, Derek, All,
You'll have to bear with me for my own contribution to this month's VT. I am on call this week and already (one night) it has been a complete gongshow. I only managed 2 hrs of sleep with all the problems experienced last night at work, so the Quinta do Roriz 2004 that is on Death Row awaiting its date with the executioner will be stayed until at the earliest, Monday (June 11) when I officially hand off this pager that has been buzzing a raw spot on my hip and can give the Roriz the due care it deserves.

(Unfortunately I am also guilty of opening up a 2003 this week as well - Alan, don't go crazy yet... one of the sixteen bottles I recently acquired of Offley Boa Vista. Another full case is available at silly-cheap prices but before I buy it, I thought it would be prudent to check to ensure that this is actually WORTH spending the money on when I already have a full case and a quarter... after all, why buy a case of bad CHEAP port when you can save that same money to put towards a case of GOOD not-so-cheap port! TN will be posted, just not here for this month's VT. More to come next week when the Roriz gets executed!)

Todd
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Can't find one to save my life, nothing... nada.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Frederick Blais

TN: Vesuvio 2004

Post by Frederick Blais »

I did open VEsuvio 2004 over the week-end(3 days).

Dark purple color as someone would expect it to be. The nose was showing flavours of extremely ripe crushed field berries, black cherries, dates too. Attractive but not charming. The palate is smooth, very sweet with low acidity, soft tannins and again ultra ripe flavours of dark fruits and some burnt flavours of dates, raisins and overripe plums. The finale is ok on chocolate, hot spices and overipe plums.

Overall this VP is drinking well in its youth but lacking the quality components that makes Vesuvio a great VP year after year. I was deceive, yes. 2004 was very hot and almost no rain fell that season and water reserve where down. It certainly shows that with this VP as it is the first time that I see one Vesuvio so ripe and overipe on the palate. I can't give more than 16,5? at the moment.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Calem 2002.

Decanted the previous evening.
It was Purple. Deep Purple. It smelt of blackcurrant mixed with an unpleasant stale alcohol.(I'm not trying to be funny Roy, thats all it was!)
It tasted unpleasant. Just about drinkable. It doesn't join the Fonseca 2000 as the only Port I couldn't drink.
Really trying to add a bit to this note, but its just brutal blackcurrant, or strong medicinal alcohol. Nothing inbetween, no mixture, no other sublteties. Its aftertaste was limited, with the alcohol overpowering the fruit.
I'm now as fed up trying to describe this as I was drinking it.
It would have probably got a slightly more sympathic offering if it hadn't been alongside a few of its Older Brothers in their prime,(Dow 77,etc) reminding me that this is hopeless.
Can we move onto July please. :)
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Must let you know....

I'd given up on this Calem, ad was thinking what I could cook with it, when I remembered how some of you had refered to drinking dodgey ones from the fridge.
So I gave it 24 houirs in a very cool fridge. And its nice!!! Amazing. Cant say I'll ever buy another, but its now a pleasant nightcap. :shock:

Alan
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I've got some of this in the fridge at home but will not get to it until Sunday - hopefully it will not have matured too much by then :lol:

Derek
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Alan!!! An honest to goodness TN from you! Way to go! We all knew you could do it! ;)

Too bad the product was so bad up front. Well, hopefully you'll buy at least one more bottle of that Calem and let it sit in your basement for 25 more years. Then we'll see what its really about!

In the mean time... where did I put that Roriz 2004 for June's VT??? :?

Todd
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Thanks Todd. I'm a man of my word. I just wont be giving it as freely next time! :wink:

Alan
Todd Pettinger

TN: Quinta de Roriz 2004

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Quinta de Roriz VP – 2004
Opened on Saturday afternoon, 13:00 hrs. Interesting to find a full plastic shrink wrapping underneath the foil cap. Guarantee strip ran over the plastic and under the foil. Not sure if any air would have been able to make it through in the unlikely event of a cork failure. Silver foil button under the plastic wrap, I assume made to simulate the lead that some producers used to or still use.

Unsurprisingly, decanted cleanly with no sediment. After washing the bottle out, a small amount came unstuck from the side of the bottle, but aside from this minuscule amount, the wine was clear.

Deep, dark purple, with a black center. Swirling a small amount in a glass shows thick, dark tears with a thin. Clear meniscus.

A bit of spirit present but the nose is dominated with dark cherry, ripe raspberry and huge amounts of black berry.

The palate yields some medium tannins alongside the huge cherry and blackberry. A touch of blueberries mixes in and although the alcohol is a tad noticeable, it certainly not as pervasive as the nose suggests. Medium bodied mouthfeel. Very good, even at this very early stage.

+2 hours
The alcohol seems to be integrating fairly nicely, although the palate and nose have changed very little. A touch of anise on the mid-palate and the ending is glorious – glowing warm but not unpleasantly hot. Very nice. One small sip leads to a watering mouth and a distinct desire to continue sipping.

+5 hours
So smooth, exquisitely silky tannins that support the port but do not overpower any of the solid fruit. Raspberries, blueberries and dark cherries are the most prevalent with a touch of licorice on the mid-palate and a slight bit of a spice note. A touch of jammy plums, usually something I do not like if it is too strong, in this case it is very smooth and supportive. The alcohol is integrated at this point.

+7 hours
A bit of raw green peppers appears on the palate. Aside from this new flavour, everything else is pretty much as described above. The black cherries would be the dominant palate at this point. The alcohol is still very well integrated. Sweet and sumptuous, this port appeals to me immensely and now that I have poured the first proper glass, I suspect the decanter will empty rapidly. I will try to keep some around for a tasting over the next 48, but no promises!

Edited to keep continuity:

+10 hours
No noteworthy changes except to the level in the decanter – this stuff is very good and drinking very well right now.

+12 hours
A post-midnight awakening by my two year old hearkened me to the decanter after a brief diaper change and rocking her back to sleep. Still extremely silky and smooth. Any spice that may have been present has disappeared. Plums are taking a back seat to the black cherries.

+21 hours
The fresh fruit explosions are beginning to dull out, but the silky smoothness is still there. Tears are still flowing a solid purple that stain the sides of the glass. The spirit is still completely integrated.

+25 hours
The plumy seems to have come forward on the palate, dominating the richer flavours of the dark cherries. This gives the impression that the port is losing steam and is dulling out. Anise and cassis on the mid-palate, with a shorter, more clipped finish than previously.

+28 hours
Tannins seem to be pronouncing themselves on the palate as time goes on. This definitely makes the port not quite as smooth and nice as yesterday, or even earlier today. It does change my opinion of the lifespan of this Vintage Port, which previously I may have been tempted to say would be a shorter-term drinker. Now the fact that the tannins are and much more present than previously, leads to me to believe there is still room for much improvement ahead once this young’un heads down for a long sleep and some necessary evolution.

+32 hours
A quick glass before heading off to bed is paired with some aged Canadian cheddar and the sharp tang of the cheese is actually a decent accompaniment, being as bold and strong as the ripe tannins, which have all but masked the fruit experienced in earlier experiences.

I would have rated this port much higher during the first 12 hours after decanting. If you are going to open one of these early, I would heartily recommend a short decanting time – the optimal drinking window I found was between 2 and 8 hours. Prior to 2 hrs was decent, but with some spirit present, after 12 hours the tannins started taking over and were more dominant than I prefer.

The score:
Between the 2 hour and 8 hour mark: 7 or possibly 8 for immediate enjoyment. This hovers just in and out of the top quartile for ports I have tried this year. Ten years from now, I do imagine this guy will be extremely closed so I would have to go with a 7-2 or 8-2.
After 10 hours of decanter time: this falls at least 2, and 3 notches from the 8 to a solid middle of the pack (for a young VP). That places it at a 5-2 as in ten years the drinkability will be worse than it is today (I suspect). Given 15 to 20 years however and this port could rate very highly. Perhaps a 7 for the long term. (just a guess)

Edited to keep continuity:

+3 days
A small glass today proves that the port has gone downhill, becoming worse than the previous couple of sips. The evolution is towards the raw, vegetal side of things. Still, the tannins are pronounced.

+4 days
The decanter was poured back into the clean bottle and left in the basement (cooler temperature) until I could get to the rest. This is horrid at this point. While difficult to describe, it tastes as though someone took all the grape stalks, stems and seed and tried making something that they called port after the grapes have been used to make real port. Yikes, raw and vegetal. Strong green peppers, fermenting green beans and something else equally nasty but unidentifiable.

I will re-state: if you plan to drink this port this early, do so before 10 hours of decanter time is reached. It is excellent up until this point. Beyond a day, it goes worse quick and gets to the undrinkable state that I find it in now. Sadly, I still have at least a 3 oz pour remaining. Perhaps 2 more smaller tastes left to see if anything changes (oh how I pray!)

Todd
Last edited by Todd Pettinger on Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rich Greenberg
Location: Redwood City, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Rich Greenberg »

Step one toward participating in my first FTLOP Virtual Tasting has been completed.....I have acquired a target! Unfortunately, my wife and I have a self-imposed slim budget for June (well, a contest, really to see who can have the larget % drop in the cc bill from May to June....) So, I haven't been perusing the wine shops much as it is difficult to avoid buying something......

I was at Robert's in Woodside today, and they had a 2004 Quinta do Retiro Novo (Krohn, I believe) for $25. Not sure if this is cheap or expensive for this port, but figured that it would be a good target for the VT. Now I just need it to cool down a bit so that I can enjoy it a bit more....

I was going to post a TNR, but thought I go into this one with no preconceived notions. TN to come soon....

Rich
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Rich Greenberg wrote:I was at Robert's in Woodside today, and they had a 2004 Quinta do Retiro Novo (Krohn, I believe) for $25. Not sure if this is cheap or expensive for this port, but figured that it would be a good target for the VT. Now I just need it to cool down a bit so that I can enjoy it a bit more....
Wine-searcher only shows two hits for this wine (I have the non-pro version :cry:) and $25USd is just below the two prices that are shown. it seems to be the "about-right" price. :)

Look forward to seeing that TN as I have never heard of this producer.

Todd
Todd Pettinger

Continuation of the TN: Quinta de Roriz - 2004 (Todd)

Post by Todd Pettinger »

+10 hours
No noteworthy changes except to the level in the decanter – this stuff is very good and drinking very well right now.

+12 hours
A post-midnight awakening by my two year old hearkened me to the decanter after a brief diaper change and rocking her back to sleep. Still extremely silky and smooth. Any spice that may have been present has disappeared. Plums are taking a back seat to the black cherries.

+21 hours
The fresh fruit explosions are beginning to dull out, but the silky smoothness is still there. Tears are still flowing a solid purple that stain the sides of the glass. The spirit is still completely integrated.

+25 hours
The plumy seems to have come forward on the palate, dominating the richer flavours of the dark cherries. This gives the impression that the port is losing steam and is dulling out. Anise and cassis on the mid-palate, with a shorter, more clipped finish than previously.

+28 hours
Tannins seem to be pronouncing themselves on the palate as time goes on. This definitely makes the port not quite as smooth and nice as yesterday, or even earlier today. It does change my opinion of the lifespan of this Vintage Port, which previously I may have been tempted to say would be a shorter-term drinker. Now the fact that the tannins are and much more present than previously, leads to me to believe there is still room for much improvement ahead once this young’un heads down for a long sleep and some necessary evolution.

+32 hours
A quick glass before heading off to bed is paired with some aged Canadian cheddar and the sharp tang of the cheese is actually a decent accompaniment, being as bold and strong as the ripe tannins, which have all but masked the fruit experienced in earlier experiences.

I would have rated this port much higher during the first 12 hours after decanting. If you are going to open one of these early, I would heartily recommend a short decanting time – the optimal drinking window I found was between 2 and 8 hours. Prior to 2 hrs was decent, but with some spirit present, after 12 hours the tannins started taking over and were more dominant than I prefer.

The score:
Between the 2 hour and 8 hour mark: 7 or possibly 8 for immediate enjoyment. This hovers just in and out of the top quartile for ports I have tried this year. Ten years from now, I do imagine this guy will be extremely closed so I would have to go with a 7-2 or 8-2.
After 10 hours of decanter time: this falls at least 2, and 3 notches from the 8 to a solid middle of the pack (for a young VP). That places it at a 5-2 as in ten years the drinkability will be worse than it is today (I suspect). Given 15 to 20 years however and this port could rate very highly. Perhaps a 7 for the long term. (just a guess)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Alan,

Really nice TN, we knew you had it in ya. The Ca'lem 2004 is a decent but not great VP that does need time to come together and is not one of the Ports from the vintage which shows really well, yet. It will be an interesting one to follow but the 2005 is better, imo!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

One more follow up on the Roriz VP 2004 TN (Todd)

Post by Todd Pettinger »

+3 days
A small glass today proves that the port has gone downhill, becoming worse than the previous couple of sips. The evolution is towards the raw, vegetal side of things. Still, the tannins are pronounced.

+4 days
The decanter was poured back into the clean bottle and left in the basement (cooler temperature) until I could get to the rest. This is horrid at this point. While difficult to describe, it tastes as though someone took all the grape stalks, stems and seed and tried making something that they called port after the grapes have been used to make real port. Yikes, raw and vegetal. Strong green peppers, fermenting green beans and something else equally nasty but unidentifiable.

I will re-state: if you plan to drink this port this early, do so before 10 hours of decanter time is reached. It is excellent up until this point. Beyond a day, it goes worse quick and gets to the undrinkable state that I find it in now. Sadly, I still have at least a 3 oz pour remaining. Perhaps 2 more smaller tastes left to see if anything changes (oh how I pray!)

Todd