What is your normal tool used to open your Port bottles?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

What is your normal tool used to open your Port bottles?

Post by Roy Hersh »

There are so many products out there. I tend to use different ones depending on the age and condition of the bottle. I use a waiter's friend, an Ah So, Screwpull and others.

I am curious as to what others use to extract new and old corks from Port bottles. Thanks.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I've had good luck the Rabbit. Perfect centering, precise leverage. I also use a waiters corkscrew and pull out the cork like a t-handle.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Rich Greenberg
Location: Redwood City, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Rich Greenberg »

Lever pull, screwpull and waiter's friend on younger ones. Very cautious use of the screwpull with older ones (hey, it's all I got.)

R
Johannes Stadler

Post by Johannes Stadler »

I began with the normal waiters friend, then the Screwpull which i like better becaus it bends the cork less, and last time i used the Ah-So which was very nice except it rips on the sides of the cork.

I look forward to buing some tongs, but we'll see - hard to find them in Europe...
Greetings, Johannes Stadler
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Waiters friend and Ah-so mostly, depending on the corks condition. And for those old corks that i know will not come out in one piece, and where I dont plan on keeping the bottle, the Tongs.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

When at home, I always use a waiter's friend, which is all I have. For me this seems to work as good or better than anything else.

Jay
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

I must admit Roy I use the same method as you depending upon age
Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

Ah-so for nearly everything. It's simple and effective. Some day I'd like to give port tongs a try though.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

The Ah-so is my tool of choice. I have resorted to a waiter's friend on occasion or to get stubborn bits of broken cork that are still stuck in the neck out. I have a Screwpull which I sometimes use for normal bottles of wine, particularly the cheaper ones my wife enjoys which come with a majority of plastic-y fake corks. I have once resorted to the corkscrew on my swiss army knife (in a hotel room and it worked great), which is actually pretty flat instead of rounded and seems to be decent at getting into the cork without pushing it down.

Todd
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Waiters friend, but if I feel the cork is soft and the interior is as risk of ripping out, I'll switch to the Ah-So. Since my trip to Gaia, however, I've been using the tongs as much as possible.
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

Thanks to this the Ah-So. Warning, however, don't let a relative try it for the first time in front of a group. Let's say plunge splash and a red face (and not due to port splashin up on him) :oops:
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Right... and I forgot to include - I want a set of port tongs so I can try this out as soon as possible. :D

Todd
nicos neocleous

Post by nicos neocleous »

simon Lisle wrote:I must admit Roy I use the same method as you depending upon age
I agree.
YOLO