1963 Calem - comments needed

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jay Hack

1963 Calem - comments needed

Post by Jay Hack »

I have a bottle of 1963 Calem VP. I got it about 18 months ago as a gift from another collector. I know nothing about it, except that there is a big huge ugly orange plastic capsule that looks new and looks like it will take a sawzall to remove it, and there are some mediocre Parker reviews of later Calem ports. Anyone know anything? I am prepared to share at a wine dinner in NYC, or use for one of my charity dinners at home.
Thanks Roy
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I cannot comment on the wine, as I've not had it...but becareful removing those plastic capsules. The worst idea I've ever seen to cap a bottle with. They are so hard to remove and I'm always afraid i will cut a finger off in the process.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jay Hack

Post by Jay Hack »

Bump. Nobody knows anything?
Thanks Roy
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Generally speaking older Calem vintages are somewhat better than the more recent bottlings. Calem '70 as well as '85 are probably their best VPs over the last 50 years. With that being said Calem '63 is O.K. but not exceptional and certainly not up to the standard of that vintage. You'll probably find it to be on the sweeter side with a light to medium body and a short finish. Not as complex as some, but still an enjoyable port nonetheless. Drink up!