Port on the rocks

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Grant M.

Port on the rocks

Post by Grant M. »

I just read the "basic" port article Roy had linked to from the Smithsonian Magazine - it mentions that the trendy crowd is drinking port on the rocks. I had never even considered that - is it the ultimate disrespect for port lovers? Has anyone tried it - if so is it enjoyable?
Gustavo Devesas

Post by Gustavo Devesas »

It's always good in my opinion to try new combinations.
I will NOT consider it a disrespect, I think if it makes more people to drink Port it's always GOOD, is a little bit like the French having the little melon with Port...or using Port to cook, of course that you will not use a classy Port for that... :lol:
For me there's no more surprise after I've started to see the US lovers opening and drinking baby VP, just arrived from being corked... this we call WINE GENOCIDE! :lol: :lol: :lol:
But I LOVE this new aproach from the American style, it's much more fun and better for the market that the old fancy british style..."Oh no never open a VP younger then 10years old in the bottle" I hear this everyday at Vinologia and it makes me :x ahah!
I now know that there are plenty of Ports for each ocasion, my friends and I'm not only speaking about VP!!!
:twisted:
Together we fall, united we stand.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I had a port on the rocks of a type last night - equal measures of tonic and white port poured over ice and with a few torn leaves of fresh mint.

It was rather nice and the best thing we could have done with that particular white port.

Alex
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Al B. wrote:I had a port on the rocks of a type last night - equal measures of tonic and white port poured over ice and with a few torn leaves of fresh mint.

It was rather nice and the best thing we could have done with that particular white port.

Alex
I've heard of only white port as mentioned above served with ice. I do know someone whose dad drink port and cognac 50/50.... From her side, he likes it a little too much, too often... :devil:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

While I won't put ice in my Port (white Port and tonic excluded), If that is what you like then by all means put ice in your drink. In the end it is what ever you fancy.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Ruby on the rocks with a bit of sparkling water can be quite refreshing as well.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Ifune wrote:Ruby on the rocks with a bit of sparkling water can be quite refreshing as well.
That actually sounds swell. I may have to give it a go this summer.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Ruby or White on the rocks with some tonic does actually sound decent! I'm almost surprised to hear myself saying that (or see my self typing it in this case.)

VP, or even Tawny/Colheita - I just couldn't do it unless it was an awful VP and I was desperate to try to find SOME way of finishing the bottle.

Todd
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Although it might be considered "trendy" these days, it is far from new in Portugal. I had my first Port Tonic at Quinta do Bomfim in May 1994 and many since then.

This is not something that denigrates Port and is a fun summer sipper!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Stewart T.

White Port on the Rocks

Post by Stewart T. »

I had some not-really-Port-drinking friends over this evening to try a wide variety of Ports - old vs. young colheitas, tawny vs. ruby, etc. I gave them a white Port with tonic and mint, and they loved it.... However, they asked me if this particular drink had a name.

Anyone know if there is a name for White Port and Tonic with Mint other than "White Port with Tonic and Mint?"
Stewart T. (Admin) admin@fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have seen it marketed this way: Portonic

Given how drinks need a fashonable name, I'd suggest either:

Portuguese Squeeze

OR

Portuguese Breeze
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Roy, you may need to trademark those names! :) Very good!

Todd
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I tried port-on-the-rocks this past weekend and I must say that I was somewhat disappointed. Although I think that there it has the potential of being a nice refreshing drink - a liitle more tinkering will need to be done to fine tune the taste. I did try altering the mix a bit by combining 50% white port, 25% tonic & 25% sparkling water. This new mix was an improvement, but I'm still not quite satisfied with the result.