Taking a Trip to Lisbon

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Gabriella Opaz

Taking a Trip to Lisbon

Post by Gabriella Opaz »

Sorry for the long delay in posting on the forum, but life has been a whirlwind and unfortunately, I haven't been as diligent commenting as I'd like. However, I was hoping for some help. Ryan and I have some business in Lisbon near the end of July and are looking for some suggestions as to where you have enjoyed Port related activities, drinking or otherwise, in Lisbon.

Thanks,
Gabriella
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Gabriella,

Nice to have you back with us. Please send my regards to Ryan and tell him he has been missed here. I hope you have been enjoying your teaching and time in Spain!

As to Lisboa, hopefully some of our residents will speak up. The IVDP or Port & Douro Wine Institute has one of their great SOLARs in Lisboa, which is a "do not miss" experience. It is really a very fun place to check out a bazillion Ports, by the glass or otherwise. :lol:

If you want to check out some of the wine shops downtown, they are amongst the very best in the country in terms of Madeira and Port too, especially old Colheitas.

I hope you will get to the Alfama district at night to take in the excellent Fado music experience. My favorite place to walk in and have a few drinks and tapas is TAVERNA del REI.

Now let me get a friend in here who might be able to shed some more light for you. Have a great time and enjoy Portugal.

Best regards!

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gabriella Opaz

Post by Gabriella Opaz »

Roy,

Thanks so much for your suggestions. We've been in a quandary here in Spain because as much as we would love to drink more Port, we just haven't had the selection of Portuguese wine to choose from. So unfortunately, we've been relatively quiet on the subject. Hopefully, this will change when we dedicate the entire month of August solely to Portuguese wine. Plus, I trust that after a trip to Lisbon, we'll have plenty of questions that we will field to your readers about our experience! :wink:

With that in mind, any other suggestions for good restaurants, cafes, bars, museums etc. where we can experience something new?
Last edited by Gabriella Opaz on Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I've been to Lisboa once only and on a Sunday so it was pretty quiet. Still I was able to visit some nice place. What you don't want to miss to visit is the St-George castle. You can take a city tour bus that will cover that nice place or just go there by yourself.

You also want to take a walk on the river Tagus banks so see the impressive Explorators monument, the Belem tower and the kilometer long(maybe less) Geronimo Monestary. The fountain in front of it is really nice to see by the night as it changes color every 5 secs or so. On that river side there is a few good restaurants and bars.

The best place I've seen for shops and restaurants is just a bit north of what they call "commercial place" There is a big gate there that when you cross it leads to walking only streets filled with shops and restaurants. Around there you can take an elevator that was built to get across city sections because Lisbon is built on 7 hills(if not 5) but it is now use to get a great view of the city.

I hope this helps, have a great trip and don't be shy to contact me if you need more specific details, I'd be glad to do some searches.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

There is a very nice wine bar in the city center, but I forgot the name. It's owned by the main editor of the Revista de Vinhos. I'm sure either Steven K. or Mario Ferreira can help you with the name, since we were there with the three of us.

Garrafeira Nacional is a must for wine shopping.
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

The wine bar Ronald refers to is called Chafariz do Vinho, and is indeed a must visit!
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Indeed, that's it!
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

Hi Gabriella,

one restaurant in Lisbon I suggest you to try is the Eleven.
I've never been there myself but have heard great reviews about it.

There's one restaurant in particular I really enjoy for the fresh fish: The Mercado do Peixe. Its name translates into english as "the fish market".
Guests chose the fish in a look like fish market counter and will see it being grilled right next to the counter. Cool :)

While in Lisbon you should also try the world famous Pasteis de Belém (Belém's portuguese egg tartes).

MF
PORTugal, One Country, 800 Years of History, 11 Distinct Regions plus Azores and Madeira, and Thousands of Wines :-)
Gabriella Opaz

Thank you

Post by Gabriella Opaz »

Thank you for all of your suggestions. You've made our list of "places to visit" so much more interesting, and we will give you the full story of our trip upon our return. In the meantime, if any other ideas come to mind, please don't hesitate to let us know. And Roy, thank you for creating such a great space for me to come and ask for ideas.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Gabriella,

You are most welcome. Again, please send my regards to Ryan and have a fabulous trip!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
jud reis

Re: Taking a Trip to Lisbon

Post by jud reis »

Thank you for all the suggestions in this thread. We will be in Lisbon for the first time next year as part of my 50th birthday trip. I am wondering if you have any recommendations for places to stay. We are looking to make this a very special trip, so looking for a special hotel. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

How upscale do you want to go? That will depend on the answer. Are you heading up North too?
jud reis

Post by jud reis »

Roy - Unfortunately, I will only have a couple of days in Lisbon, and then heading by boat to Morroco and Spain. We would be willing to go pretty upscale- as much as 300 Euros a night. Particularly interested in a hotel that is well located with excellent service. Thanks for your response!
Stewart T.

Post by Stewart T. »

My wife and I just returned from a trip to Lisbon, combined with joining up with Roy's FTLOP Harvest Tour.

Link to photos is below, included our dinner at the FADO restaurant Roy recommended, Taverna del Rei. I haven't had a chance yet to caption all of these photos nor to upload any of them to Portraits, but thought I'd share anywhere.

We had such a wonderful time there. Enjoy!

http://picasaweb.google.com/stewartltod ... directlink
Stewart T. (Admin) [email protected]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Here is another option:

SANA Lisboa Hotel
web: http://www.lisboa.sanahotels.com/en/

The hotel is very good. the location is great and prices are amazing for this month, below 100 euros !!!!
Daniel R.

Post by Daniel R. »

jud reis wrote:We would be willing to go pretty upscale- as much as 300 Euros a night. Particularly interested in a hotel that is well located with excellent service. Thanks for your response!
http://www.bairroaltohotel.com/pt/index.php

Ask for a room with a river view!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

We skipped Lisbon, other than the airport, and went straight to Porto a few years ago. But with Stuart's pictures, the hotel websites, and restaurant reviews, I think we may have to spend some time there next time through.
jud reis

Post by jud reis »

Thank you all for the suggestions. Much appreciated!