Port v Sherry

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Ole,

Wow... thank you, what a thorough description and history. I can definitely keep my eye open for some of these Sherries, but I can almost bet that I will not be finding many (if any) near me. ;)

Todd
nicos neocleous

Post by nicos neocleous »

I love both Port and Sherry, especially the sweet versions!
YOLO
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

I have NEVER had a Sherry, what can be recommended for me to try as an entry level Sherry?
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I've some fine old Sandeman Sherries that I've had in bottle for almost 20 years now. Will open one on occasion and still marvel at the depth and complexity. These are labeled Old Amoroso and UUV Oloroso. They're not particularly sweet, nor are they very dry.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Eric Ifune wrote:I've some fine old Sandeman Sherries that I've had in bottle for almost 20 years now.
I was in the wine store the other day and saw some Sandeman branded Sherry and I laughed out loud in the store. It was interesting to see a brand name that I so associate with Port only, on a Sherry label.

I still have not tried a Sherry yet, but I think I will go back and purchase one of the Sandemans. Recognizable names are always good places to start. :)

Todd
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Raj Patil wrote:I have NEVER had a Sherry, what can be recommended for me to try as an entry level Sherry?
Lustau "Los Arcos" is a great one for about $12.00. Any of the Lustau's are good and they do a great job of describing the flavor on the label.

For a little more money, the Lustau "Don Nuno" is wonderful.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Sandemans is probably as famous for its sherries as it is for its ports. Their "Royal" series is excellent. They used to have an even higher end "Imperial" series, but I believe, unfortunately, it is discontinued. If you get one, you'll be in for a treat.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

sherry tasting?

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

What I need is to be invited to a sherry tasting. I acquired my father’s taste for Tio Pepe, but have never found a dry sherry that greatly excites me. Hmmm: Julian Wiseman accepts the kind invitation of insert name here to a sherry tasting on date at location.
Gabriella Opaz

Sherry Month at Catavino

Post by Gabriella Opaz »

Post edited 12:25 a.m. on 7/30/07 for failure to obtain permission prior to promoting one's own website on FTLOP.

Plus, if anyone has any thoughts as to why sherry is still cast in the wine world shadows, continually seen as an old-school drink, we'd love to hear about it. It's a subject that completely stumps us and we'd appreciate your insight as to ways we can change this false and archaic image.

Saludos,
Gabriella Opaz
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Julian,

I am with you about the Fino and other dry styles of Sherry. I've had my share, yet it does not appeal to me. However, I prefer the dry styles of Madeira to the sweet ones, so it is not a dry vs. sweet thing. I guess, I just don't get the love from dry Sherry and never will. Of course PX is a lot of fun; yet Oloroso and Amontillado tend more to my liking.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com