Port only or Port+Wine?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

David Sweet

Port only or Port+Wine?

Post by David Sweet »

Just curious--do folks on the BB drink:

A. Port only
B. Primarily Port+ some table wine
C. Primarily table wine + some Port

David
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

You could have run a survey on this with the poll option :wink:

I'm drinking and buying more portuguese wines at the moment. It use to be only Port a few years ago before the dry wines boom. Though I still own and keep more Ports
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Robert O.

Post by Robert O. »

I mostly drink table wine, especially during the summer, but love a nice glass of port after dinner. Although, I am much more interested in port and only collect port. Port is as special treat for me where table wine is something a enjoy with dinner.

Bob
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

"B" for me.

Although the Port drinking does slow down a bit in summer. Not because of the heat, but due to more bicycle training and racing. Hard to drink lots and still try and train effectively. But by October it is full swing again 8--)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I'm "Port Only" (okay, a very rare table wine - but I haven't found too many tables that I enjoy - especially red. Not a huge fan of dry wines in general.)

Although tonight I'm sipping on a (very good) ice wine. :oops: I needed a bit of a change and it was a discount sale at a local retailer. At the price I paid, I'm going back for more tomorrow! :cool:

Todd
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Are you sitting down ... "C" for me. Seriously!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

C for me or my stocks of port would run seriously low as my bank account.
Michael C.

Post by Michael C. »

Tough one to answer...

The number of table wines in my cellar certainly outnumber the ports. What I actually drink, however, is another story. I'd probably have to go with the unlisted (D) option -- I tend to consume (on a per-glass basis) equal amounts of table wine and port.

The nice thing about port is its resilience (I prefer the aged tawnies) ... I can open a bottle one night and let it sit around for several months without worrying about it going bad. Table wine isn't so forgiving. Given this, I have a glass of port just about every night of the week. I have to wait for guests to open my table wines. ;)
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

Mine is an ammended "C" primarily table with some Port and other sweeties mixed in as well.
Scott Anaya
Lars F

Post by Lars F »

I would have to say C as well. Port is for special occations, or when I want to spoil myself, but if money was not an issue I'd probably drink more port than I do today :D
Alex R
Location: LA LA Land, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Alex R »

E for me. E=cigars + Port+ some table wine :joker:
Bill Crann

Post by Bill Crann »

Put me down as C. As much as I like a port in the evening or a cold Sunday afternoon while reading a book, I drink regular wine much more often with practically every dinner. There isn't usually room in my tummy or time for a port after dinner. Port is more or less a desert for me.
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I'd fall into the "B" category. By and large I drink port (in all of its variations) most of the time, although I do have quite a bit of dry wine in cellar. For the most part I consume dry wines with meals and typically I'll have port on its own.
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

A. here, 98% of commercial wine consumed is port. Non-commercial is the wine that I make personally.