Recommend a good colheita

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Michael C.

Post by Michael C. »

Todd Pettinger wrote:Barros and Kopke are the most-represented with 5 of 7 of those wines listed:
1967 Barros
1977 Barros
<<one is missing here... Can't recall off the top of my head the producer or year...:?)
1990 Kopke
1994 Calem
1994 Kopke
1997 Kopke
Despite the fact that they are, perhaps, the most widely distributed ports in this part of the country, Barros and Kopke are my two absolute favorite port houses (to visit) in all of Gaia. I'd really like to get my hands on some of their Colheitas, as the ones I have tried were outstanding (at least the 30+ year ones).

Since I have the sheet sitting in front of me, I'll share the "scores" that Kopke assigned these Colheita vintages (these are out of 7) ... just in case you're curious:

1967 - 5
1977 - 5
1990 - 4
1994 - N/A
1997 - N/A

Thanks for the info on pricing, too. Assuming the final TN is as good as your initial review, I may shell out the cash and pick up the '77 for my cellar.

G'Night!
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I think it will be worth it. The Kopke does seem to float my boat a bit more than the Barros, but both very nice introductions (for me) in to the worls of Colheitas. Unfortunately, I have now tried 4 of the 7 available in the city. The '67 likely won't be purchased for a while - too many young VPs to purchase for cellaring prior to that!

Todd
Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

Hi Robert,

As others already mentioned, the '74 Noval is very nice. Here are a few more Colheita's I've recently enjoyed that should fit your criteria:
1991 Rocha
1977 Barros
1976 Niepoort

Look for producers such as Kopke, Noval, Rocha, and Niepoort. They are generally good to excellent quality at reasonable prices for their younger stuff.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I hope that this might provide some information that you will find useful:

http://www.fortheloveofport.com/articles/a_colheita.htm - explains the nomenclature and provides a solid educational background into Colheita Ports.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Robert O.

Post by Robert O. »

Very informative article, Roy. Thanks. I admit until recently being a bit intimidated by colheita's as I wasn't quite sure what they were. Now I am very psyched to try them out.

Can hardly wait until I am back to NYC next month and I can start tracking down some of these suggestions. Unfortunately with weather here in Kansas City consistently in the 90's and 100's, shipping some colheitas here is out of the question. And I do so find myself in the mood for chilled tawny port with the weather so hot!